IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oh hell no, you don't believe that do you?
The problem with a lot of legislation these days is that it is vague. It seems to be written, in many cases, to invite court challenges.

And why in hell would a bunch of lawyers write legislation that causes other lawyers to have to go to court and argue?

[image|/forums/images/warning.png|0|This is sarcasm...]

That's the real flaw in the "don't let judges legislate" fan's reasoning. All law is written by lawyers in the first fucking place. Why not let the judges "legislate". Tell you what, I'd a FUCK of a lot rather let a judge - any judge from any court - selected at random legislate than leave it up to the Hasterts, DeLay's, etc. ad nauseum we have in the vaunted legislature.
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
God Bless America.
New But of course YOU would.
You are an enemy of democracy. You stated opinion is that you would rather have an 'elite' cabal rule.

As long as YOU are a member of that cabal, of course. You are an enemy of freedom.

Period.
[link|http://forfree.sytes.net|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Yes, I'd rather have Breyer making law than Souder (R) IN.
And I'd be careful, if I were you, supporting having Souder write your laws for you.
bcnu,
Mikem

God Bless America.
New You're a fan of Roy Moore then?
...rather let a judge - any judge from any court - selected at random legislate than leave it up to the Hasterts, DeLay's, etc. ad nauseum we have in the vaunted legislature.

[link|http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/alabam14.htm|Roy Moore], and our [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=114884|earlier discussion]. I'd much rather have DeLay have the limited power he does than have Roy Moore sitting on a state Supreme Court deciding what the law means.

Hastert, DeLay, etc., can be voted out of office. Alabama Supreme Court justices are also elected (to 6 year terms it looks like), so Moore could have been voted out, but he was was [link|http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/11/13/moore.tencommandments/|removed from office]. But Federal Supreme Court, Appellate Court and District Court judges serve for [link|http://www.uscourts.gov/faq.html|life] and can only be removed by impeachment.

Courts have a lot of power vested in a judge. It's really not a good idea for them to take over functions of the legislature. Yes, quite often the law lags behind society and sometimes creative interpretations are needed. But those should be very rare decisions, IMHO.

And your argument doesn't make much sense as presented:

1) Lawyers are in the legislature.
2) The legislature writes the laws.
3) Judges are lawyers.
Therefore judges should be able to write laws?

That doesn't make sense because high-ranking federal judges are supposed to be independent of the pressures of elections, political pressure, etc., and are supposed rule on the law impartially. Even elected judges are supposed to be impartial. Politics by its very nature is an endeavor filled with partiality. The legislature and judiciary are designed to be different and shouldn't usurp each others roles.

Cheers,
Scott.
New It all depends.
Most of the law written by legistlatures (State or the HOR) is poorly written and vague to the point of almost incomprehensibility. Legislatures are comprised chiefly of attorneys. Even in the case where a particular representative is not an attorney, he has on staff attorneys who read the bills and summarize them for the representative. It is from this basis that the representative votes up or down on the bill. The point I was trying to make is that attorneys write the legislation, even if you let the legislature write it. And I don't see the advantage of having one set of lawyers write laws over another set. Moreover, I'd argue that the lawyers that finally make it to "judge" are better legal minds than the attorneys advising legislaters.
bcnu,
Mikem

God Bless America.
     I Call Fscking B.S. - (mmoffitt) - (69)
         I'm not a literalist - (ben_tilly) - (37)
             Hey hoser, you forget which forum you're in, eh? - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 *chuckle* - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     We can all chip in for this... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Ya know. - (mmoffitt)
             Feh. - (mmoffitt) - (32)
                 You're wrong about Scalia - (ben_tilly) - (31)
                     Wrong on so many levels. - (mmoffitt) - (30)
                         But they are NOT legislators, as defined. - (bepatient) - (1)
                             Huh? - (mmoffitt)
                         Yes, you are indeed - (ben_tilly) - (27)
                             Judges can be impeached and removed. It's rare though. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Edited for clarity. - (mmoffitt) - (25)
                                 You're talking past each other. - (admin) - (24)
                                     Oh, I understood what Mike said perfectly well - (ben_tilly) - (23)
                                         I was being tactful... - (admin) - (7)
                                             flees of 1000 camels and all that -NT - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                 "Flees" or "Fleas"? - (jb4) - (5)
                                                     Oooh. Spelling flame. That's a good one. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                     Yabut... - (admin) - (3)
                                                         Ouch - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                             I*DON'T*CLRPD - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                 Yes, I've done^H^H^H^Hseen many attempts. -NT - (folkert)
                                         Hey, if you can't be loose w/an argument here, - (mmoffitt) - (14)
                                             You mean you're claiming a right to idiocy? - (ben_tilly) - (13)
                                                 Have you read any lower court opinions lately? - (drewk) - (3)
                                                     I've liked the SCO opinions so far :-) - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                         How about this one - (drewk) - (1)
                                                             Point but... - (ben_tilly)
                                                 what do you call the lawyer that graduates in the bottom of - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     Same deal with physicians. And that's DEADLY. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                 Well, what can I say? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                     My point was pretty simple - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                         Civility has returned - at last. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                             I unexpectedly reached my first condition for stopping - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                 :-) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                     The job of legislation was reserved for - (Arkadiy)
                                                 On point 1, I meant in "Flame" not in general. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Formula is still good - (tuberculosis)
         Well now - (bepatient) - (28)
             Because obviously - (ben_tilly) - (27)
                 Obvious to some - (bepatient) - (26)
                     I didn't think you could defend your position. Thanks. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (25)
                         Defend against what? - (bepatient) - (24)
                             The position that you said you had. - (mmoffitt) - (23)
                                 You may want to re-read the thread then. - (bepatient) - (22)
                                     Will you quit baiting me, I'm compulsive. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                         chuckle - (bepatient)
                                     Re: You may want to re-read the [code] then. - (Ashton) - (19)
                                         And that 'code word' was? - (imric) - (18)
                                             ICLRPD :-) (new thread) - (bepatient)
                                             I do so love stories from True Believers in 'theories'. - (Ashton) - (16)
                                                 Since you are 'chickening' out from this thread - (imric) - (11)
                                                     He's got a point. As do you. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                                         Oh hell no, you don't believe that do you? - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                             But of course YOU would. - (imric) - (1)
                                                                 Yes, I'd rather have Breyer making law than Souder (R) IN. - (mmoffitt)
                                                             You're a fan of Roy Moore then? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                 It all depends. - (mmoffitt)
                                                         Very good post, you fucking moron... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                             That's a problem with this forum. (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                                                     Received with appropriate satisfiction.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                         I get it now - (bepatient)
                                                         Bah. You are an idiot. - (imric)
                                                 My goodness, Ashey, stop pussy footing around... - (danreck) - (3)
                                                     Fucking Reillusionment. What a concept - - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                         Waiting for Daylight... - (screamer) - (1)
                                                             Hey.. I know_____Who. Knows. - (Ashton)
         YOU ARE ALL FUCKING IDIOTS AND ME > YOU (new thread) - (pwhysall)

Religion.
116 ms