IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New rather backup than raid.
reminds me I need to do one some time :-)
New Don't put it off.
I was just telling a long story of what happened to me at work last week in a reply to Greg, but hit the "Back" button by mistake. So it's gone now. :-( I'll try again later.

Long story short - don't put off making a bootable backup.

Cheers,
Scott.
New dont need a bootable backup
my music is slung around different hard and flash drives
I have hard copies of my taxes, need to remember to burn a cd once a year when I do a new one.
Quiken files and my docs that is about it. At home I just run OSX vanilla and windows 98 for net surfing when the two other machines are being used otherwise it is off
thanx,
bill
New Bootable?
Not really necessary as much as just knowing the important files are saved.

In my case, its the time involved in creating some of the stuff...music, financial records (taxes, scans of statements, etc) that simply make it painful to recover if lost.

I don't mind starting fresh on the OS. I've got my app pool down and have all the disks stored in one spot. Having run windows long enough you learn some things. Not having to scratch around to find disk 3 of a set is one of those things :-)
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New In my case, it was necessary.
[edit] Doubled up backslashes to make them visible. [/edit]

Last week I needed to install a 2001-ish vintage ancient Flash memory driver for a camera that uses "SSFDC" memory on a Win2k-SP4 PC (ASUS A8V motherboard). The driver would appear to install Ok, but then the PC would crash to a black screen (with register information) when the installation completed. This happened 3 times. Since I was in a hurry to gain access to the photos on that memory card, I tried one more tack – I told Windows to look for a compatible driver. It listed something, but said something like, “we really don't recommend that you use this driver”. But I was in a hurry, so I did anyway.

A couple of reboots later, the PC crashed on startup saying, roughly, “Windows cannot find c:\winnt\system32\config\software”. After searching around a while on another PC, I discovered that this is one of the important software “hives” that is used to construct the Registry. F8 to try to get into SafeMode did nothing different - it crashed in the same place.

Naturally, I didn't have any backups of the Registry that Windows was looking for, nor an Emergency Rescue disk.

:-(

The boot drive is a RAID mirror consisting of two 160 GB drives. It has 2 partitions – a 30 GB boot partition, and a 130-ish GB data partition. Win2k-SP4 has the necessary 48-bit LBA driver to allow Windows to see the whole disk – without it, it only sees ~ 128 GB. I knew that the Win2k-SP2 disk didn't have that driver, so I knew going in that I could be in for a world of pain if I had to reinstall because the install disk wouldn't see the whole disk and would probably trash the data partition. There's another 300 GB SATA data disk that is not mirrored.

So, I did my best to avoid reinstalling.

I thought I'd try booting the Win2k-SP2 CD to see if I could do a Recovery. Ack! It didn't see the drive at all! It took me too long to remember that it was a Promise 378 RAID array and I needed to install the driver (at the F6 prompt). But there was that problem about the 48-bit LBA. Hmmm.

I eventually found Bart's web page and his instructions on how to slipstream service packs into a bootable CD - http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#w2k . I booted it, saw both partitions correctly when I chose the “Repair” option, but was unable to do much of anything useful.

I had made a backup of the registry with Spybot Search and Destroy a few months earlier, but had not been able to figure out how to “run” the created files to do a restore. One needed to boot that particular Win2k installation to activate the registry, but it was too corrupted to do so. I still couldn't gain access to the Safe Mode menu by hitting F8 either - it always crashed before bringing up the alternate boot menu. I eventually found that if I replaced the clicky IBM AT keyboard that used an AT to PS/2 adapter with a Dell PS/2 keyboard, then F8 worked. I don't know if it was a coincidence, or the result of other changes (below).

I figured the disks, especially the RAID disks, were fine – just that Windows was mangled. BootIt Next Generation showed all the partitions and didn't seem to think anything was amiss.

By this point, I had created the slipstreamed Win2k-SP4 CD and figured, well, I better try a Recovery again. Naturally, it failed because I didn't have the necessary floppy with the data that it was looking for. The Recovery Console wouldn't let me execute the SBS&D .REG files either because it is so severely limited.

