IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Pretty simplistic dismissal
of a most complex matter: the infinite assortment of peoples' reasons for driving, the time aspects and especially; the way in which skill reduces the probability of error. It isn't just about physics - and even if it were, some like to sky-dive and some are fearful of own shadow. Few live a life dedicated 24/7 to maximizing 'safety' or even longevity! (Well.. there Are Economists, of course ;-)

If you don't drive, you cannot be aware of the very great differences in skill and especially: of discrimination. Part of that last is, as others in the thread have expanded - reserving higher speeds for areas appropriate to them. (I believe motorcycles inculcate this discrimination much faster and better than cars, which give especially the incompetents, a quite false sense of security).

Above all - higher speed demands higher *Attention. IMhO, it is inattention at the root of most (non-drugged) so-called 'accidents'. This even before general incompetence. And sloth.

* anecdote: it's said that when Juan Manuel Fangio, a legendary road racer - rode with ordinary drivers, he would often exclaim, Attention !! .. as he noticed a situation developing, before the average driver would. Maybe annoying - but at least he didn't die at hands of a distracted incompetent either.

At any rate - the topic is too large for such a digital slogan. But I'll give you: yes, there are (too) many who drive faster than their earned level of competence. YAN manifestation of creeping dumbth. Dumbth: #1 killer by all 'means'.

Ashton

PS - Speed DOES NOT kill: G-force of deceleration + local (penetrating) force/unit-area into bodies - kills. Some situations on road are best evaded by acceleration than braking, skidding while braking .. yada yada. It's an art form, living under physics Rulez.
New Needless distinction
IMhO, it is inattention at the root of most (non-drugged) so-called 'accidents'.

No need to make the distinction. If you are drugged, you don't have sufficient attention to pay. Just another route to the same problem, IMO.
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
     $103,000 speeding ticket for 46 mph in a 31 mph zone - (SpiceWare) - (39)
         Sounds reasonable to me - (pwhysall) - (21)
             Oh, I dunno - (jb4)
             you dont drive do you. :) -NT - (boxley) - (19)
                 No. - (pwhysall) - (18)
                     Doesn't alter the fact. - (Meerkat) - (1)
                         How do you think the Police make their money? - (nking)
                     They drive like maniacs near me - (nking) - (4)
                         The difference between St. Louis & Chicago - (jb4)
                         Heh, a lot refers to Sydney as well :) - (Meerkat) - (2)
                             Re: Sydney drivers r pretty good these days - tis the K1W1s - (dmarker2) - (1)
                                 In Thailand it is much worse - (nking)
                     Speed Limits - (Ric Locke) - (3)
                         Geeks on speed - (kmself) - (2)
                             Houston is in its own little world - (bconnors) - (1)
                                 here's something - (SpiceWare)
                     Pretty simplistic dismissal - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Needless distinction - (drewk)
                     First you make an annoying assumption that Americans - (boxley) - (4)
                         tire chirpers? - (wharris2) - (1)
                             Whenever I hear one o' those chirps - (Ashton)
                         Aha! - (Ric Locke) - (1)
                             naw got a right wrist problem - (boxley)
         But was it a "real" 31 mph zone? - (wharris2) - (16)
             It was in Finland, and based on his income in 1999 - (nking) - (15)
                 Re: It was in Finland, and based on his income in 1999 - (wharris2) - (14)
                     Is that like income-based income tax? :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                     That's bullshit, Will. - (CRConrad) - (12)
                         Re: Gotta agree on this 'un - (dmarker2)
                         Bullshit my ass - (wharris2) - (10)
                             Re: It really is relative - (dmarker2)
                             Yes, your ass, then - 'cos it is. - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                 perhaps a loss of driving privileges would serve as well? - (boxley) - (7)
                                     Yes, but then again, it wasn't all *that* bad; only speeding - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                         However eminently sensible is this sliding scale.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                             Licence Demerit Points. - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                                 Yes, CA has that too - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                     mind your L's and P's - (Meerkat)
                                         On the sliding scale - (wharris2) - (1)
                                             OK! -NT - (CRConrad)

I don't even think that thing in the middle is a net.
121 ms