IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Contemporary/medieval?
I think that was the worst failing of the movie. You see, magic in it is a bit too magical. It's too obvious that the movie is done by a muggle. Wizards in the book are no more awed by magic than you are awed by an electric bulb. In fact, they are more awed by an electric bulb. The movie leaves a taste of super-powerful demi-gods in my mouth, while in the book magic is simply different technology, to be studied and employed like ours. Remember "Where Wisards Stay Up Late"? That would be the closest non-fiction.
New I dunno.
You're right about wizards being in awe of technology like electricity - that comes through even stronger in later books. But I didn't think magic in the movie came across like you suggested. IIRC, the students were in awe of the older wizards, but only because they had learnt more. (Even Hermione - with two muggle-born parents - was not surprised at the magically shifting stair cases.) And I don't remember any of the adult wizards showing the least bit of surprise at magic.

OTOH, there was a subtle muggle-ness about its POV. Harry was, after all, raised as a muggle. :-)

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder...
For me, the first scene, where Dumbledore uses put-outer, sets the tone for the whole movie. It's not a "flick-flick-flick" of cigarette lighter, it's a complex weapon for killing lightbulbs. I guess I should try to ignore that one scene and see where it takes me.
     Harry Potter in print (no spoilers). - (static) - (44)
         Thanks - fine review. - (Ashton) - (32)
             Some things I forgot to mention. - (static) - (31)
                 Never understood the proscription of 'magic'. - (Ashton) - (30)
                     Re: Never understood the proscription of 'magic'. - (hnick) - (24)
                         General Question (for all) - (Ashton) - (23)
                             For me, reading was weirdly constructed - (wharris2) - (3)
                                 Anyone remember those SRA reading comprehension modules? - (wharris2) - (2)
                                     Yep, SRA. IBM owned them in the past... - (a6l6e6x)
                                     Yep. - (admin)
                             After some thought, no. - (hnick)
                             No epiphany here. - (a6l6e6x)
                             Could read in Kindergarten - (boxley)
                             Nope, not really. -NT - (admin)
                             I dunno, exactly. - (static)
                             Second thought - (Ashton)
                             Pretty much like Harris, can't remember when I couldn't. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 Addendum - (wharris2)
                             Can't remember that far back - (JayMehaffey)
                             That was some day! - (Arkadiy) - (5)
                                 Think I know - (Ashton) - (4)
                                     Oops. :) - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                         Thanks! That helps me as well. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                             Obviously: = "Greasy"! -NT - (CRConrad)
                                         Toosend tak - (Ashton)
                             Earliest reading memory for me... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Looks as if it's just Arkadiy & moi who can - (Ashton)
                             Can't remember when I couldn't - (drewk) - (1)
                                 (wince) baby talking - (wharris2)
                     Get inside their world view - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
                         But even given that, there's no justification... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                             Rah Rah CR! - (wharris2)
                             Sorry, they are being consistent - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Either/or, black/white: one could call it er, 'digital' :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
         Sorry, but AFAICT Blyton totally sucks once you're past ~14. -NT - (CRConrad)
         Addendum: I've now seen the movie! [spoiler warning] - (static) - (4)
             Definitely agree re Malfoy - (Meerkat)
             Contemporary/medieval? - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                 I dunno. - (static) - (1)
                     I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder... - (Arkadiy)
         Just finished #4. - (Ashton) - (4)
             I had to re-read my original post! - (static) - (3)
                 Magic research results:__ the empty set. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Re: Despite the many pins... - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         When ya gots all the money - what's left 'sides procreation? - (Ashton)

C:>_
364 ms