IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I know what he was trying to do.
He was trying to convince people that the federal government is bad using examples from the Bush administration, while not mentioning that the pablum he's spouting is exactly the same as Bush's, and his governing principles are exactly the same as what Bush was saying in 2000.

That doesn't mean that I'm buying any of it. YMMV. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New of course he was spounting the party line, its his party
but you described his speech as horrible. Within a republican context that is innacurate.
Now perhaps america has fallen into an emotional response instead of a logical basis for politics. Both sides demonize the other on a personal level. That is bad for the country.
New Republican Context?
I guess it depends on what you call a Republican these days. But even if one accepts that it was a political statement, that doesn't change the fact that the speech was horrible.

Jindal said:

"I was what folks in the insurance industry now call a pre-existing condition." That trivializes what people mean by a pre-existing condition, and he knows it.

"I still believe that to this day: Americans can do anything. When we pull together, there's no challenge we can't overcome." That is pablum, fatuous and dangerous especially given history under Bush. American's can't do anything. http://andrewsulliva...dals-fatuous.html

"Republicans are ready to work with the new president to provide these solutions." Maybe 3 of them are. The rest? Not so much.

"All of us want our economy to recover and our nation to prosper." Rush, defacto head of the Republican party, doesn't.

"That's why Republicans put forward plans to create jobs by lowering income tax rates for working families, cutting taxes for small businesses, strengthening incentives for businesses to invest in new equipment and to hire new workers, and stabilizing home values by creating a new tax credit for homebuyers. These plans would cost less and create more jobs." More pablum. The banks aren't failing because taxes are too high. Sales haven't dried up because taxes are too high. If he believes that, he's got no understanding of the current situation.

And on and on.

I thought Gov. Tim Kaine's response to Bush's SOTU in 2006 was weak, but Jindal's wasn't even on the scale. http://www.washingto...006013101246.html

HTH!

Cheers,
Scott.
New wtf? trivializing pregnancy?
If you start a healthplan today and are 4 months pregnant, guess what you aint covered. Pregnancy short of major diseases and operations is freaking expensive.
So americans cant do anything that is why Obama will have to schedule our every move and we would all die tomorrow if he wasnt in charge :-)
Of course claim bipartisanship, why not?
rush, hannity,olberson, cuthbert, penn, are entertainers, you do realize that dont you?
they dont particularly beleive anything but will say anything if it gets them ratings which means gets them paid
Repos think you let people spend money, demo's think only the governernment is qualified to spend money. Americans really dont give a rats ass, they want a job, housing and nfl football.
thanx,
bill
New Did he say anything about insurance otherwise?
He said:

Like the president's father, my own parents came to this country from a distant land. When they arrived in Baton Rouge, my mother was already four-and-a-half-months pregnant. I was what folks in the insurance industry now call a pre-existing condition.

JINDAL: To find work, my dad picked up the yellow pages and started calling local businesses. Even after landing a job, he still couldn't afford to pay for my delivery, so he worked out an installment plan with the doctor. Fortunately for me, he never missed a payment.

Yes, he trivialized what people mean by "pre-existing condition". Did he say anything about insurance otherwise? Are we supposed to believe that the physician would have repossessed him if his father didn't pay? How exactly was it "fortunate for [him]"?

It was intended as a laugh line, and also to trivialize discussion of the seriousness of pre-existing conditions when it comes to trying to get health insurance coverage. He was saying, "See, I turned out Ok without my mom having insurance. You can too." He's laying down a (not so subtle) marker for the coming health care debate in Congress.

His intent was to get people to think: "Oh, pre-existing condition. That's like what Bobby's mom had. Yuk, yuk." Or something.

If you start a healthplan today and are 4 months pregnant, guess what you aint covered. Pregnancy short of major diseases and operations is freaking expensive.

That's right. But was that his point? No, it wasn't. Given the text, I'm not sure what his point was except that he's somehow exactly like Obama, but not. But given Republican tactics over the last 20 years or so, it's easy to see why the line is there.

