IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: old man was a shop steward for uaw
Just pointing out that the fact that it went badly for them (due in no small part to management not doing a good job) doesn't invalidate the huge benefits that unions brought to the average working person.
New no question, back in the 60's
it wasnt so much about hourly wages as decent benefits and pensions. Later the union fought too hard to keep the payroll ballooned instead of right sizing negotiations with the companies. This wasnt the only cause of the costs that drug down sales by no means but it was a factor
New I was thinking more about the tens and twenties
Life in a factory was nasty, brutish, and short in those days, and often took limbs.

At least, that's when the labour movement started to really get going up here, which resulted over the course of the following three decades in the environment that your dad was working in. If he'd been trying to get benefits etc back then, chances were good that he'd be beaten into stupidity for his troubles.
     great, my electric bill is gonna go thru the roof - (boxley) - (58)
         Question - (drook) - (57)
             question does a volume user get discounts? - (boxley) - (6)
                 "Punish" is a loaded word - (drook) - (5)
                     okay, push extra cost on "thing" that provides - (boxley) - (4)
                         Yeah, making manufacturers pay the true costs is so onerous -NT - (drook) - (3)
                             I missed something I think - (boxley) - (2)
                                 I'm not allowed to spew sulfer and ash on my neighbor's yard -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                     thats why I suggested fines and incentives for fixing that - (boxley)
             Excuse me? - (beepster) - (49)
                 Ahh, okay - (drook) - (1)
                     Re: Ahh, okay - (beepster)
                 Wrong. They can - (jake123) - (46)
                     nothing wrong with unions as long as they are a partner -NT - (boxley) - (44)
                         As in partner in the business? - (drook) - (43)
                             do you earn your nut? - (boxley) - (42)
                                 Do *they* earn it? - (drook) - (41)
                                     Some will, some won't - (beepster) - (40)
                                         Then clearly I should be more grateful than I am - (drook) - (39)
                                             no, grateful is the wrong word - (boxley)
                                             Why? - (beepster) - (37)
                                                 Look at the comment that started this branch - (drook) - (36)
                                                     And I will say to that... - (beepster) - (35)
                                                         History does not support your prognosis -NT - (jake123) - (6)
                                                             caw? My old man suffered crippling strikes for the future of - (boxley) - (5)
                                                                 Box - (jake123) - (4)
                                                                     old man was a shop steward for uaw - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                         Re: old man was a shop steward for uaw - (jake123) - (2)
                                                                             no question, back in the 60's - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                 I was thinking more about the tens and twenties - (jake123)
                                                         Corporations are many-headed monsters. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                                                             And I'll continue to insist - (beepster) - (4)
                                                                 Red card, player ejected - (drook) - (3)
                                                                     No, what I'm rejecting - (beepster) - (2)
                                                                         Ahh, now I get it - (drook) - (1)
                                                                             Obviously it doesn't - (beepster)
                                                             how many board level folks have you chatted with? - (boxley) - (6)
                                                                 Then explain ... - (drook) - (5)
                                                                     Thou sayest. -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                     what is the long term effect on their stock price compared. - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                         If it worked the way Adam Smith said, things would be better - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                             Re: If it worked the way Adam Smith said, things would be be - (beepster)
                                                                             thanks for making my point - (boxley)
                                                         Key phrase in there - (drook) - (14)
                                                             Re: Key phrase in there - (beepster) - (13)
                                                                 I see no 'explanation' - (Ashton) - (12)
                                                                     put this in your pipe and smoke it - (boxley) - (11)
                                                                         Private companies are different. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                             aug 2004 isnt that long ago - (boxley)
                                                                         Won't light, must be wet - (drook) - (8)
                                                                             Is he not a CEO? - (beepster) - (7)
                                                                                 So what's your argument now? - (drook) - (6)
                                                                                     Shouldn't I be asking you that? - (beepster) - (5)
                                                                                         Again, look at what started this - (drook) - (4)
                                                                                             Ok - (beepster)
                                                                                             good, back on point - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                                 I figure unions are like advertising - (drook) - (1)
                                                                                                     ICLRPD -NT - (folkert)
                     Not 100% - (beepster)

Yeeaaahhhh! I'm the mae-stro!
69 ms