IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Fine.
I dunno.

I think it's more productive to say what needs to be changed than to get peoples' back's up by calling them Stasi and the like.

Which reminds me, again, of http://forum.iwethey...iwt?postid=379228

Righteous indignation is righteous. It doesn't usually get much done though.

Cheers,
Scott.
New But Scott...
I linked the other day to a story in the NYT in which a former Stasi Lieutenant Colonel made the comparison (adding admiringly that the NSA was doing it on a scale his old outfit only dreamed of). So are you saying that we oughtn't make the comparison because some people might be offended or have their fee-fees hurt? Geez, man, if the jackboot fits...

What needs to be changed? How about we find out where someone has hidden the Fourth Amendment, and put it back in the Bill of Rights? How about deciding that "preventing another 9/11" isn't worth living under High Brezhnevism, or at least how about having that national conversation? Suppose we entertain the possibility that there's no guarantee that these intrusive surveillances will always always be conducted by blameless, disinterested civil servants without political agendas? I mean, geez, the White House—this White House—went trolling through phone records (mere metadata folks, nothing to see here, move along) of reporters hoping to find links to leaky executive branch munchkins. Even if you trust Obama with these tools, these powers (and he has demonstrated to my dissatisfaction that he is either disinclined or unable to prevent the abuses we know about, much less the larger abuses I do not doubt have yet to be revealed), do you want them left lying around to be picked up by President Ted Cruz?

This is very, very bad stuff. We had a few previews of how bad it might be during the Cheney Shogunate. If you review the Brandon Mayfield case and conclude that because the feds subsequently "apologized" and hence "the system works," then there's no hope for you. If the Spanish authorities hadn't screamed bloody murder on the purported print match, he'd have spent much, much longer in the hole. There was a supposed case of father-and-son "terrorists" in California in 2005. I know someone closely conversant with the case (I will not further identify the individual, but s/he was at that time in a position to make this pronouncement with authority) who asserted, with real anguish, that the two were "railroaded."

Forget whether the indignation is righteous or not: it is justified. And I will say again that Manning and Snowden and even the appalling self-promoting Greenwald have behaved more honorably with respect the the Constitution* of the United States of America than have any of their persecutors up to and including the President.

cordially,

*Speaking of which, much has been made of Manning "violating his oath." Does anyone know offhand whether he swore to protect and defend Army Intelligence, or the Constitution? Seems to me it would make a difference.
New Thank you for the thoughtful response. I appreciate it.
     Greenwald's partner detained - (rcareaga) - (71)
         already there, just going to get worse -NT - (boxley)
         Hmm... - (Another Scott) - (54)
             It isn't surprising to anyone. - (mmoffitt) - (43)
                 Of course. Exactly right. <rolls-eyes> -NT - (Another Scott) - (42)
                     Boot lickers galore in that thread - (jake123) - (1)
                         From the inside looking out... - (folkert)
                     What are you roll-eyeing about, exactly? - (CRConrad) - (39)
                         Shades of grey are important. - (Another Scott) - (38)
                             "Potential"?!?Did they just "potentially" detain mr Miranda? - (CRConrad) - (37)
                                 Did they break the law in detaining him? - (Another Scott) - (32)
                                     Come on now, I think he's been pretty clear - (drook) - (3)
                                         Fine. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             But Scott... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                 Thank you for the thoughtful response. I appreciate it. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     Stazi had the law on their side, what they did was legal -NT - (boxley) - (26)
                                         And??? - (Another Scott) - (25)
                                             No one here has claimed that - (rcareaga) - (22)
                                                 Brief answers. - (Another Scott) - (21)
                                                     just following orders - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                                         Dunno. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                             Hokay - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                                 Bloody Cousin Joe, always stealing all my best lines! - (CRConrad)
                                                     You're scaring me.. - (Ashton) - (16)
                                                         Just my opinions... - (Another Scott) - (15)
                                                             Re: Just my opinions... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                                 they werren't lawyers were they? -NT - (boxley)
                                                             naw don't stop - (boxley) - (5)
                                                                 Good lord, boxley - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                                                     The misrepresentation was ... - (mmoffitt)
                                                                     I know that it was meant that their system would bury ours - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                         Agree; it was a collective effort, though.. - (Ashton)
                                                                 Driving While... Black, Indian, Homo? - (CRConrad)
                                                             If I offended you, I apologize. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                                                 No offense taken, and none given, I hope. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                                     Certainly none taken here, as well. - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                                         Nope, that's actually not the main effect. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                                             It could be a Right- Left- Orthogonal- brain dysfunction, - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                 Sorry, was that intended only for the BOx? - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                                     IF !=a bi-brain like 'us', but has a tri-brain? THEN: - (Ashton)
                                             think you skipped a paragraph - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 And the answer, of course, was provided in Nuremberg. - (CRConrad)
                                     Did I say what the Gestapo and Cheka did was illegal? - (CRConrad)
                                 IRLRPD - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                     ;^> - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         Naah; I think I introduced it here, to this gang... - (CRConrad)
                                     "Du bist Willkommen", as the Germans say. - (CRConrad)
             So, Scott... - (rcareaga) - (9)
                 I understand that appearance. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                     quod erat demonstrandum - (rcareaga) - (7)
                         Perhaps inartfully expressed. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                             My point being... - (rcareaga) - (5)
                                 Amen. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                 Reasonable points, but... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                     Didja see the Movie - 2 Guns? - (folkert) - (2)
                                         I'll put it on the list. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                             If you watch it soon... - (folkert)
         Blowback already? - (mmoffitt) - (6)
             I'm Shocked, Shocked!!!11 - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 bwahahahaha - (boxley) - (4)
                     I imagine that voter still thinks - (rcareaga) - (3)
                         I think... - (folkert)
                         2008 was a bad year for me. I lost my naivete that year. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                             Don't get disillusioned. - (Another Scott)
         Wonkette's take. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             yes wonkette's preferences are noted in the comments - (boxley) - (1)
                 Was also said in the first paragraph. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         all perfectly legal - (rcareaga) - (1)
             Looks to me like they did an epic job of trolling the UK gov -NT - (jake123)
         Pierce weighs in - (rcareaga) - (2)
             Heh. -NT - (Another Scott)
             having worked around security types in the past - (boxley)

I R UR GRAMMER NATZEE GAWD.
158 ms