IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New But you only had 22 columns to play with :(
The TI had a whole throbbing 28, normally.

But yeah, when I upgraded to a C128, full-screen editing was my friend (and Basic 7.0 rocked, too...)
Snippet of IT conversation I just overhead "They employed me right away coz I had a lot of Wang..."
New Not many options at that time
I was originally going to get the TRS-80 Color Computer(32 columns, all caps). I spent the summer of 81 working at grandma's to save up money for the computer. My parents were going to pay for the other half and I'd get it for Christmas. One day grandma wanted to see this "new fangled thing" that I wanted, so we went to a Radio Shack. The CoCo display was turned off so I asked the guy working there if he would turn it on - his response "I can't, there's a password for it and I don't know it. If it's not typed in correctly it will ruin the computer". Needless to say, the bold faced lie really ticked me off, and to this date I purchase a lot fewer things from Rat Shack than I would have.

I then found out about the newly released Vic 20 and decided to get that instead. Turned out to be a much better system for me as I'd taught myself programming on a Commodore PET my freshman year in highschool(80-81). I think the funky editing on the CoCo would have annoyed me to no end.

I got my first modem around the time I started to learn machine language. I didn't even have an assembler, I used a short BASIC program with data statements and a READ/POKE loop(took me a bit to figure out backward branching). One of my early ML programs was a 40 column terminal, using 4 pixel wide characters(each character was 3 pixels wide with 1 pixel for spacing between letters). It worked surprisingly well(probably because the pixels were so large, somebody did something similiar for the C=64 later but it didn't work quite as well). The only annoying thing was my screen scrolling routine - it went by column(left to right) and made the display look like it was doing the hula while it scrolled :-)

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New May not have been a lie
I had a friend who was a C64 guru. He knew the exact sequence
of peeks and pokes that could cause damage to the peripherals,
and when a store pissed him off, he'd code it on their demo boxes.

They triggered a sequence once, after it flashed a warning on touch.

Since they were too stupid to realize turning it off would wipe
it clean, they had several boxes on for a huge amount of time,
yet were scared to touch them.
New while it's possible to harm hardware with software
turning on CoCo does not involve a password.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New Ah, BASIC 7.0
yeah, that was cool. I recoded the 128's PLAY routine for my BBS/Term programs on the C64, had it set up to send music in real time at 300 baud. I sold a quite a few copies of my BBS program - paid for my books a few semesters.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

New You'd love MESS
[link|http://www.mess.org|[link|http://www.mess.org|http://www.mess.org]] it does TI/994A, C-VIC-20, C64, C128 and other emulation. I think they just came out with an update?

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
     My boy the geek - (broomberg) - (34)
         Cool! - (Meerkat) - (13)
             Yes but... - (static) - (4)
                 So, there's a market for a 'vi' keyboard :) - (Meerkat) - (3)
                     That would be so cool! - (kmself) - (2)
                         I can only only insert at beginning and append at end... - (Meerkat)
                         You're not thinking clearly. - (static)
             I went the C= route - (SpiceWare) - (6)
                 But you only had 22 columns to play with :( - (Meerkat) - (5)
                     Not many options at that time - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                         May not have been a lie - (broomberg) - (1)
                             while it's possible to harm hardware with software - (SpiceWare)
                     Ah, BASIC 7.0 - (SpiceWare)
                     You'd love MESS - (orion)
             Re: Cool! - (jb4)
         Oh! Oh! Oh! - (wharris2)
         Obligatory... - (Arkadiy) - (18)
             We had that discussion - (broomberg) - (17)
                 Make him learn both - (admin) - (16)
                     You crazy - (broomberg) - (15)
                         *shrug* - (admin) - (14)
                             You mean that overloaded piece o' - (broomberg) - (13)
                                 You're all overlooking the REAL god of editors. - (inthane-chan) - (12)
                                     You. Soap. Mouth. Now. - (static) - (11)
                                         Let's get to the bottom of this. - (Meerkat) - (10)
                                             I can't believe you've done that. - (static) - (9)
                                                 That's because I haven't. - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                                     When I first learned - (imric)
                                                     Re: That's because I haven't. - (wharris2)
                                                 I'll see you, and raise you 010 - (jb4) - (4)
                                                     Here you go... - (hnick) - (1)
                                                         Mel has you all beat - (broomberg)
                                                     Hey!...... Me too________but - (Ashton)
                                                     Interesting game. - (static)
                                                 Been there, got the scars. - (cforde)

class Lrpdism(GenericSaying):
118 ms