IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Rush the Entertainer.
I guess Steele didn't get the memo...

http://tpmdc.talking...rship.php?ref=fp1

In an interview with the Politico, Steele said: "My intent was not to go after Rush - I have enormous respect for Rush Limbaugh. I was maybe a little bit inarticulate...There was no attempt on my part to diminish his voice or his leadership."

This comes after Limbaugh tore into Steele for declaring on CNN that Rush isn't a leader of the Republican Party, but is an "entertainer" whose rhetoric is "incendiary" and "ugly."

Sullivan sees this for what it is: http://andrewsulliva...eele-reports.html

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Rush the Entertainer.
Republicans know that Rush can inflame his listeners against them, and they can lose primaries that way. Most of his listeners are Republicans. Rush vs. a Democrat has very little effect - then it's just entertainment. It's different with the Republicans.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Maybe.
I'm sure that's part of the conventional wisdom about Rush's hold on his audience, but I wonder if that really holds any more (if it ever did in practice).

Pundits and political personalities only have overt power as long as their power isn't challenged. Rush is smart enough not to make categorical statements, at least not for very long. Recall that he was strongly opposed to McCain. But even after blasting him for weeks on his show after the New Hampshire primary, and causing a shift in opinions about McCain among his listeners, his power to shift the nomination to someone else was overstated. http://www.annenberg...hreleasefinal.pdf (8 page .pdf). Of course, Rush fell into line and supported McCain once it became clear that he had the nomination.

The Limbaugh Effect was found to be overstated in 1998 as well - http://www.ingentaco...00000003/art00007

I think the Republican establishment is unsure of what to do right now. They don't want internecine warfare at the moment, so they'll let Rush be BMOC for a while. Once they start heavy planning for the 2010 elections, they'll get into fundraising mode and won't worry about him so much. Major changes to the party will have to wait until someone wins the nomination in 2012. Whether Rush is further marginalized by then is anyone's guess, but I'm sure he won't be running the national party the way he is now....

But we'll see.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Jindal's speech was horrible. - (Another Scott) - (25)
         I'Twas that; dinosaur with effete intro-lilt, then seppuku - (Ashton)
         I didnt watch either speech - (boxley) - (23)
             That sounded fake to me. - (Another Scott) - (22)
                 Jaysus are you that picky in church? - (boxley) - (19)
                     I know what he was trying to do. - (Another Scott) - (17)
                         of course he was spounting the party line, its his party - (boxley) - (16)
                             Republican Context? - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                 wtf? trivializing pregnancy? - (boxley) - (10)
                                     Did he say anything about insurance otherwise? - (Another Scott)
                                     Some more comments... - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                         ?? maybe I missed something - (boxley) - (1)
                                             I'm having trouble parsing that. - (Another Scott)
                                         maybe one more try then I am done (on this thread) - (boxley)
                                         not at all jaded, are you? - (beepster) - (1)
                                             Sometimes yes, sometimes no. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     Rush the Entertainer. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         Re: Rush the Entertainer. - (malraux) - (1)
                                             Maybe. - (Another Scott)
                                 Republican Context? - I love it - (crazy) - (1)
                                     of course, its their party innit? didnt drl predict this :-) -NT - (boxley)
                             Vox pop: the conscience of a 'conservative' - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 exactly, from yer link - (boxley)
                     Sadly, the problem is that the point - (jake123)
                 For completeness, one last thing on the Lee story. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     sigh. fer grins I will colloude with J - (boxley)

Aw, good for him.
112 ms