IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Apple priced themselves out for me a while back
I now live in a world where I no longer have a disposable computer.

Needed some more compute recently, so I upgraded the 2013-vintage i5 to a Ryzen 5 1600 hexacore. This needed a new board, but no biggie. But the best part is my old board is now doing sterling service in a friend's computer. His ancient AMD Phenom board has gone to a charity shop, where it'll probably end up displacing an old Celeron board or something.

There are lots of reasons I dislike Apple's direction of travel over the past 5-8 years (thinness above all, those awful butterfly keyboards, unserviceable and un-upgradeable machines, a complete antipathy to independent repair, and some piss-awful software bugs that even MS would be ashamed of) but top of the list, by a long, long way, is the reframing of the personal computer as a pretty much totally disposable appliance.

And this is a shame, because I do like OS X. MacOS. macOS. Whatever it's called today :)
New The MacBook Pro I had for my previous job was a jewel
Every day I'm using the Lenovo I'm wishing for the Mac back.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook April 30, 2018, 07:43:12 PM EDT
New I'm used to the butterfly keyboard now.
My previous external keyboard feels mushy and difficult to use now.

Of course, I hope I don't get a crumb under the space bar...

With respect to unserviceable and non-upgradable machines, it really hasn't been an issue for me. I just replaced the battery in my 4yo MBP ($300, got a free keyboard and trackpad out of it), and now my son is using it. Helluva lot cheaper than buying him his own machine. My dad is still using my old 1,1 MBP for that matter. Every Windows laptop I've ever had lived less time than the Macs, so disposable doesn't really seem to be a thing in comparison.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Only thing I've ever done to a laptop was max the RAM
Every other time, I could get something new for barely more than the cost of the upgrades I was looking at.

We may be getting to the point that the improvements slow down, but I've always stayed a generation behind the bleeding edge anyway.
--

Drew
New Re: Only thing I've ever done to a laptop was max the RAM
As recounted here a couple of years ago, I quadrupled the RAM in my 2009 MacBook Pro and swapped in a solid-state drive, and the rejuvenation was something to behold. The machine is still, at its advanced age, goddamn zippy, and can function as a production unit (not that there’s much call for that thing from Old Black Rand these days, but I could, at need, turn out pretty much anything I used to do on my twin iMacs back in the BDS era).

The present home unit, the 2010-to-2012 (firmware upgrade) cheesegrater with 64GB, continues to be a trouper, particularly since the evil beancounters at Mudbrick appear to have lost track of my copy of their “Fanciful Fog” suite of graphic goodness. I note, however, that Apple will shortly be end-lifing, in some landmark-named OS iteration to come, all “32-bit” applications. I’ve sat through that movie about three times since 1993, and do not propose to do so again, so whatever baubles, bangles and bright shiny beads may accompany those releases, I will likely stay with old-fashioned functionality. But hey, it has been a good ride for the past thirty-four years since the platform was introduced, and I made a reasonably remunerative living off it from 1987 until seven months ago, so no hard feelings.

cordially,
     A lengthy exchange re Apple 'Service' du jour (though it was in '17) - (Ashton) - (7)
         TonymacX86 - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Arrr, Matey.. thanks for the update on the craft.. - (Ashton)
         Apple priced themselves out for me a while back - (pwhysall) - (4)
             The MacBook Pro I had for my previous job was a jewel - (drook)
             I'm used to the butterfly keyboard now. - (malraux) - (2)
                 Only thing I've ever done to a laptop was max the RAM - (drook) - (1)
                     Re: Only thing I've ever done to a laptop was max the RAM - (rcareaga)

I strongly recommend 72 as a good default.
42 ms