IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I would be nervous about this approach.
Yes, she should have to make a choice about how she learns because, ultimately, no one can force her to learn.

But teenagers can be very strong willed and can think that they are being forced into a particular choice when they're really not. Without knowing what Joe and his wife have tried, nor understanding more about their relationship with their daughter, I don't think that saying "Choose x, y, z or live elsewhere" is a productive strategy.

I assume she's under 18.

What will they do if she decides on the last option?

She may need to hit some sort of bottom before she accepts that she needs help. Confronting an impending reality may help. Teenagers often aren't rational though. Seeing beyond high school can be very, very difficult.

If she feels that her only choice is to leave, then it's possible (maybe even likely) that she'll not improve her math skills before more serious problems crop up.

Leaving home should never be a rash decision.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Depends on the kid and family
First of all I should admit that I don't have teenagers. However I've seen variations on the above strategy be successfully used. My opinion is that teenagers need to learn to take responsibility for their actions. Part of taking responsibility is understanding that your choices carry real consequences. Family can help. But at some point you have to help yourself.

I guess there is a philosophy question here. To me it is very important that adults understand that while other people cannot choose what you'll do, you likewise cannot choose what they'll do.

As for what to do if she seriously decides on the last option, I assume from the description that she has a father. Let her live with him! (I have a sister who did exactly that at what I suspect was a similar age. I think it was good for her.) Or find some other relative for her to live with.

But the hope is that she won't decide on the last option. Very few teenagers are ready to do that. Instead the hope is that she'll accept tutoring.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Need suggestion - (jbrabeck) - (29)
         Suggestion your wife may not agree with - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             I would be nervous about this approach. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Depends on the kid and family - (ben_tilly)
         I agree with Ben - (tuberculosis)
         Nothing first hand. - (Another Scott)
         How old? - (gdaustin) - (6)
             Re: How old? - (Nightowl) - (5)
                 The brother who sent cash for an E-Bay purchase? -NT - (broomberg) - (4)
                     Yep - (Nightowl) - (2)
                         And he's the smart one? -NT - (broomberg) - (1)
                             Re: And he's the smart one? - (Nightowl)
                     My mater, in '20s:____Oh.. you Kid! :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
         Re: Need suggestion - (Ashton)
         Is she receptive to carrot/stick? - (pwhysall)
         Check local college for tutors - (Silverlock)
         Added information to help with advice - (jbrabeck) - (13)
             Is she still under an IEP? - (bionerd) - (10)
                 Glasses and IEP - (jbrabeck) - (9)
                     One thing I've learned.. - (bionerd)
                     You're the adults; you TELL her to use 'em if she needs 'em. -NT - (CRConrad) - (7)
                         Says the newbie parent - (bionerd) - (6)
                             Been on the recieving end of it. Called child-rearing, AFAIK -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                 Naive. -NT - (admin) - (4)
                                     Bah. "Give 'em a good beating if they don't obey, say I. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                         Ahhhh- That explains a lot! ;-) -NT - (bionerd) - (2)
                                             Eh, you *did* see the quotation marks, I hope? :-) - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                 Yes ;-) -NT - (bionerd)
             Get a tutor. Do not try to do it yourself. - (ben_tilly)
             They should help each other, but need a pro. - (Another Scott)

Not that I'd ever eat a fish that was lured to WD-40, but hey...
207 ms