IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sounds a lot like UPSs.
They work fine until there's a power outage.
New Re: Sounds a lot like UPSs.
Wow... more Deja Vu

Yes. Even though the testing happens regularly... they still end up not working right.
New Or tape backups.
I have, er, had, some files on an aging DLTIII cartridge I would really like back. Unfortuantely, though the drive is bulletproof, the tape is dying. Result: data not readable. :-( Ah well. I guess I'll just have to start the collection again...

Wade.
New I had one client . . .
. . who's tape drive reported success in every backup for years. Unfortunately the verify was done on the fly instead of a verify pass.

His hard disk failed. Turned out the drive speed regulation was waaaaaay off - so much flutter even a recovery house couldn't follow it.

Fortunately not my responsibility - backup script by his software vendor and his responsibility to verify (they said, of course he hadn't a clue how to do that).

My sympathy glands were not exercised at all since this is a Beverly Hills client - which means I have to extort payment for all services, which may take a year or more.

Classic:

Stew (one of my clients): "No, I won't sell you this steel."
Customer: "Why not?" (very offended)
Stew: "Every time I've sold you something I've had to sue you to get paid, that's why."
Customer: "So, what's wrong with that? I figure if you don't sue me for the money you just don't want it enough."

Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Dec. 9, 2008, 02:00:18 AM EST
New Hah.
I used to work for an "entrepeneur" who did accounts a bit like that. He got as much credit as he could from anyone he owed money to, often weeks beyond their "official" terms, but if anyone owed him money, he would terminate services on the due date.

My tape drive likes to turn on the Cleaning Needed light when loading these problem tapes. But put in a known good tape and the light goes out... :-) Of course, the light really means it's getting read errors from the tape.

Wade.
New Such tales through the decades have convinced me that..
"Storage" >in perpetuo< of digital Yes/Noes is largely a Myth.

Unless multiple copies are made, each verified (in a completely separate/dupe system mirroring the Desired One): via actual reload, not once but n-times, and periodically re-verified by the same time-wasting process:

You Ain't {RILLY...} got Shite.
(Just a warm fuzzy that, maybe.. ya gots a few pieces. If ya pays the Recovery Folk for their boat payments needs.)

OH and: even doing above, best lay away (and periodically test, troubleshoot, renew) the 3-5 separate == 'backup' [Readers + s/ware] -- of whatever 'medium' gave you the warm fuzzies when the Marketing guy layed it on ya. That is, if you Really Really 'NEED' those bits.

Have I missed a step? or 12.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
-- H.L. Mencken
New there is only one reliable backup
several hard copies placed in several papers to resurrect the books after failure. Everything else is a crapshoot
     How do I love Linux...let me count the ways! - (beepster) - (25)
         /me has really stopped preaching now... - (folkert) - (24)
             Ar. - (malraux)
             rather backup than raid. - (boxley) - (15)
                 Don't put it off. - (Another Scott) - (14)
                     dont need a bootable backup - (boxley)
                     Bootable? - (beepster) - (12)
                         In my case, it was necessary. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                             The Cosmos is in vengeance mode - - per this thread - (Ashton) - (4)
                                 Try some different writing software. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Re: Try some different writing software. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         I found something called ImgBurn for the same purpose. - (static)
                                 Thanks, tipsters - (Ashton)
                             Well, it was worth a shot, I guess... - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                 Never say die.. say DAMN! - (Ashton) - (4)
                                     Should have looked around a little more... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                         Woot! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                             :-) No jumpers. It's the standard SATA setup. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                         Nice. Save. - (Ashton)
             Sounds a lot like UPSs. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                 Re: Sounds a lot like UPSs. - (folkert)
                 Or tape backups. - (static) - (4)
                     I had one client . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                         Hah. - (static) - (2)
                             Such tales through the decades have convinced me that.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 there is only one reliable backup - (boxley)

The alien burst from Dan's stomach. Spaghetti sauce or blood spattered the wall. It was probably blood. Either way, it would stain.
217 ms