IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A few thoughts
The poll specifically states: 47 percent of Americans saying they have a gun in their home or elsewhere on their property.

Yet then you move onto # of adults? Naughty. The correct baseline is the 115M households.

47% of 115M is ~ 54 M (which matches up with your other numbers).

Now...does it make sense that there are 200M+ guns?

Well, to begin with...200M / 54M means only 4 guns per family. You might think that's high, but that could mean a rifle, shotgun and say a pair of pistols.

And that's just the average. One friend I had who liked to hand-load his pistols owned 12, iirc.

At 6M new guns being manufactured in the US per year, that's less than half the number of new cars sold in the US every year. There are roughly 250M cars registered in the US. Cars last roughly 10 years. Do gun owners buy new guns every 5 years on average? I don't think so. I think the average person who buys a gun buys one and are done with it. One has to make a lot of inferences to say much more.

Actually, I'd give you a little more to chew on. Most guns last a lot longer than cars. There are a lot of Colt 45, etc. out there. There are guns that are older than 100 years. (Not many cars can make that claim)

(Hell, the M1911 was named for the year it came out....and it's 2013 now)

So, can I believe 200M to 300M guns? Yep.
Do I think the majority of Americans own guns? Nope. (I'd agree, it's probably closer to 20%)

And I do think most gun owners own more than one gun.

As for the suicide...I'll fully admit that owning a gun (or any weapon) increases the chance of being harmed by it (accidential shootings and the like).

And while I suspect that the facts are borne out regarding suicides...I'm not sure it's painting a complete picture either. The cases of suicide with guns that I can think of (3 off the top of my head), one...maybe two...occurred because the gun was available.

The third - she did use a gun. But she first tried to slit her wrists (incorrectly) and nearly chopped off her hand in the process.

I don't think restricting the ownership of guns would've stopped her in that case.

New Damned right.
I don't think restricting the ownership of guns would've stopped her in that case.

That's a very hard thing to learn to accept. That you can't stop anyone who is committed to ending their life. When I lost my brother to suicide the day after I'd seen him, it took a very long time for me to accept that there really wasn't anything I could have done to prevent it.
New For those that don't know... (graphic details)
I still have the deep scars to prove it.

In summer of 2006, I was determined, slashed the right way and then dug with the Stanley #99 box cutter. I passed out in the bath tub, to keep it clean for my wife. I woke up, I think, about an hour and a half later. I failed. Evidently, my blood clots really well. I changed my mind. Took a cold shower, washed all the blood down the drain. Took off my wet clothes. Wrapped towels around my wrists and put on sweats and went to sleep for 2 days. Woke up in a facility, looked at my stitches, went back to sleep for 5 more days. (not the end of the story but is for here)

There was nothing that would have stopped me before I passed out... I was bleeding like a stuck pig, I was happy. If I'd have thought about using the gun in the house (which still is BTW), it probably would have been successful. It never even entered my mind since its (still) properly stored in the safe with a trigger lock and out of sight.

Please re-read that last sentence.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New :-( I'm glad you're still here. Hang in there.
New Wasn't meant to be...
A story for you to feel sorry about for me. It was more for making my point about Extreme Gun Ownership and the responsibility of BEING a GUN OWNER.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
     TotN: Guns in the US - What we know, what we don't. - (Another Scott) - (51)
         here is another fact - (boxley) - (42)
             I guess I wasn't clear. - (Another Scott) - (41)
                 your stats dont match reality - (boxley) - (40)
                     You're looking at particulars. - (Another Scott) - (39)
                         You're looking at your stats of choice - (crazy) - (38)
                             This post was just about 3 things. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                 Sigh - (crazy) - (1)
                                     Sidenote: - (S1mon_Jester)
                                 looking at the mad rush in all 50 states - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Re: looking at the mad rush in all 50 states - (S1mon_Jester)
                             That's not a primary argument - (drook) - (32)
                                 Ehh, side show - (crazy)
                                 But if you REALLY want this argument - (crazy) - (30)
                                     Can't prove a negative. HTH. -NT - (Another Scott) - (29)
                                         If this guy didn't have that gun - (crazy)
                                         The day police response to home invasion is instantaneous - (crazy) - (27)
                                             The status quo is going to change. - (Another Scott) - (26)
                                                 your changes will have nothing to do with preventing - (boxley) - (25)
                                                     If everyone... - (folkert) - (24)
                                                         greg, I don't discuss my security arrangements in public -NT - (boxley) - (23)
                                                             As if you... - (folkert) - (22)
                                                                 the emotion is all coming from your side "the cheedrun" -NT - (boxley) - (21)
                                                                     Re: the emotion is all coming from your side "the cheedrun" - (Another Scott) - (15)
                                                                         backatcha - (boxley) - (14)
                                                                             And your point is? - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                                                                 Re: And your point is? - (boxley) - (12)
                                                                                     Move to strike as unresponsive. -NT - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                                                                         more words please, what was the point of your post - (boxley) - (10)
                                                                                             Re: more words please, what was the point of your post - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                                                                 bust in all you want - (boxley) - (8)
                                                                                                     Your predictions aren't very good. Hyperinflation? ;-) - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                                                                         Re: Your predictions aren't very good. Hyperinflation? ;-) - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                                             Lots of people bought Beanie Babies as "investments"... -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                                 and some made money on it - (boxley)
                                                                                                     Re: bust in all you want - (lincoln) - (3)
                                                                                                         naw, you catch the swat team at the donut shop -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                                             they can get their donuts to-go -NT - (lincoln) - (1)
                                                                                                                 drive thru ied done deal - (boxley)
                                                                     No, not the CHEELDRUN. - (folkert) - (4)
                                                                         Greg I dont give a rats ass about soothing you - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                             And again... - (folkert) - (2)
                                                                                 you should get a job at microsoft - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                     Cheers. - (folkert)
         A few thoughts - (S1mon_Jester) - (4)
             Damned right. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                 For those that don't know... (graphic details) - (folkert) - (2)
                     :-( I'm glad you're still here. Hang in there. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Wasn't meant to be... - (folkert)
         Regarding suicide rate - (Silverlock)
         Re: TotN: Guns in the US - What we know, what we don't. - (pwhysall) - (1)
             "We" don't care - (crazy)

Sheep. Hmm.
77 ms