IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The Cosmos is in vengeance mode - - per this thread
Arrggghhhh.. what a monstrous flow-chart of repetitive drudgery, just to barely-repair. What a primitive level all this committee-programmed crap is stuck in -- I Hates it! Is this month some more country-wide punishment for selecting BushCo -- when there was that chance to dump the sucker?

My share of whatever's going around - (eMachine surfer)
Went yesterday to back-up mail, docs etc, after sanitizing, compressing folders.
Errors.. about 9/10s through the copying.

3 coasters later (even trashing my lone CD/RW disc, tried) -- either the Samsung CD-R/W SW-408B died or Roxio 5 has eaten-self in such a way that it throws no intelligible 'missing __' type clues. Canned-air spray inside for easter-egg dust mote on laser? No dice. Diag format checker --> limbo, too, at about same 9/10s. Conclude: bad/dirty worm gear laser-mover maybe. Refuse to excavate. Done that - it now no fun.

At least copied from C: --> D: partitions; no help if HD expires, of course.
{sigh} IIRC Roxio periodically upgrades tables for new model arrivals, but usually forces an upgrade to get them. So would be best to find a 3-5 yo CDRW someone upgraded, for 110x or whatever. (This one is 8-8-32x. I no hurry.) There's always the Cpq to schlep the HD over to, for a copy. Or any Apple, next door.

Yeah, silly to patch up a 7 yo P-III, but I'm after that Guinness prize.
Condolences on your much more complexificated Billyware setup. I only wasted one day, but it seemed like a week.

(I hope to skip from 9.x to an appropriate 1-2 yo Apple and Never have to hit 10 sites just to get the list of mods to make XP semi-utile ... as tried by my neighbor a couple years back. Weeks of tweaky BS.)

So then: is it Bush, or Us? pissing off Cthulhu's Technical-tentacle this month?

PS - on this highly-forgetful s/ware, where Back<-- will erase composed text instantly - I note that, if you save partway through: you Can then move about; before first save: you lose.
(Not the case on old Zope ... created bad habits.)
New Try some different writing software.
Thanks for the sympathy. I was over-due, I guess. :-/

A free CD burning package I've used, BurnCDCC from Terabyte Unlimited, is a great tool, but doesn't specifically say that it will run on Win98. It does say in the .exe that Win32s is not supported (but that's used by Win 3.1x).

http://www.terabyteu...oads/burncdcc.zip - it's a 70 kB download.

Note that it's specifically designed to burn ISOs to CDs, so you'll need to create ISO files of the data you want to backup if you want to use it.

To create ISO files, you should be able to use the "mkisofs" program that's part of the "cdrtools-latest.zip" package here: http://smithii.com/cdrtools Note that I haven't tried them myself. (The zip file is 1.65 MB)

The CDRTools package is a Win32 compilation of some Linux tools. It probably has everything you need.

Condolences on the CD burner issues. I hope it's just a Roxio issue.

If you're thinking about a cheap Mac, keep MacofAllTrades in mind. They often have decent machines there for very low prices (but Intel machines are still not cheap): http://www.macofallt...lder_Macs_s/3.htm

Best of luck! I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Try some different writing software.
It's crazy that the software that Windows includes to write CDs blows chunks so spectacularly, but it does, and so that's why I tend to install http://cdburnerxp.se/ on Windows machines where I can't or won't use Nero.
New I found something called ImgBurn for the same purpose.
http://www.imgburn.com/

Of course, it can't burn to a drive that doesn't want to work, but I didn't know that when I downloaded it... :-/

Wade.
New Thanks, tipsters
Have an offer of a disused hP DVD-R/W, model DVD200i, ca '03 vintage -- but the web-mind has mixed reviews, most converging on:

those cheap %^#$&-tards at hP want $ + snail-mail-only s-l-o-w delivery of even -- drivers!
(as I also found out, re Carly's boutique-HP: when simply seeking drivers to convert the hP nb --> 9.x, the OS it came out with. Then, you had to go through A Technician™ @ $40ish a pop IIRC -- to get Anything. In past: these were on the site for the d/l-ing; then they got greedier. Screw hP.)

Saw the imgburn ap, may give it a go; alas, Peter's selection ends in the ominous -'XP', making it a noncontender (on a 600 MHz, even if I didn't already despise its malware-magnetic attractors and complexified-bloat.)

Will have to put self in a lowered-consciousness state in order to move on to the autopsies; for next while, think I'll just let the sucker marinate, maybe take a look at the drive-screw / laser window.. Sometimes ya gets lucky.
     How do I love Linux...let me count the ways! - (beepster) - (25)
         /me has really stopped preaching now... - (folkert) - (24)
             Ar. - (malraux)
             rather backup than raid. - (boxley) - (15)
                 Don't put it off. - (Another Scott) - (14)
                     dont need a bootable backup - (boxley)
                     Bootable? - (beepster) - (12)
                         In my case, it was necessary. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                             The Cosmos is in vengeance mode - - per this thread - (Ashton) - (4)
                                 Try some different writing software. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Re: Try some different writing software. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         I found something called ImgBurn for the same purpose. - (static)
                                 Thanks, tipsters - (Ashton)
                             Well, it was worth a shot, I guess... - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                 Never say die.. say DAMN! - (Ashton) - (4)
                                     Should have looked around a little more... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                         Woot! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                             :-) No jumpers. It's the standard SATA setup. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                         Nice. Save. - (Ashton)
             Sounds a lot like UPSs. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                 Re: Sounds a lot like UPSs. - (folkert)
                 Or tape backups. - (static) - (4)
                     I had one client . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                         Hah. - (static) - (2)
                             Such tales through the decades have convinced me that.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 there is only one reliable backup - (boxley)

Impossible.
135 ms