IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "You Have to be Carefully Taught
to Hate" is my response to 'nature-or-nurture' as it was Rodgers', Hammerstein's in South Pacific. Author of this remembrance lost:
> When I was little, my parents listened to a lot of music (consequently, so did I). One song from the musical "South Pacific" for some reason always struck a chord with me - no pun intended. In the musical, Lt. Cable, who falls in love with a native girl on the island and is forced to confront the fact that he is himself prejudiced, sings a song about just that. It's called

> "You've Got to be Carefully Taught".
>
> You've got to be taught to hate and fear
> You've got to be taught from year to year
> It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear.
> You've got to be carefully taught.
>
> You've got to be taught to be afraid
> Of people whose eyes are oddly made
> and people whose skin is a different shade
>
> You've got to be taught
> before it's too late
> before you are six or seven or eight
> To hate all the people your relatives hate
>
> South Pacific was released as a movie in 1958. Haven't we learned anything since then?
Rhetorical question, that; it is now affirmed that, the only thing we learn from history is that we do not learn from history.
Author probably Googleable.

[BTW - R & H made it a contract condition; if you wanted to do a production of South Pacific, you could not omit this song.]

Inculcation of Children.

This is the means and it is the means of every religion. 'Causality' is a cute concept, rarely discoverable re homo-saps, but handy in physics.. if you don't try to cover more than about two bodies at a time.

Childhood inculcation is the regular means of corrupting the innocent with Corporate Religio-speak - as if it were unthinkable to live without the local flavor of assorted and selected tenets, almost every one of which collection begins (or ends) with a form of,

Our Clan is Superior because We Believe ___.

The message that it is somehow 'normal' to hate The Other Who is Not Me/Mine is drilled into an impressionable mind; often in direct words, augmented by an observation of 'adult' actual behavior. Nobody has said it more concisely than Rogers and Hammerstein IMO, and in most-contemporary argot.

The next stage of tedious argument must enter into the archetypes and hoary formulations of Jungian or {ugh} pop 'psych', and on towards the metaphysical. I rest case prior to that drudgery.

I Who Be

The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.
-- Georgia Harkness in "Conflicts in Religious Thought" (1929) via Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
-- Blaise Pascal also via Alex

276. FALWELL'S ARGUMENT FROM METEORS

1) God hates gay people.
2) God is merciful.
3) Disney World held a Gay Day parade.
4) God could have punished them by sending earthquakes, hurricanes, or possibly a meteor down on Florida.
5) He didn't.
6) Therefore, (1) and (2) are correct.
7) Therefore, God exists.

289. ARGUMENT FROM COMMUNISM

1) All communists are atheists.
2) All communists are bad.
3) Therefore they are wrong.
4) The moral majority is are theists and non-communists.
5) Therefore they are good.
6) Therefore they are right.
7) This argument does so make sense!
8) Therefore, God exists.

309. ARGUMENT FROM INCONSISTENCY (POLKINGHORNE'S MILLION-DOLLAR ARGUMENT)

1) If the Bible were cooked up by fakers, it would have been perfect and seamless and without any apparent inconsistencies, to make it look like the word of God.
2) But the Bible IS inconsistent, erroneous, and plain goofy in many places.
3) Therefore, the Bible is NOT the product of fakers.
4) It must be the word of God. Amen.
5) Therefore, God exists.

New For Those Too Lazy To Google
[link|http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/GodProof.htm|http://www.godlessge...INKS/GodProof.htm]

