IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well, romance is a social construct
while sex is an instinct. Of course, social constructs like that are very powerful in human beings. However, they are not universal; you were brought up to link them and Those Other Dudes were not.

Note for example the likely rates of infidelity in say Elizabethan England. Sex and emotion were not linked, though reproduction and emotion were: people were quite happy to fuck around, but if you threatened someone's children, they'd quite happily get all medieval on your ass... mediated by whether the children in question were in fact part of The Family as marked by society (i.e. marriage) or not.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Are you SURE?
Read [link|http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/14756|http://www.americans...ail/assetid/14756]. That suggests to me that there could well be a biological basis to intertwining sex and emotion, and that effect can vary between individuals. The fact that the same chemicals that trigger fidelity in voles are known to be found in humans, and are known to be tied to sex, is even more suggestive.

Besides, if there wasn't some biological drive being tapped into by romance, I strongly doubt that it would manage to be as effective a trigger as it is in our relationships. I also doubt that it would appear in as many forms in as many cultures over as it does. Sure, the actions that are seen as romantic vary widely by culture. But there seems to be a fairly universal underlying pattern.

I don't know where you get your caricature of Elizabethan England, but I'd suggest re-reading Shakespeare. His poems provide ample proof that romance existed then.

Now I'll grant that the amount which romance is emphasized varies over time. Just as people's susceptibility to it seems to vary by individual. Clearly it is not all biology.

But that doesn't mean that there can't be a biological component.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Questions- - (bionerd) - (56)
         usually they hate me :-) - (boxley)
         Men and Women can be friends. - (imric)
         Of course men and women can be platonic friends - (Silverlock) - (11)
             The two are distinct, though highly correlated - (ben_tilly)
             Fantasies about grappling - (bionerd) - (9)
                 Did you really just ask that? - (drewk) - (1)
                     Yeah, at that standard - (jake123)
                 Still yes, IMO - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     Well, romance is a social construct - (jake123) - (1)
                         Are you SURE? - (ben_tilly)
                 Not possible IMO - (Silverlock)
                 Only if one of them is asexual to start off with - (broomberg)
                 By definition . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 If the man is gay, yes. - (mmoffitt)
         Looking at it the wrong way - (drewk)
         Define Romantice Relationship - (jbrabeck)
         Answers - (ben_tilly)
         Re: Questions- - (Ashton)
         Haven't you watched Harry Met Sally? - (bepatient)
         Answers - (imqwerky)
         Well, having done it 4 or 5 times - maybe more . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Here's one opinion - (Nightowl)
         It's hard to divide affections. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Harold did Maude - (imqwerky) - (2)
                 I've not seen the movie in its entirety. It's on The List. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     It's a great flick. - (imqwerky)
         Thanks for the feedback - (bionerd) - (27)
             I don't think it does have such power - (drewk)
             I'll disagree with Drew - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                 Remember, I prefaced everything with "when I was single" - (drewk) - (3)
                     That sounds like the CYA clause - (jake123) - (2)
                         She doesn't read this - (drewk) - (1)
                             No. Eyes are for ... - (folkert)
             Another thought - (drewk) - (19)
                 As long as we're on gross generalizations . . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                     Want honesty? Check out the Russian Bride sites - (drewk) - (3)
                         Oh, when they say "generous" I assume they mean FAT -NT - (tuberculosis)
                         Havn't checked out any sites, but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Go for that one - (drewk)
                     I cant dispute your experiences - (bionerd) - (1)
                         Actually, my experiences aren't like that . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Nicole's personal ad must be like that. - (Another Scott)
                 The "girls" are a bunch of therapists - (bionerd) - (10)
                     So why do you expect to find a man who *doesn't* notice? -NT - (drewk) - (5)
                         I dont. - (bionerd) - (4)
                             Okay, maybe you don't want it - (drewk) - (3)
                                 No it doesnt - (bionerd) - (2)
                                     You obviously don't understand DrewK's role here. - (folkert)
                                     No... no, that is definitely Drew's job. - (admin)
                     So then eyes, etc, ARE the "naughty bits" for your gang. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         The voice, don't forget the voice! - (imqwerky)
                     stealth sex - (boxley) - (1)
                         Diet Coke through the nose! -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Here's my take - (Nightowl)
         Re: Questions- - (ubernostrum) - (1)
             So, did he pass the test? -NT - (broomberg)

No. It's "MIDDLE-Endian"!!!
189 ms