IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New My point being...
that in the post 9/2001 climate of hysteria a number of laws were passed in the name of fighting/protecting against "terrorism." These laws gave the authorities near-unprecedented latitude in the realm of procedures, standards of evidence, protections for the accused, et cetera, but hey: ya got nothing to worry about if you ain't a terrorist, amirite? (Emirate?)

That's just fine, until, as they inevitably will, the authorities find it convenient to conflate "terrorism" with "any conduct that gets in our way." You think it's a stretch from "That helicopter video* released by Manning was used to fan the flames of anti-Americanism in the Middle east" to "Manning is a terrorist"? I don't.

*That helicopter video (indirect link): http://urschleim.blo...ghdad-street.html

Any day that finds Bradley Manning in a military prison while Dick Cheney is permitted outside the precincts of The Hague is a day without justice.

cordially,
New Amen.
New Reasonable points, but...
Yes, the laws are too broad. Our national freakout over the damage done by 19 guys with knives was uncalled-for and it's well past time for those things (like the Patriot Act) to be scaled back.

But I come back to the fact that the guys who have access to this secret stuff do operate in a system with oversight. Likely not enough, but there is oversight within the system.

Nobody at the NSA who expects to have a job next year is going to be intentionally snooping on us. That's the bottom line. Times have changed since Hoover's day - for the better.

http://www.nsa.gov/a...s/oversight.shtml

I recognize that things don't always go according to plan, and recognize that there are people (like Snowden) who will break the rules (for whatever reason). No human system is perfect. But I don't accept that there's a huge conspiracy to make all of the things said on that web page into just pretty mouth noises for rubes like me. Civil servants generally take their jobs and their oaths seriously - they wouldn't work there if they didn't.

I understand that lots of people don't accept and don't believe that, but that's where I am. YMMV.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Didja see the Movie - 2 Guns?
If not, you need to.

Its a good laugh. Bit of nudity and some language... but it is pretty good!
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New I'll put it on the list. Thanks.
New If you watch it soon...
You'l understand why I said it was a rec.

It included the DEA, the USN Intelligence and the CIA all working the same thing from conflicting angles.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
     Greenwald's partner detained - (rcareaga) - (71)
         already there, just going to get worse -NT - (boxley)
         Hmm... - (Another Scott) - (54)
             It isn't surprising to anyone. - (mmoffitt) - (43)
                 Of course. Exactly right. <rolls-eyes> -NT - (Another Scott) - (42)
                     Boot lickers galore in that thread - (jake123) - (1)
                         From the inside looking out... - (folkert)
                     What are you roll-eyeing about, exactly? - (CRConrad) - (39)
                         Shades of grey are important. - (Another Scott) - (38)
                             "Potential"?!?Did they just "potentially" detain mr Miranda? - (CRConrad) - (37)
                                 Did they break the law in detaining him? - (Another Scott) - (32)
                                     Come on now, I think he's been pretty clear - (drook) - (3)
                                         Fine. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             But Scott... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                 Thank you for the thoughtful response. I appreciate it. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     Stazi had the law on their side, what they did was legal -NT - (boxley) - (26)
                                         And??? - (Another Scott) - (25)
                                             No one here has claimed that - (rcareaga) - (22)
                                                 Brief answers. - (Another Scott) - (21)
                                                     just following orders - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                                         Dunno. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                             Hokay - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                                 Bloody Cousin Joe, always stealing all my best lines! - (CRConrad)
                                                     You're scaring me.. - (Ashton) - (16)
                                                         Just my opinions... - (Another Scott) - (15)
                                                             Re: Just my opinions... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                                 they werren't lawyers were they? -NT - (boxley)
                                                             naw don't stop - (boxley) - (5)
                                                                 Good lord, boxley - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                                                     The misrepresentation was ... - (mmoffitt)
                                                                     I know that it was meant that their system would bury ours - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                         Agree; it was a collective effort, though.. - (Ashton)
                                                                 Driving While... Black, Indian, Homo? - (CRConrad)
                                                             If I offended you, I apologize. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                                                 No offense taken, and none given, I hope. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                                     Certainly none taken here, as well. - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                                         Nope, that's actually not the main effect. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                                             It could be a Right- Left- Orthogonal- brain dysfunction, - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                 Sorry, was that intended only for the BOx? - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                                     IF !=a bi-brain like 'us', but has a tri-brain? THEN: - (Ashton)
                                             think you skipped a paragraph - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 And the answer, of course, was provided in Nuremberg. - (CRConrad)
                                     Did I say what the Gestapo and Cheka did was illegal? - (CRConrad)
                                 IRLRPD - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                     ;^> - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         Naah; I think I introduced it here, to this gang... - (CRConrad)
                                     "Du bist Willkommen", as the Germans say. - (CRConrad)
             So, Scott... - (rcareaga) - (9)
                 I understand that appearance. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                     quod erat demonstrandum - (rcareaga) - (7)
                         Perhaps inartfully expressed. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                             My point being... - (rcareaga) - (5)
                                 Amen. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                 Reasonable points, but... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                     Didja see the Movie - 2 Guns? - (folkert) - (2)
                                         I'll put it on the list. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                             If you watch it soon... - (folkert)
         Blowback already? - (mmoffitt) - (6)
             I'm Shocked, Shocked!!!11 - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 bwahahahaha - (boxley) - (4)
                     I imagine that voter still thinks - (rcareaga) - (3)
                         I think... - (folkert)
                         2008 was a bad year for me. I lost my naivete that year. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                             Don't get disillusioned. - (Another Scott)
         Wonkette's take. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             yes wonkette's preferences are noted in the comments - (boxley) - (1)
                 Was also said in the first paragraph. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         all perfectly legal - (rcareaga) - (1)
             Looks to me like they did an epic job of trolling the UK gov -NT - (jake123)
         Pierce weighs in - (rcareaga) - (2)
             Heh. -NT - (Another Scott)
             having worked around security types in the past - (boxley)

I am LRPD of Borg. Refreshing is useless. You will be addicted.
92 ms