I thought I'd better check the disks to be sure everything was Ok before hand, and I decided to break the RAID array and keep the 2nd disk in the mirror as a virgin backup. So I removed the drive cage that held the 3 hard drives and routed the cables so the cage would fit flat. I had to disconnect the front fan's Molex connector to make some slack. I took one of the mirror drives and used a multi-way hard drive to USB adapter to look at the disk. It was fine. Yay!

After changing some things in the RAID BIOS so it quit complaining that the mirror was dying, I figured I'd tried everything, so I'd have to do a reinstall of some sort. But I wanted to preserve as many options as possible. I used the Win2k-SP4 disk and installed a new copy of the OS in c:\WinNTNew. It seemed to go fine (but at one point did ask for the original Win2k-PS2 disk, so Bart's instructions aren't complete - at least for SP4) and I was able to get a “working” VGA installation after an hour or so. I was even able to execute the SBS&D registry backup, but it applied to the new installation. It restored a bunch of stuff, but of course the Path was wrong and a lot of the DLLs for various things were never found. Some manual hacking could fix that, but I assumed that would be more painful than continuing to try to fix the original installation. But the *Windows Installer* wouldn't run, so I couldn't install drivers to get the new installation functional. :-(

I eventually found “backups” of the hives in “c:\WinNT\repair”. While booted into the new installation, I copied these into the c:\winnt\system32\config directory (saving the old ones as backups). I crossed my fingers and booted into the old installation. And it came up!

But, of course, all of my settings were gone, as well as all of the drivers. So a lot of work was still required. Running the SBS&D registry backups worked (er, the RegLocal.reg runs, but the RegUsers.reg always gives me an error that it can't access the registry. Perhaps it has to be run from Safe Mode or something.), but it still wasn't a complete restoration.

While various things were happening, I noticed that there was enough slack to get the hard drive fan working again, and I didn't want anything to over-heat, so I decided to plug a Molex connector in to get the fan going. Ack! What was that spark! Why did it shut off?!?! Crap. I touched the connectors together with the voltages reversed: +12 V <-> +5 V. :-( Oh well, maybe it shut off quickly enough not to do any damage....

Bootup again with the fan disconnected. Ack! Why is there light coming from under the 300 GB SATA drive?!?! Ack! It's on FIRE! Power off. A square chip was smoking. Bye bye data. :-(

Boot again. Ack! Why is it hanging in the BIOS screens? Try various things, disconnect all the internal hardware that uses the 12 V rail, remove and reinstall the video card, etc., etc. Check the power supply. Voltages seem Ok, but some of the electrolytics in the PS are swollen and seem to be oozing brown stuff at the top. Remember to replace it in the not too distant future....

Eventually, it booted up again.

Boot up again with the smoking drive disconnected. Yay, it's coming up. Why is my monitor flashing off and on every 3 seconds now? Crap. Is it the monitor or the video card? Try another monitor – same thing. Crap – it's the video card. Maybe I can tweak the settings. Hmm. The AGP acceleration is set at 0 rather than 8x and can't be changed. Let's hope that it's just the card... Let's try turning off the various hardware acceleration settings. With everything off, it doesn't flash! Yay! But why is it taking over a minute for a pop-up menu to appear? And so forth.

To end this long and painful story, the PC is running the original Win2k-SP4 installation again, but I still have a lot of work to do to restore backups and fix things. I replaced the ATI video card with a $50 PNY GeForce 6200 and it's running fine. I got “Registry Mechanic” to go through the Registry and clean out the cruft – at the moment I can't uninstall an old antivirus program to install a newer one, etc.

I haven't gone through such pain with Windows in a long time. It's not fun. :-(

Lesson's Learned:

1) Have working boot disks for your installation. Don't assume that the installation disks are sufficient if you've made lots of updates – especially if running Win2k or earlier. Make sure you know how your machine boots and know if it needs extra driver disks. Ideally have boot/install disks with all the necessary drivers (disk, video, Ethernet, etc.) already in place.