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
     Heartbreaking - (tuberculosis) - (113)
         I'm confused...--- here's the story - (Nightowl) - (1)
             Alana is a fairly common name. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         A thousand years in prison... - (pwhysall) - (109)
             I have that sense as well. - (mmoffitt) - (106)
                 It's not about religion - (imric) - (105)
                     But religion bars any reason. - (mmoffitt) - (104)
                         Could substitute "politics" for "religion" there. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Or anything else - (Nightowl)
                         "getting the lunatic to abandon what he holds most dear" - (imric) - (35)
                             Any? Perhaps. - (mmoffitt) - (34)
                                 Re: Any? Perhaps. - (Nightowl) - (9)
                                     If a Christian does not believe anyone should be condemned.. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                         There's a difference - (Nightowl)
                                     Uhhh, Owlsley... - (jb4) - (6)
                                         Let me clarify - (Nightowl) - (5)
                                             Re: Let me clarify - (jb4) - (3)
                                                 Not forgetting... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                     How could I forget...! - (jb4)
                                                 Unfortunately (new thread) - (Nightowl)
                                             On Christian churches... (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                                 You sure? - (imric) - (23)
                                     Very well stated - (Nightowl)
                                     I am condemning that which nurtures... - (mmoffitt) - (21)
                                         "History is on my side" - (imric) - (18)
                                             Alexander of Macedonia, - (Arkadiy)
                                             Religion is not the only motivation for slaughter. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                                 And, of course - (imric)
                                                 The "chosen people" do have many more - (Arkadiy)
                                             "You Have to be Carefully Taught - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                 For Those Too Lazy To Google - (pwhysall)
                                             See Jesus 'quote' in this thread re:The Civil War. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                                 See my first post, re justification. - (imric) - (10)
                                                     Well yes - that's 'true' - (Ashton) - (7)
                                                         Believe it or not, I understand and somewhat agree - (imric) - (6)
                                                             'Religion' oft has little or zippo to do with 'spirituality' - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                                 Uh huh. - (imric) - (4)
                                                                     A little more explanation please? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                         With Ash, it can be sometimes hard, - (imric) - (1)
                                                                             Trust me, I know that - (Nightowl)
                                                                     Heh.. I 'splain how ya can end war n'stuff (new thread) - (Ashton)
                                                     I see nothing wrong with that posistion - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                                                         *smile* -NT - (imric)
                                         Well, I consider that... - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                             You'd be wrong - (jake123)
                         The base of religion is faith - (Simon_Jester) - (65)
                             Counter-example to your last. - (mmoffitt) - (63)
                                 Huh? No way! - (Nightowl)
                                 What you just said is a sin - (Arkadiy) - (57)
                                     Just read the texts, man. - (mmoffitt) - (56)
                                         The Lord - (Arkadiy) - (55)
                                             Exactly - (Nightowl)
                                             The [owner] thing wasn't mine. - (mmoffitt) - (53)
                                                 None so dumb as who won't think. -NT - (Arkadiy) - (52)
                                                     Heh. - (mmoffitt) - (51)
                                                         That's evidence? - (imric)
                                                         What third parties? - (Arkadiy) - (49)
                                                             Interpretation? You're interpretting ferchrissakes. - (mmoffitt) - (48)
                                                                 Not even close - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                                                     <sigh> - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                                         Not sure - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                                             The nut. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                                 Ah ok - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                                     NO! - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                         Same thing - (Nightowl)
                                                                 No kudos to you for repeating - (imric) - (8)
                                                                     Huh? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                                         Go ahead - change your point - (imric) - (6)
                                                                             Yes! - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                                 *chuckle* - (imric) - (1)
                                                                                     True, but - (Nightowl)
                                                                             Hey, that's *graduate* philosophies ;-) - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                 Is it? - (imric) - (1)
                                                                                     Re: Is it? - (Nightowl)
                                                                 Ego is Id - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                                                     I'm not sure about a non-theist, because I'm not one. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                         So which passage says that we should commit violence? - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                                             Wow, great response! - (Nightowl)
                                                                 I guess it all depends on what's - (Arkadiy) - (27)
                                                                     I could be wrong about this, but I think "case" - (mmoffitt) - (26)
                                                                         It's a parable - (Arkadiy) - (25)
                                                                             Re: It's a parable - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                                                                 "New Covenant" hmmmmmmm..... - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                     Ooops -- ignore.. moving to religion as requested - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                                                         I have no idea what you're talking about (new thread) - (Nightowl)
                                                                             The "unbelievers" are a class. - (mmoffitt) - (20)
                                                                                 How is that clear? - (Nightowl)
                                                                                 Oh my. A class. - (Arkadiy) - (18)
                                                                                     Psssst! Don't tell Bryce..... -NT - (jb4) - (12)
                                                                                         Remember, the meek shall inherit the earth... -NT - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                                                                             And what did poor bastards do to deserver such fate? -NT - (Arkadiy)
                                                                                             6' deep 6' long and 4' wide -NT - (boxley) - (8)
                                                                                                 4' wide?????? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                                                     take a measuring tape to your next funeral 4' wide -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                         Was just at a wake (new thread) - (Nightowl)
                                                                                                 And it's Christian thing to share... - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                                                                                                     Okay, that's it - (jake123) - (3)
                                                                                                         Well, we tried earlier - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                                                             YOU ALL SUCK - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Oddly enough, I got it (new thread) - (orion)
                                                                                             Since when was Bryce meek? -NT - (jb4)
                                                                                     Almost, but not quite. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                                                         Read it carefully - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                                                                             You made my point. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                                 Ashton mode on - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                                                                     I like [referent] mode better. - (Ashton)
                                 Re: Counter-example to your last. - (Simon_Jester)
                                 No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition! - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Thanks! I was waiting for that ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                 And who commissioned that Inquisition? Church or state? -NT - (FuManChu)
                             Been there. Done that. - (Ashton)
             Electicity is quicker and cheaper! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 You got you a mean streak in ya.... -NT - (jb4)
         One note (images included) - (jake123)

You will be boiled in vegetable oil and packaged for housecats.
103 ms