Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Let's get to the bottom of this.
Changing patch cables on ENIAC :)
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New I can't believe you've done that.
But I've edited machine code directly in memory. In hex. Using Debug. :-)

Wade.

New That's because I haven't.
But I did do a (tiny) bit of mucking about in Debug. It for some work thing, can't actually remember what.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New When I first learned
to program, I used punched paper tape for backup, and a teletype for entry...

We also used punched cards.

My boss at the time would make programmers with attitude problems use the patch cables to reprogram the punched-card sorter as an attitude adjustment...

Even the threat worked. *grin* At least, I was never selected for that singular 'honor'.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Re: That's because I haven't.
I cracked Ultima 4 and Ultima 5's copy protection with debug.
Famous last RPG quotes: "I'll just shoot this fireball down the dungeon passageway..."
New I'll see you, and raise you 010
But I've edited machine code directly in memory. In hex. Using Debug. ;-)

I've edited machine code directly in memory. In octal. Using the front panel switches. :-\ufffd
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New Here you go...
[link|http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19990508|This fits here ]
:)
New Mel has you all beat
[link|http://info.astrian.net/jargon/Hacker_Folklore/The_Story_of_Mel.html|http://info.astrian..._of_Mel.html]
New Hey!...... Me too________but
Alas.. I lacked the masochistic stick-toited-ness to bravely go forward into ---> all that led to the Wunnaful World of the Windoze API.

{sob} Just thinking of what I have missed! by this cowardly otiose decision.. leaves me in a mood of :(

Giggle.. Giggle.. Giggle.. Giggle.. Giggle.. Giggle.. Giggle.. Giggle.. G R I N
New Interesting game.
Besides, it will probably show a few people's ages...

I've also used the old DOS Debug to genuinely debug a program. Well, a small assembly routine linked inside a QuickBASIC program.

Wade.

New Been there, got the scars.
>But I've edited machine code directly in memory. In hex. Using Debug. :-)

I've done that too. But it wasn't Debug, it was the VM equivilent PER. Edited real memory on a real production machine in mid-day. Crashed it hard too. That gave a couple of thousand people a little extra time for lunch.

I forget the exact problem we had, but we were unable to log onto MAINT, the main administrator account (think root). To get around this we overwrote CP's password checking code to bypass the password check. This would allow the logon to happen, we'd put the code back the way it was and all would be well. Worked fine until it was time to put the code back. I had three other guys verify my typing before I pressed enter. Seems there was a digit wrong. sigh.

Explaining what happened to the security guys was "interesting" too...
Have fun,
Carl Forde
     My boy the geek - (broomberg) - (34)
         Cool! - (Meerkat) - (13)
             Yes but... - (static) - (4)
                 So, there's a market for a 'vi' keyboard :) - (Meerkat) - (3)
                     That would be so cool! - (kmself) - (2)
                         I can only only insert at beginning and append at end... - (Meerkat)
                         You're not thinking clearly. - (static)
             I went the C= route - (SpiceWare) - (6)
                 But you only had 22 columns to play with :( - (Meerkat) - (5)
                     Not many options at that time - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                         May not have been a lie - (broomberg) - (1)
                             while it's possible to harm hardware with software - (SpiceWare)
                     Ah, BASIC 7.0 - (SpiceWare)
                     You'd love MESS - (orion)
             Re: Cool! - (jb4)
         Oh! Oh! Oh! - (wharris2)
         Obligatory... - (Arkadiy) - (18)
             We had that discussion - (broomberg) - (17)
                 Make him learn both - (admin) - (16)
                     You crazy - (broomberg) - (15)
                         *shrug* - (admin) - (14)
                             You mean that overloaded piece o' - (broomberg) - (13)
                                 You're all overlooking the REAL god of editors. - (inthane-chan) - (12)
                                     You. Soap. Mouth. Now. - (static) - (11)
                                         Let's get to the bottom of this. - (Meerkat) - (10)
                                             I can't believe you've done that. - (static) - (9)
                                                 That's because I haven't. - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                                     When I first learned - (imric)
                                                     Re: That's because I haven't. - (wharris2)
                                                 I'll see you, and raise you 010 - (jb4) - (4)
                                                     Here you go... - (hnick) - (1)
                                                         Mel has you all beat - (broomberg)
                                                     Hey!...... Me too________but - (Ashton)
                                                     Interesting game. - (static)
                                                 Been there, got the scars. - (cforde)

What you're selling, I do not need.
76 ms