2) In Windows, run whatever you need to do to make Emergency Repair disks and make sure they work. (In the course of this, I discovered another of my PCs at work has a dead floppy.)

3) Don't depend on the connectors to prevent even instantaneous misconnection. Even an instantaneous short can cause Big Damage. If you have to make changes with the power on, watch what you're doing and be careful.

4) Have a backup system in place, for data and the OS. Especially if it's Windows.

5) Consider modifying c:\boot.ini to create a boot menu for a different installation and for booting in Safe Mode. Sometimes F8 is temperamental. Consider creating an additional Windows installation for maintenance tasks, or have a copy of something like Bart's PE - http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ (which I haven't used) - for maintenance tasks. It really shouldn't be necessary to do a full reinstall when the registry gets mangled...

It's taken a good part of 3 days to get this far... :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
("Have you ever considered that your purpose in life is to be a counter-example to others?" :-)
Expand Edited by Another Scott Dec. 7, 2008, 09:34:51 PM EST
New The Cosmos is in vengeance mode - - per this thread
Arrggghhhh.. what a monstrous flow-chart of repetitive drudgery, just to barely-repair. What a primitive level all this committee-programmed crap is stuck in -- I Hates it! Is this month some more country-wide punishment for selecting BushCo -- when there was that chance to dump the sucker?

My share of whatever's going around - (eMachine surfer)
Went yesterday to back-up mail, docs etc, after sanitizing, compressing folders.
Errors.. about 9/10s through the copying.

3 coasters later (even trashing my lone CD/RW disc, tried) -- either the Samsung CD-R/W SW-408B died or Roxio 5 has eaten-self in such a way that it throws no intelligible 'missing __' type clues. Canned-air spray inside for easter-egg dust mote on laser? No dice. Diag format checker --> limbo, too, at about same 9/10s. Conclude: bad/dirty worm gear laser-mover maybe. Refuse to excavate. Done that - it now no fun.

At least copied from C: --> D: partitions; no help if HD expires, of course.
{sigh} IIRC Roxio periodically upgrades tables for new model arrivals, but usually forces an upgrade to get them. So would be best to find a 3-5 yo CDRW someone upgraded, for 110x or whatever. (This one is 8-8-32x. I no hurry.) There's always the Cpq to schlep the HD over to, for a copy. Or any Apple, next door.

Yeah, silly to patch up a 7 yo P-III, but I'm after that Guinness prize.
Condolences on your much more complexificated Billyware setup. I only wasted one day, but it seemed like a week.

(I hope to skip from 9.x to an appropriate 1-2 yo Apple and Never have to hit 10 sites just to get the list of mods to make XP semi-utile ... as tried by my neighbor a couple years back. Weeks of tweaky BS.)

So then: is it Bush, or Us? pissing off Cthulhu's Technical-tentacle this month?

PS - on this highly-forgetful s/ware, where Back<-- will erase composed text instantly - I note that, if you save partway through: you Can then move about; before first save: you lose.
(Not the case on old Zope ... created bad habits.)
New Try some different writing software.
Thanks for the sympathy. I was over-due, I guess. :-/

A free CD burning package I've used, BurnCDCC from Terabyte Unlimited, is a great tool, but doesn't specifically say that it will run on Win98. It does say in the .exe that Win32s is not supported (but that's used by Win 3.1x).

http://www.terabyteu...oads/burncdcc.zip - it's a 70 kB download.

Note that it's specifically designed to burn ISOs to CDs, so you'll need to create ISO files of the data you want to backup if you want to use it.

To create ISO files, you should be able to use the "mkisofs" program that's part of the "cdrtools-latest.zip" package here: http://smithii.com/cdrtools Note that I haven't tried them myself. (The zip file is 1.65 MB)

The CDRTools package is a Win32 compilation of some Linux tools. It probably has everything you need.

Condolences on the CD burner issues. I hope it's just a Roxio issue.