FWIW. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Some more comments...
So americans cant do anything that is why Obama will have to schedule our every move and we would all die tomorrow if he wasnt in charge :-)

"Anything" as in "create a rock so big that he can't move it?" As in: impose a functioning, fair, modern democracy on a country in 6 months after said country was ruled by a brutal dictator who murdered political opponents for decades and repressed the majority. As in cut essential spending on infrastructure and expect that there will be no consequences. The emphasis is on any.

rush, hannity,olberson, cuthbert, penn, are entertainers, you do realize that dont you?

Does Olbermann have Congressmen begging to be on his show to apologize?

I know what most of these political commentators/hosts/showmen are. I listened to Neal Bortz on the radio in Georgia in the early 1970s. I know their MO all too well. (Colbert does satire.) Rush is in another league because the Republican party is convinced that he's so powerful that he can't be crossed. http://www.bostonher...articleid=1147919

Repos think you let people spend money, demo's think only the governernment is qualified to spend money.

I know you're being snarky, but that's way off base. National Republicans are all about cutting taxes on investment income and wealth. Capital gains tax cuts. Ending the Inheritance Tax. And taking money away from public institutions, claiming to replace it with things like school vouchers. And rewarding savings (which can only be done by people who have enough money to save) for things like Health Savings Accounts that are meant to be an alternative to government-supported programs. Sure, they talk about cutting income tax rates for the poor and middle class, but their emphasis is always on reducing taxes on the wealthy and businesses.

Republicans aren't about "letting people spend money", not by a long shot. They're about rewarding those who already have.

National Democrats come in many flavors, but generally believe that the US government has many functions that it can and must do and that it has been unduly strangled since 1981.

Krugman put it very well today - http://krugman.blogs...indal-meditation/ :

But both sides, I thought, agreed that the government should provide public goods — goods that are nonrival (they benefit everyone) and nonexcludable (there’s no way to restrict the benefits to people who pay.) The classic examples are things like lighthouses and national defense, but there are many others. For example, knowing when a volcano is likely to erupt can save many lives; but there’s no private incentive to spend money on monitoring, since even people who didn’t contribute to maintaining the monitoring system can still benefit from the warning. So that’s the sort of activity that should be undertaken by government.

So what did Bobby Jindal choose to ridicule in this response to Obama last night? Volcano monitoring, of course.

And leaving aside the chutzpah of casting the failure of his own party’s governance as proof that government can’t work, does he really think that the response to natural disasters like Katrina is best undertaken by uncoordinated private action? Hey, why bother having an army? Let’s just rely on self-defense by armed citizens.

Americans really dont give a rats ass, they want a job, housing and nfl football.

Dunno. I think most Americans want the country to live up to the greatness of its history and are convinced that everyone will be better off if it does. They want to have some money left over after paying their bills. They want to have confidence that they won't have to work until they drop dead. Most people with kids want life to be better for them than it was in the past. Even if they do relax by sitting around drinking beer and get stupid watching football, that's not the extent of their aspirations.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New ?? maybe I missed something
bush was a complete fuckwit but I think
As in: impose a functioning, fair, modern democracy on a country in 6 months after said country was ruled by a brutal dictator who murdered political opponents for decades and repressed the majority. As in cut essential spending on infrastructure and expect that there will be no consequences
is a bit harsh, you derided Jindal for saying that the american people can do anything, its what we are noted for, at least in the past,

if olberman had the ratings anywhere close to rush they would kiss his ass too since he is as important ratingwise as christian annapour they can mock him at will

If I give money to teachers unions or private schools what is the difference. Are public schools a required institution as a standing army or state department

Public schools have morphed into a babysitting creche to keep kids out of the workforce until age 18. You dont beleive me have a governor like ours shut the schools because of the gas prices and every republican in georgia was bitching about who was going to pick up the babysitting tab

New I'm having trouble parsing that.
That section you quoted was referring to Iraq and the general lack of federal investment in infrastructure (like bridges and levees).

you derided Jindal for saying that the american people can do anything, its what we are noted for, at least in the past,

When did we think that doing something like our aims in Iraq would ever be done in 6 months? We're still in Germany and Korea and Japan. Defeating a country and changing their government in a lasting way is never easy. It can easily take decades. But Jindal's singing from Bush's hymnal.

