IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Addendum: I've now seen the movie! [spoiler warning]
... and it is definitely worth it! 4 and a half stars.

My biggest gripe is that they had to drop so much to make it a reasonable length movie. What I missed most was the various lessons Harry and friends learnt through the year, and as such the characterisations of the teachers were rather incomplete. There was also no reason I could see at all for dropping the potion puzzle with Hermione and Harry in the dungeon (it would have taken maybe 10 minutes of screen time). Apart from that, there was lots that would have been nice to see, but not missed so much.

Daniel Radcliffe has the distinct potential to be overshadowed by everything - even his own character. Fortunately, he isn't: I presume he must have been directed like that. Of the other characters, Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid absolutely shines ("I should not have told you that" :-). I thought Maggie Smith was a bit ordinary as McGonagall, which surprises me now that I think about it, but perhaps she didn't really have a lot to work with. Even in the books, McGonagall is not given much depth until the fourth book. Dumbledore, too, doesn't come across quite fully, either, but then his friendly and understanding attitude towards Harry at the end only hints at what he is like, again, something that only really comes out in later books. On the other hand, Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy really does not work. The effect is that Draco comes across as too much of a wannabe when in the book Harry, Ron and Hermione perceive him as much more of a threat. This, again, may be a case of simply not enough scenes for him.

Hogwarts itself is magnificent. Whilst it is hard to say it was what I imagined it to be from reading the book, I could certainly say it definitely does it justice. It and places like Diagon Alley give a delightful feel to how the wizarding world lives, and is one thing I like very much about the books. It is a curious mix of medieval with modern - witness Ollivander's wand shop, chock full of wands in cardboard boxes. Similarly is the students in wizard robes - over ordinary school uniforms!

Everyone comments on the Quidditch match. It was certainly very cinematic, but I felt not having seen Harry practise meant it lost something. But then, that would have been very difficult to put into the film.

It is tempting to compare HP with The Lord Of The Rings, but the two movies are intended to achieve different things. The most obvious difference is that the stories are very very different. A rather more subtle difference is that the role of magic is also vastly different. This does, in a way, exemplify everything that is different between the two. In the Harry Potter movie, magic is an everyday fact for people like Harry and learning how to do it is the point of Harry going to Hogwarts. In the Lord of the Rings, magic works very very differently and the story is one of ridding the world of a most dangerous magic. About the only thing in common with the two movies is the genre.

A reviewer on IMDB made the point that the confrontation with Voldemort seems to have overshadowed the fact that it was Harry's first year at Wizard school. This is a tricky balance. Rowling manages it very well in the novels and her involvement in making the movie probably helped make it work (I think) in the movie. IMO, movie makers will rarely do this, preferring to favour one story (usually called the "A" story) over the other (the "B" story). How Harry defeats Voldemort a second time is, I think, a very clever story device. If you've seen the movie but not read the book, then I can tell you that the explanation Dumbledore gives is pretty much exactly the same. (I can also assure you that Rowling finds a better way to describe it!)

I'm seriously interested in how well Warner et al bring the second book to the screen.

Wade.

PS. I have by now read all four books. Rowling gets better! If you found the first books un-put-down-able, you'll find the later ones impossible to stop reading! Harry Potter is top-drawer fantasy fiction.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Definitely agree re Malfoy
I was expecting him to be much more Crabb or Goyle-looking, not some little weedy guy.

Everything else in the movie was just as I imagined it to be, however.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Contemporary/medieval?
I think that was the worst failing of the movie. You see, magic in it is a bit too magical. It's too obvious that the movie is done by a muggle. Wizards in the book are no more awed by magic than you are awed by an electric bulb. In fact, they are more awed by an electric bulb. The movie leaves a taste of super-powerful demi-gods in my mouth, while in the book magic is simply different technology, to be studied and employed like ours. Remember "Where Wisards Stay Up Late"? That would be the closest non-fiction.
New I dunno.
You're right about wizards being in awe of technology like electricity - that comes through even stronger in later books. But I didn't think magic in the movie came across like you suggested. IIRC, the students were in awe of the older wizards, but only because they had learnt more. (Even Hermione - with two muggle-born parents - was not surprised at the magically shifting stair cases.) And I don't remember any of the adult wizards showing the least bit of surprise at magic.

OTOH, there was a subtle muggle-ness about its POV. Harry was, after all, raised as a muggle. :-)

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder...
For me, the first scene, where Dumbledore uses put-outer, sets the tone for the whole movie. It's not a "flick-flick-flick" of cigarette lighter, it's a complex weapon for killing lightbulbs. I guess I should try to ignore that one scene and see where it takes me.
     Harry Potter in print (no spoilers). - (static) - (44)
         Thanks - fine review. - (Ashton) - (32)
             Some things I forgot to mention. - (static) - (31)
                 Never understood the proscription of 'magic'. - (Ashton) - (30)
                     Re: Never understood the proscription of 'magic'. - (hnick) - (24)
                         General Question (for all) - (Ashton) - (23)
                             For me, reading was weirdly constructed - (wharris2) - (3)
                                 Anyone remember those SRA reading comprehension modules? - (wharris2) - (2)
                                     Yep, SRA. IBM owned them in the past... - (a6l6e6x)
                                     Yep. - (admin)
                             After some thought, no. - (hnick)
                             No epiphany here. - (a6l6e6x)
                             Could read in Kindergarten - (boxley)
                             Nope, not really. -NT - (admin)
                             I dunno, exactly. - (static)
                             Second thought - (Ashton)
                             Pretty much like Harris, can't remember when I couldn't. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 Addendum - (wharris2)
                             Can't remember that far back - (JayMehaffey)
                             That was some day! - (Arkadiy) - (5)
                                 Think I know - (Ashton) - (4)
                                     Oops. :) - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                         Thanks! That helps me as well. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                             Obviously: = "Greasy"! -NT - (CRConrad)
                                         Toosend tak - (Ashton)
                             Earliest reading memory for me... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Looks as if it's just Arkadiy & moi who can - (Ashton)
                             Can't remember when I couldn't - (drewk) - (1)
                                 (wince) baby talking - (wharris2)
                     Get inside their world view - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
                         But even given that, there's no justification... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                             Rah Rah CR! - (wharris2)
                             Sorry, they are being consistent - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Either/or, black/white: one could call it er, 'digital' :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
         Sorry, but AFAICT Blyton totally sucks once you're past ~14. -NT - (CRConrad)
         Addendum: I've now seen the movie! [spoiler warning] - (static) - (4)
             Definitely agree re Malfoy - (Meerkat)
             Contemporary/medieval? - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                 I dunno. - (static) - (1)
                     I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder... - (Arkadiy)
         Just finished #4. - (Ashton) - (4)
             I had to re-read my original post! - (static) - (3)
                 Magic research results:__ the empty set. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Re: Despite the many pins... - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         When ya gots all the money - what's left 'sides procreation? - (Ashton)

Non-migratory, just like cocopabanana blaps.
97 ms