If you're thinking about a cheap Mac, keep MacofAllTrades in mind. They often have decent machines there for very low prices (but Intel machines are still not cheap): http://www.macofallt...lder_Macs_s/3.htm

Best of luck! I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Try some different writing software.
It's crazy that the software that Windows includes to write CDs blows chunks so spectacularly, but it does, and so that's why I tend to install http://cdburnerxp.se/ on Windows machines where I can't or won't use Nero.
New I found something called ImgBurn for the same purpose.
http://www.imgburn.com/

Of course, it can't burn to a drive that doesn't want to work, but I didn't know that when I downloaded it... :-/

Wade.
New Thanks, tipsters
Have an offer of a disused hP DVD-R/W, model DVD200i, ca '03 vintage -- but the web-mind has mixed reviews, most converging on:

those cheap %^#$&-tards at hP want $ + snail-mail-only s-l-o-w delivery of even -- drivers!
(as I also found out, re Carly's boutique-HP: when simply seeking drivers to convert the hP nb --> 9.x, the OS it came out with. Then, you had to go through A Technician™ @ $40ish a pop IIRC -- to get Anything. In past: these were on the site for the d/l-ing; then they got greedier. Screw hP.)

Saw the imgburn ap, may give it a go; alas, Peter's selection ends in the ominous -'XP', making it a noncontender (on a 600 MHz, even if I didn't already despise its malware-magnetic attractors and complexified-bloat.)

Will have to put self in a lowered-consciousness state in order to move on to the autopsies; for next while, think I'll just let the sucker marinate, maybe take a look at the drive-screw / laser window.. Sometimes ya gets lucky.
New Well, it was worth a shot, I guess...
I found a site on the Internet that has circuit boards for hard drives and saw that he even had my exact Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300 GB SATA model. $50 was a little steep, but hey, it might actually work...

http://hdd-parts.com...-7200-8-sata.html

Installation was trivial. 6 each T8 Torx screws and lift off the board. Contact is made through 2 arrays of spring-loaded contacts underneath. Install the new board. Hook up an external SATA to USB adapter and fire it up. No smoke or fire this time. :-)

The drive spins, and there's some servo noise, but there was never unambiguous indication of the head moving. Winders doesn't see it and there's no indication that the USB controller sees anything either. :-(

I'll mess around with it some more, but it looks like a real possibility that the data's really gone.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who wonders if this technique would be a solution for the bricked 1.5 TB Seagate drives.)
New Never say die.. say DAMN!
Seems to come down to increasingly intricate work, with a large Luck-factor, once the outboard electronics is (presumed) vetted. As nobody publishes the schematics for such proprietary (and ever-altering) boards: makes it hard to (see where to) measure the resistance of the coil driving the head positioner (not to mention: look for Opens in the/a head-coil(s) -- though that's irrelevant if the suckers cannot be moved in the first place.)

As to making a mini- clean-enough room via big plastic bag and a through-flow of some clean bottled gas: you'd hope to find that the head-positioner is connected by a mylar strap-with-traces: into a soft elastomer? receiving jack. And it has just come loose. Odds?

Anyway, what's to lose? I suppose I'd want to take a peek inside, once all imaginable outside tests have revealed nada. Gas bottle + regulator (on loan?) with carefully air-blasted-off surgeon gloves -- could get you a reasonable probability that any micro-contaminants would not destroy things in the time span to dump the data (?) Can't see such a venture needing hours and hours.. which is a +
('Clean'-rooms are, in the end: merely 'clean-enough'. That Questar telescope cleaning was probably the closest I've 'seen' to Perfection in that arena.)

And, at least from Inside: you could measure the resistance of that driver coil; perhaps see why you don't hear head action.. perhaps even see a broken *teensy lead-in wire? You Can run the drive with top off and see exactly what isn't happening -- saw this under Plexiglass at a show or two. Highly-unlikely your new/used controller board would have an identical failure to present one, eh?

* there is (somewhere!) silver-bearing conductive epoxies (or similar) which could repair such jeweler-level wire-sizes, though the Formvar(?) insulation would need a drop of the magic solvent for that: also Out There.) Without a micro-soldering station to-hand.. well, you Know.

