IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well...it depends on what you mean by hazard...
..it would hurt if they dumped it on your head;-)

WV has a very predictable topography in coal country....mountain, gully with stream, mountain. When they mine the tops...they push the dirt into the gully...filling it in. After they remove the coal...they take some of the dirt back out and rebuild the hill.

It does ruin the landscape...that is certain...but in all my years in WV...there wasn't any problems with the water associated with mining (except for retention dams bursting...causing very deadly flash floods). There are some issues with acid build with certain types of coal.

WIll look to see if I can find a study done on wellwater...but these areas are generally pretty remote. They make the middle of nowhere look exciting.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
Expand Edited by bepatient May 10, 2002, 01:59:33 AM EDT
New Beep?
It's not just acid build. The colored rocks next to the streams, brooks, and rivers are mineral deposits - and it's not just from the coal, but from the tailings, too. The red is iron, the green is copper, etc., etc. Pollution - and poisonous when the level rises too high...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Pick pick pick
...them cullerd roks sher r perty tho ;-)

Historically they did just >leave< after the process...in which case there was always the risk of mineral poisoning. (whcih you pointed out in the post below) IIRC there are requirements that as much of the material removed be put back and relandscaped after the mining occurs.

But most of these streams cut through these seams naturally also...especially when they hit river size. Cheat River/lake is green for a reason. It cuts through a copper seam.

I know its more complicated than the >just dirt< argument I started with...but as you also pointed out in your other post...despite our best efforts to kill the place...WV is still a state with more natural beauty than nearly anywhere else I've ever been (Sedona AZ is #1). Over 100 years of mining hasn't caused any 'Love Canal' type events. And with the new relandscaping requirements...most of the mineral leaching is eliminated (not all).

There's your trade-off though...eliminate the ability of the state to capitalize on its most valuable commodity because someone sees a technicality in the law to exploit...and garnering the attention of all of the folks from outside the region...who can then fall over themselves to talk about how "this is the worst thing to happen to the clean water act since inception."...and the NERVE of that guy...he's from NEW JERSEY!!! Home of the 5 foot aquafer and toxic landfills.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
     EPA against clean water. - (Silverlock) - (43)
         ..if you'll stop throwing cig-butts in out urinals, - (Ashton)
         You do realize that they're talking about dirt. - (bepatient) - (41)
             May just be dirt - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
                 Well...it depends on what you mean by hazard... - (bepatient) - (2)
                     Beep? - (imric) - (1)
                         Pick pick pick - (bepatient)
                 Kewl, first REVERSE 'due'/'do' error I've seen; intentional? -NT - (CRConrad)
             Uh... Beep. - (imric)
             I am aghast. - (Silverlock) - (34)
                 Don't get me involved. - (Brandioch) - (7)
                     Cool... - (bepatient) - (6)
                         If the shoe fits, wear it. - (Brandioch) - (5)
                             Read the other post... - (bepatient) - (4)
                                 Case is here (.PDF). - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                     Al punte - in second link: - (Ashton) - (2)
                                         Make a buck now and poison land for the future? - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                             Propose: world meeting of Corp CIEIOS and BODs of top 1000 - (Ashton)
                 Shouldn't be... - (bepatient) - (25)
                     Yes I should. - (Silverlock) - (3)
                         Interesting - (bepatient) - (2)
                             Appeasement - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                 Ouch... - (bepatient)
                     Y'know Beep, despite your protests often - (Ashton) - (20)
                         It is hard to be humble... - (bepatient) - (19)
                             Thank you - That I can understand. - (Ashton) - (18)
                                 Zero-sum vs equilibrium - (Brandioch) - (17)
                                     Re: Zero-sum vs equilibrium - (bepatient) - (16)
                                         You make it far too easy. - (Brandioch) - (15)
                                             Sure... - (bepatient) - (14)
                                                 Just establishing criteria. - (Brandioch) - (13)
                                                     Not - (bepatient) - (12)
                                                         Let's take it from the top. - (Brandioch) - (11)
                                                             *Yawn* - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                 Double *Yawn* - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                                                     Can you keep up? - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                         With you? Dunno... But I *know* that *you* can keep up. - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                                                             Couple of things. - (bepatient)
                                                                             Inject some science here - (boxley)
                                                                             My observations. - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                                                                 Hmmm. - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                                     Bill "Strawman" Patient. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                                                         Oh... - (bepatient)
                                                                                         there need not be 2 -NT - (bepatient)

We fly with a sort of irrational confidence.
68 ms