IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Finishing school wouldn't have changed his appeal at all.
And my whole point is that he could have used his enormous appeal to promote a message seldom (if ever) heard from athletes: education is more important than a game. This whole "He says, 'Set goals, work hard and stick to them'" schtick he gets credited for completely baffles me. He is just another jock. Atypical game, sure. But in the final analysis he is just another jock. He could have been more, but chose not to be. And I still say that is a pity.
bcnu,
Mikem

Microsoft Vista. The best reason ever to buy a Mac.
New Sadly, there are only a vanishing-few examples of This
combination of nascent-wisdom + the patience to work AND wait.. (for the Big rewards.)
Andy Hertzfeld - (orig. Mac team) really Did go back and get his engineering degree, after all those years of exponential growth, 36-hour daze and: with enough bucks to coast mindlessly for life, even.

I dunno anymore.. where those with a good chance of achieving adulthood before age 60ish - ought "to go." We have to remember always: Murica IS an 'anti-intellectual' society. From the first, but especially later-on, after lots of cheap toys exploded, next became: the things to Get. Endlessly.

The idea of "a liberal education" was always strong with the already-educated, and for them - the idea of a Glorified Trade School instead, was anathema. But levels-of-Crass appear to have risen with every new 'financial instrument' imagineered, until - now, it's ALL about the Money / Getting Yours and - screw Beowulf, Cato (but not the Cato Institute) or ''' apostrophes.

Sadly too, for proper weighting of that 'degree' + Murican myths, folkways - AE as Prime example:
It does seem that the Very-bright are as often confounded by the ritual/rote aspects of "average(d) coursework" - as actually catalyzed. (Even AE 'consulted' on advanced math - with his first wife and with others, re the heady math of the General/Special Theories. And we know what his Profs thought of his response to their content/style.)

Then look at the code genius Alan Turing - killed off by a braindead pecksniff (even Ashcroft was not That sort of cretin - if we are to believe his refusal to sign a blank check for the Constitution - over to the WH mafiosi scum sent to Get One. And he did this while still drugged, yet! +3 for John.) Genius, even - counts for shit in any Puritan-derived group. (And that was UK.. less excuse.)

But yeah, at the level of us mere mortals + kids in any ghetto: our entire Star-besotted kultur sends them all the diametrical opposite direction, for them ever to achieve the functioning brain behind that modern rarity - adulthood.

(That 'biz-ed' bears little relationship to 'an authentic education' too; that such a choice affects many millions, maybe even: is the strongest dark-force maintaining a plurality here.. at the puerile level of 'consumer'-only -??- Well, no point in a thread of that direction.)

You can't diss the Actual Murican godhead ($$$) to any more effect than when one suggests a moratorium on (sugar-water + acids) carbonated beverages -- and those attack the body; only indirectly - this 'Mind' we are trying to feed.

That said -
..now, could I have played the trumpet like Sergei Nakariakov (or Alison Balsom) in early-teens? Screw! n lambda = 2d sin theta -- is what I would have said/done :-)
(Even ~knowing the precarious existence of instrumental solo work, long -term)
Fortunately (??) .. wrong bone-structure for such transcendence.

We are NOT 'rational creatures' - except in hindsight and when prescribing for Others.
Maybe the bonobos will do a better job with their opposed thumbs. Could hardly do worse.
Now, IF NOT ELSE the cockroaches... forget all about Consciousness - a passing fad.

Berry Bonds is the Bush of Baseball - (tablizer) - (42)
         does tiger woods cheat? - (boxley) - (41)
             Yes. - (mmoffitt) - (40)
                 You know not of what you speak. -NT - (bepatient) - (39)
                     Wrong, Bluto. - (mmoffitt) - (38)
                         Oh, I don't think so. - (bepatient) - (37)
                             Fitness my @ss. - (mmoffitt) - (36)
                                 I'll give you... - (bepatient) - (35)
                                     I'll give you... - (mmoffitt) - (34)
                                         He went for 2 years - (bepatient) - (33)
                                             2 years != enrolled Fall 95 and exited Aug 96 - (mmoffitt) - (32)
                                                 Read much? Fall >94< through summer 96. - (bepatient) - (31)
                                                     "Set goals and work hard?" Like finish school? - (mmoffitt) - (30)
                                                         He can always go back to college. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                             Maybe I am too harsh on him. - (mmoffitt)
                                                         You didn't answer the fundamental question. - (bepatient) - (27)
                                                             You can't answer for me. - (mmoffitt) - (26)
                                                                 I know the names of the Challenger astronauts. - (bepatient) - (23)
                                                                     In a nutshell. Our difference is this. - (mmoffitt) - (22)
                                                                         Not even close. - (bepatient) - (14)
                                                                             Miss the ;0)? - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                                                                                 No I didn't. - (bepatient) - (12)
                                                                                     I don't feel sorry for Tiger. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                                                                         That much is obvious - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                                             You have a point. Sort of. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                                                                 Which school - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                                                     Saying I'm wrong doesn't make it so. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                                         We're getting nowhere so might as well stop. -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                                             Amen. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                                 Isn't an underlying assumption in all of this... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                                                     Finishing school wouldn't have changed his appeal at all. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                                         Sadly, there are only a vanishing-few examples of This - (Ashton)
                                                                                         why are you insulting asians? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                             I'm not. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                         Whataprick - (crazy) - (1)
                                                                             naw, he's just pissed that he finished school - (boxley)
                                                                         May I jump in and ask a question? - (jbrabeck) - (4)
                                                                             Good point - (imqwerky) - (2)
                                                                                 Re: Good point - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                     there ya go - (imqwerky)
                                                                             Yeah. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                 I have been to colleges to lecture and demonstrate - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                     I guess I was in the 4% then. Thanks. ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)

An easy subject, at which very few excel!
136 ms