As that earlier comment from Sullivan's blog indicated, there was a time when "America can rise to any challenge" was understood to be allegorical. But those who insist that using such language now as an apparent substitute for actual policies that will have a positive effect on our economy are shoveling pablum. It's dangerous to continue to push the happy thoughts that if only we wish hard enough, and keep government off our backs, then things will turn out just fine.

We can accomplish a lot if we are willing to work for it and pay the price for it. But not "anything". History teaches that, if we're willing to pay attention. Jindal and Cantor and Palin and others who believe as they do think that there's a free lunch.

How were my comments harsh?

if olberman had the ratings anywhere close to rush they would kiss his ass too since he is as important ratingwise as christian annapour they can mock him at will

And if everyone had magic ponies, then we wouldn't have to import 10M barrels of oil a day. :-) But we don't, and they don't. (Rush Hudson Limbaugh III's Wikipedia page is interesting. I can't see the Democrats making Keith an honorary member of Congress...)

If I give money to teachers unions or private schools what is the difference. Are public schools a required institution as a standing army or state department

Without an educated citizenry a functioning democratic republic is doomed. http://etext.virgini...ions/jeff1370.htm

Public education is more important than a standing army.

The problem with the framing of education as a competition between public and private is that there's rarely enough money to support both. And as Krugman indicated, things that benefit society as public goods should be provided by some level of government. People who spend thousands to send their kids to private school feel the natural inclination to argue for reduced property taxes that support the public schools. That damages the public good. Public schools do not have strong advocates now, at the time when (one can easily argue) they're most needed. Schools aren't like movie stars - we can't just throw them out and pick a new one when they offend our sensibilities. They're an essential institution, one that can't be replaced by for-profit charter schools or parochial schools or whatever the latest "reform" that is pushed by those who advocate "smaller government". The world is getting more complex, there is increasing competition for ideas and resources, and we need to be much smarter than we've been if we're going to make a meaningful impact on these problems.

Everyone in our society needs a basic level of education. Strangling the public schools in an attempt to reduce the power of teachers' unions is misguided and dangerous, IMO. Of course, they should improve over time, but too often other agendas drive the "reform".

Public schools have morphed into a babysitting creche to keep kids out of the workforce until age 18. You dont beleive me have a governor like ours shut the schools because of the gas prices and every republican in georgia was bitching about who was going to pick up the babysitting tab

Schools, even poor ones, do much more than baby sit. I'm not at all surprised that parents would be upset if the schools were closed - too many people have too many constraints about taking personal time to pick up their kids at non-standard times, and finding sitters is always a problem. Do we really want even more truant teenagers wandering around with nothing to do except get into trouble?

FWIW.

[edit: typo, misplaced "never".]

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Feb. 25, 2009, 10:40:58 PM EST
New maybe one more try then I am done (on this thread)
the republicans and democrats are two mafia families striving for control of the street money. Both sides have associate mobsters from teachers unions to wall street mavens. Both sides claim the moral high grounds for their beliefs. Both sides provide ample evidence that they dont give a flying fuck about the american people (in most cases) you post about repos wanting to cut taxes for people that already have made it. Well if they are already paying the largest share of taxes in this country that is a reasonable position to take.
What you dont want is a revolution that only those that pay taxes are allowed to vote.
You may think that it cant happen, enough broke and paid for brownshirts can make it happen so accommodations have to be made.
From the oh so well meaning democrats, the prez has a hard time finding people who bothered to pat taxes for senate confirmed positions. That kinda shows what they really feel. Only the clintons dont have that problem as everything they earn goes to charity, theirs. They got a blank stare and huh? when asked what the charity has given away. They started giving away money this year.

