IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Should have looked around a little more...
Thanks for your thoughts on diagnosing it. I was almost certain that the remaining problem had to do with the board, not the motors, etc. I remember taking apart a 10 MB HD to see the damage inside, and figured if it came to that with this box then I'd have no hope.

I did some more searching using "Seagate 7200.8" and found forum.hddguru.com . It has lots of good information about fixing drives.

The contraption that got roasted on the original circuit board of drive is a "TVS" - Trans Voltage Suppressor. It's a diode that's designed to protect the rest of the electronics if bad things happen to the input voltage. It's apparently quite common for them to fail via a dead short (as seemed to happen in my case based on the PS issues I was having).

http://forum.hddguru...t9998.html#p70888

So I had an excuse to drag out my soldering iron. And guess what? Removing the roasted TVS fixes the drive! Woot! :-D

So, I'm out $50 for that replacement circuit board (which I'm under the impression should have worked), but I've apparently got all my old data back. But, while replacement TVS parts apparently are available, I think I'll play it safe and relegate this drive to the parts bin after I get all the data off it.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who has turned it off until he can get another drive ready to back it up. And who is much more careful about hooking up power connectors on open PCs now...)
New Woot!
The data is the important thing.

The "replacement board" is probably off a bad drive whose electronics failed.

Were there any jumpers to set? And if so, did you match them to original?
Alex
New :-) No jumpers. It's the standard SATA setup.
New Nice. Save.
Indeed, it appears that this TVS did exactly what it was supposed to do -- die First before all the other stuff Would! (Forgot you had er, REVERSED POLARITY as in, bad-Scott.) I've learned to look always at that 'little-tent' in the Molexes. Too lazy to troubleshoot the consequences.

Concur re ever trusting the thing again.. with $/TB decreasing as we speak, it isn't even worth My time to futz with the stuff I was suggesting, except: data recovery doesn't care about practicality.
(Maybe the dead-short failure-mode is also intentional? All switchers would shut-down for that - right?)

Info == power! You got the exact component without a tedious tracing sans schematic.
(But I think it would have been more Fun.. had it been a fixable 'Open' inside!)

Could the Why of the new board's failure to communicate -- be a firmware thing? Go to all that trouble and find ... you have to match some firmware to a specific run of drives, etc. == bummer.

Congrats on Success!

I.
     How do I love Linux...let me count the ways! - (beepster) - (25)
         /me has really stopped preaching now... - (folkert) - (24)
             Ar. - (malraux)
             rather backup than raid. - (boxley) - (15)
                 Don't put it off. - (Another Scott) - (14)
                     dont need a bootable backup - (boxley)
                     Bootable? - (beepster) - (12)
                         In my case, it was necessary. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                             The Cosmos is in vengeance mode - - per this thread - (Ashton) - (4)
                                 Try some different writing software. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Re: Try some different writing software. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         I found something called ImgBurn for the same purpose. - (static)
                                 Thanks, tipsters - (Ashton)
                             Well, it was worth a shot, I guess... - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                 Never say die.. say DAMN! - (Ashton) - (4)
                                     Should have looked around a little more... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                         Woot! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                             :-) No jumpers. It's the standard SATA setup. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                         Nice. Save. - (Ashton)
             Sounds a lot like UPSs. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                 Re: Sounds a lot like UPSs. - (folkert)
                 Or tape backups. - (static) - (4)
                     I had one client . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                         Hah. - (static) - (2)
                             Such tales through the decades have convinced me that.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 there is only one reliable backup - (boxley)

I'm picturing tablizer on a laptop dragging around a 486 whitebox running Linux attached to a really long extension cord.
108 ms