IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What about Turkey?
I read recently that there is an older treaty that means if Russia tries to occupy Crimea, it actually reverts to Turkey. Unfortunately, the Wikipedia article about said treaty is not an easy read.

http://en.wikipedia....of_Küçük_Kaynarca

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New You're right!
Crimea and the Tatar inhabitants were a protectorate of the Ottoman empire.
Alex

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov
New well that is why the Crimean war started inittially
russians trying to protect slavs and orthodox christians was it not?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Russia was in an expansioinst mode.
The Tatars hadn't quite figured out that agriculture thing made regular marauding raids deep into Ukraine and even Polish territories. They brought the grain, goods, young women and some boys back to Crimea. They exported slaves to Turkey. The Cossacks were established on the Dnieper River near the current city of Zaporizhia (and various other spellings) to keep them at bay.

Kathrine II tried to push back the Ottoman empire all around the Black Sea, out of the Balkans, and even hoped to return Constantinople to Christian control. That didn't quite happen, but Crimea was invaded and captured in 1768.
Alex

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov
New they needed a warm water port and cuba was too far back then
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New But hey, with global warming . . .
. . they can have as many ports as they want - they don't even need Sevastopol.
New When the heck isn't it...
New when it is being invaded by the europeans or the turks
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
     Interesting - The Ruble is weaker now then during the GrRec. - (Another Scott) - (21)
         dunno, with putin asserting (rightfully) control over the - (boxley) - (20)
             No, I think they'll run away. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 No, that was airlines. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                     That too. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     "Was" is the operative word there. - (a6l6e6x)
             Rightfully? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 So the charge of the lightbrigade was against the tartars? - (boxley) - (1)
                     Sevastopol != Crimea - (pwhysall)
             Rightfully my ass! - (a6l6e6x) - (12)
                 So it was not part of the ukraine at the time of your birth - (boxley) - (11)
                     One hell of a cost in lives . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Check your Wikipedia. - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
                         I thought they already did? -NT - (boxley)
                         What about Turkey? - (static) - (7)
                             You're right! - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                                 well that is why the Crimean war started inittially - (boxley) - (5)
                                     Russia was in an expansioinst mode. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                                         they needed a warm water port and cuba was too far back then -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                             But hey, with global warming . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                         When the heck isn't it... -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                             when it is being invaded by the europeans or the turks -NT - (boxley)

My other car is a blancmange.
62 ms