Me, both groups are steely eyed purse snatchers with government badges, so when I do encounter a true believer of any side that demonizes the other side I tend to get cranky. I know you dont do it on purpose.
thanx,
bill
New not at all jaded, are you?
funny stuff you spout.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
New Rush the Entertainer.
I guess Steele didn't get the memo...

http://tpmdc.talking...rship.php?ref=fp1

In an interview with the Politico, Steele said: "My intent was not to go after Rush - I have enormous respect for Rush Limbaugh. I was maybe a little bit inarticulate...There was no attempt on my part to diminish his voice or his leadership."

This comes after Limbaugh tore into Steele for declaring on CNN that Rush isn't a leader of the Republican Party, but is an "entertainer" whose rhetoric is "incendiary" and "ugly."

Sullivan sees this for what it is: http://andrewsulliva...eele-reports.html

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Rush the Entertainer.
Republicans know that Rush can inflame his listeners against them, and they can lose primaries that way. Most of his listeners are Republicans. Rush vs. a Democrat has very little effect - then it's just entertainment. It's different with the Republicans.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Maybe.
I'm sure that's part of the conventional wisdom about Rush's hold on his audience, but I wonder if that really holds any more (if it ever did in practice).

Pundits and political personalities only have overt power as long as their power isn't challenged. Rush is smart enough not to make categorical statements, at least not for very long. Recall that he was strongly opposed to McCain. But even after blasting him for weeks on his show after the New Hampshire primary, and causing a shift in opinions about McCain among his listeners, his power to shift the nomination to someone else was overstated. http://www.annenberg...hreleasefinal.pdf (8 page .pdf). Of course, Rush fell into line and supported McCain once it became clear that he had the nomination.

The Limbaugh Effect was found to be overstated in 1998 as well - http://www.ingentaco...00000003/art00007

I think the Republican establishment is unsure of what to do right now. They don't want internecine warfare at the moment, so they'll let Rush be BMOC for a while. Once they start heavy planning for the 2010 elections, they'll get into fundraising mode and won't worry about him so much. Major changes to the party will have to wait until someone wins the nomination in 2012. Whether Rush is further marginalized by then is anyone's guess, but I'm sure he won't be running the national party the way he is now....

But we'll see.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Republican Context? - I love it
They expect idiots, they get idiots, they are happy.
New of course, its their party innit? didnt drl predict this :-)
New Vox pop: the conscience of a 'conservative'

er, cha cha cha

http://www.huffingto...#comment_21316543
New exactly, from yer link
Part of the problem was the crux of Jindal's address, which consisted almost entirely of red meat for conservatives
he isnt trying to change the congregation's mind still in love with the new pastor. The message will change after Obama's approval numbers stabilize into a normal range, then it will be sofly sofly catchee monkey
     Jindal's speech was horrible. - (Another Scott) - (25)
         I'Twas that; dinosaur with effete intro-lilt, then seppuku - (Ashton)
         I didnt watch either speech - (boxley) - (23)
             That sounded fake to me. - (Another Scott) - (22)
                 Jaysus are you that picky in church? - (boxley) - (19)
                     I know what he was trying to do. - (Another Scott) - (17)
                         of course he was spounting the party line, its his party - (boxley) - (16)
                             Republican Context? - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                 wtf? trivializing pregnancy? - (boxley) - (10)
                                     Did he say anything about insurance otherwise? - (Another Scott)
                                     Some more comments... - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                         ?? maybe I missed something - (boxley) - (1)
                                             I'm having trouble parsing that. - (Another Scott)
                                         maybe one more try then I am done (on this thread) - (boxley)
                                         not at all jaded, are you? - (beepster) - (1)
                                             Sometimes yes, sometimes no. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     Rush the Entertainer. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         Re: Rush the Entertainer. - (malraux) - (1)
                                             Maybe. - (Another Scott)
                                 Republican Context? - I love it - (crazy) - (1)
                                     of course, its their party innit? didnt drl predict this :-) -NT - (boxley)
                             Vox pop: the conscience of a 'conservative' - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 exactly, from yer link - (boxley)
                     Sadly, the problem is that the point - (jake123)
                 For completeness, one last thing on the Lee story. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     sigh. fer grins I will colloude with J - (boxley)

Only you would go for the plague.
160 ms