IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So what's your argument now?
That CEOs in general don't actually exhibit the behavior I've described? Or that they only do it because the shareholders demand it?

And while we're at it, you seem to be suggesting that "the stockholders" has some significant overlap with "the workers". Which may be slightly true, but ignores the fact that catering to "the street" doesn't mean main street, it means Wall Street. The analysts and institutional investors drive the short-term thinking, not the people who only check their 401k every couple of months.
--

Drew
New Shouldn't I be asking you that?
Since your prejudice had no mention of any influence other than the CEO. The CEO was the root of that evil.

Now it seems that you are changing that to the real influence being Wall Street.

Could it be that the decisions are not as easy or as simple as being at the whim of one man/woman?

Could it be that there are more (considering the volume of President/CEO titled individuals) like that at Cox then there are like those you have determined to be blanket evil bastards?

My point all along is simply that. You CANNOT generalize. It is no less prejudicial that any other statement you may make about groups based on any race, creed, etc..whether born that way or part of a group of choice. There are alot of CEOs and they don't all get press and I posit that more of them are human that you give them credit for being.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New Again, look at what started this
I was talking about Box's statement about unions. Instead of CEOs or Wall Street, fill in !$unions if it makes you feel better. Whoever it is that unions are negotiating with. Whoever it is that Box said unions should partner with.

His statement was that unions are good if and only if they partner with ... well, pick your label, but he clearly meant the people running the company the union members work for.

I suggest instead that unions exist because there are companies that otherwise don't treat their employees as partners.

See? He said something about unions, I disagreed, and said essentially the opposite thing about unions. But we both said something about unions. If you'd rather talk about the saintly intentions of CEOs and defend them against my outrageous and untrue aspersions, go right ahead. As long as you understand that I was talking about unions.
--

Drew
New Ok
but your approach would have been slightly different had Box said "unions should be ignored because they're all crooked fronts for organized crime". Clearly there is evidence of this being the case with a couple, so they must all be like that.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New good, back on point
unions allow workers to have a seat at managements table. If thats the case they need to be in partnership with management rather than antagonists to allow the underlying entity (the company) to prosper. A bad union is the same as a bad ceo, both can kill the entity
New I figure unions are like advertising
You know at least half of them are a waste of money, but you never know which half.
--

Drew
New ICLRPD
     great, my electric bill is gonna go thru the roof - (boxley) - (58)
         Question - (drook) - (57)
             question does a volume user get discounts? - (boxley) - (6)
                 "Punish" is a loaded word - (drook) - (5)
                     okay, push extra cost on "thing" that provides - (boxley) - (4)
                         Yeah, making manufacturers pay the true costs is so onerous -NT - (drook) - (3)
                             I missed something I think - (boxley) - (2)
                                 I'm not allowed to spew sulfer and ash on my neighbor's yard -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                     thats why I suggested fines and incentives for fixing that - (boxley)
             Excuse me? - (beepster) - (49)
                 Ahh, okay - (drook) - (1)
                     Re: Ahh, okay - (beepster)
                 Wrong. They can - (jake123) - (46)
                     nothing wrong with unions as long as they are a partner -NT - (boxley) - (44)
                         As in partner in the business? - (drook) - (43)
                             do you earn your nut? - (boxley) - (42)
                                 Do *they* earn it? - (drook) - (41)
                                     Some will, some won't - (beepster) - (40)
                                         Then clearly I should be more grateful than I am - (drook) - (39)
                                             no, grateful is the wrong word - (boxley)
                                             Why? - (beepster) - (37)
                                                 Look at the comment that started this branch - (drook) - (36)
                                                     And I will say to that... - (beepster) - (35)
                                                         History does not support your prognosis -NT - (jake123) - (6)
                                                             caw? My old man suffered crippling strikes for the future of - (boxley) - (5)
                                                                 Box - (jake123) - (4)
                                                                     old man was a shop steward for uaw - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                         Re: old man was a shop steward for uaw - (jake123) - (2)
                                                                             no question, back in the 60's - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                 I was thinking more about the tens and twenties - (jake123)
                                                         Corporations are many-headed monsters. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                                                             And I'll continue to insist - (beepster) - (4)
                                                                 Red card, player ejected - (drook) - (3)
                                                                     No, what I'm rejecting - (beepster) - (2)
                                                                         Ahh, now I get it - (drook) - (1)
                                                                             Obviously it doesn't - (beepster)
                                                             how many board level folks have you chatted with? - (boxley) - (6)
                                                                 Then explain ... - (drook) - (5)
                                                                     Thou sayest. -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                     what is the long term effect on their stock price compared. - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                         If it worked the way Adam Smith said, things would be better - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                             Re: If it worked the way Adam Smith said, things would be be - (beepster)
                                                                             thanks for making my point - (boxley)
                                                         Key phrase in there - (drook) - (14)
                                                             Re: Key phrase in there - (beepster) - (13)
                                                                 I see no 'explanation' - (Ashton) - (12)
                                                                     put this in your pipe and smoke it - (boxley) - (11)
                                                                         Private companies are different. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                             aug 2004 isnt that long ago - (boxley)
                                                                         Won't light, must be wet - (drook) - (8)
                                                                             Is he not a CEO? - (beepster) - (7)
                                                                                 So what's your argument now? - (drook) - (6)
                                                                                     Shouldn't I be asking you that? - (beepster) - (5)
                                                                                         Again, look at what started this - (drook) - (4)
                                                                                             Ok - (beepster)
                                                                                             good, back on point - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                                 I figure unions are like advertising - (drook) - (1)
                                                                                                     ICLRPD -NT - (folkert)
                     Not 100% - (beepster)

You have mushrooms walking around. What do you expect?
195 ms