Think Drew's given one of the briefer summaries I've seen in a while - that covers one of the more useful angles.

But let's face 'it' - we are living within a culture that is, simply ~ clinically insane about most body-related functions. (Oblig: follow, a mere stone's throw {and there were many thrown} back to our Roots: the psychotic Puritans.)

No wonder there are entire cities of libraries full of ruminations on ~ What we *Ought* to Do - cha. cha. cha. And one of those once-clever dichotomies referred to Inner- and Other- 'directed' personalities. That was good for a giggle too (and some PhDs. And all those books.)

And that's just One so-called 'model'. So we won't get very far in the analysis paralysis racket {or raquet} Here - right? Some folks like to parse multiple 'models' - and imagine that the algebraic sum is some sorta mini-Truth. Moi? I join children everywhere who say- as re broccoli: It's spinach! and ta hell with it!

So I conclude: cui bono? (Who profits?) and its corollary cui [whatever] -- who is harmed? And that's about the simplest chestnut within our hilarious Word of Duality ~~ as dances trippingly to mind :-)

Bon umm appetit!