(I have, through the years (with/without assistance) embarked on such improbable projects.. usually because The Machine was down and, you do what you Have To.)
Watched true Maestros, too -- for tips on not over-doing! These were not all fools' errands and it feels rilly Good to beat the odds.

Luck!

moi

PS - as to Doze not seeing it.. I would imagine that, sans actual head-positioning feedback to the firmware, there would be some equivalent to a 'POK'? POST [negative] etc. which would then fail to tell the outside world that it's ready for business. No? So a broken/detached wire likely would do just what you see. WAG, etc.
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 28, 2009, 05:44:41 PM EST
New Should have looked around a little more...
Thanks for your thoughts on diagnosing it. I was almost certain that the remaining problem had to do with the board, not the motors, etc. I remember taking apart a 10 MB HD to see the damage inside, and figured if it came to that with this box then I'd have no hope.

I did some more searching using "Seagate 7200.8" and found forum.hddguru.com . It has lots of good information about fixing drives.

The contraption that got roasted on the original circuit board of drive is a "TVS" - Trans Voltage Suppressor. It's a diode that's designed to protect the rest of the electronics if bad things happen to the input voltage. It's apparently quite common for them to fail via a dead short (as seemed to happen in my case based on the PS issues I was having).

http://forum.hddguru...t9998.html#p70888

So I had an excuse to drag out my soldering iron. And guess what? Removing the roasted TVS fixes the drive! Woot! :-D

So, I'm out $50 for that replacement circuit board (which I'm under the impression should have worked), but I've apparently got all my old data back. But, while replacement TVS parts apparently are available, I think I'll play it safe and relegate this drive to the parts bin after I get all the data off it.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who has turned it off until he can get another drive ready to back it up. And who is much more careful about hooking up power connectors on open PCs now...)
New Woot!
The data is the important thing.

The "replacement board" is probably off a bad drive whose electronics failed.

Were there any jumpers to set? And if so, did you match them to original?
Alex
New :-) No jumpers. It's the standard SATA setup.
New Nice. Save.
Indeed, it appears that this TVS did exactly what it was supposed to do -- die First before all the other stuff Would! (Forgot you had er, REVERSED POLARITY as in, bad-Scott.) I've learned to look always at that 'little-tent' in the Molexes. Too lazy to troubleshoot the consequences.

Concur re ever trusting the thing again.. with $/TB decreasing as we speak, it isn't even worth My time to futz with the stuff I was suggesting, except: data recovery doesn't care about practicality.
(Maybe the dead-short failure-mode is also intentional? All switchers would shut-down for that - right?)

Info == power! You got the exact component without a tedious tracing sans schematic.
(But I think it would have been more Fun.. had it been a fixable 'Open' inside!)

Could the Why of the new board's failure to communicate -- be a firmware thing? Go to all that trouble and find ... you have to match some firmware to a specific run of drives, etc. == bummer.

Congrats on Success!

I.
     How do I love Linux...let me count the ways! - (beepster) - (25)
         /me has really stopped preaching now... - (folkert) - (24)
             Ar. - (malraux)
             rather backup than raid. - (boxley) - (15)
                 Don't put it off. - (Another Scott) - (14)
                     dont need a bootable backup - (boxley)
                     Bootable? - (beepster) - (12)
                         In my case, it was necessary. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                             The Cosmos is in vengeance mode - - per this thread - (Ashton) - (4)
                                 Try some different writing software. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Re: Try some different writing software. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         I found something called ImgBurn for the same purpose. - (static)
                                 Thanks, tipsters - (Ashton)
                             Well, it was worth a shot, I guess... - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                 Never say die.. say DAMN! - (Ashton) - (4)
                                     Should have looked around a little more... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                         Woot! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                             :-) No jumpers. It's the standard SATA setup. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                         Nice. Save. - (Ashton)
             Sounds a lot like UPSs. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                 Re: Sounds a lot like UPSs. - (folkert)
                 Or tape backups. - (static) - (4)
                     I had one client . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                         Hah. - (static) - (2)
                             Such tales through the decades have convinced me that.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 there is only one reliable backup - (boxley)

I didn't think that word took a modifier.
151 ms