IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What's wrong with Pyrex?
Nothing beats glass for ease of cleaning, because you can scour the hell out of it without scratching it.
-drl
New Re: What's wrong with Pyrex?
Every piece of Pyrex ovenware says clearly on the label, "not for use on open flame". The temperature stresses are far too great and it'll crack, possibly explode dangerously. It also can't take the physical beating frying pans get.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I've got some Pyrex pots and skillets.
I don't think they're made any more. Stuff like [link|http://www.cyberattic.com/stores/JAKGUY/items/261934/item261934cyberattic.html|this].

It's nice for some things (e.g. steaming veggies), but doesn't heat as evenly as metal pans. It's not good for heating spaghetti sauce.... It's great for the microwave though. :-)

Cleaning is easy even when stuff is burned on. Just pour in some bleach and heat it up for a few minutes - watch the fumes though. Scouring isn't a good idea because it does scratch and then loses some of its easy cleaning properties.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: What's wrong with Pyrex?
I've been using a Pyrex skillet for a long time. Just don't get it really hot and plunge it into cold water. It's like lab glassware, just be sensible. Those warnings have to be legal matters.
-drl
New The kitchen isn't a lab - it's a production facility.
There's a lot going on at once, and if something is getting too hot, you have to be able to toss in the next round of ingredients right now to bring it down. Stuff gets banged around a lot and sometimes there's accidents. It's no place for gear with "special needs", so I'll save glass for the coffee maker at breakfast.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     Enameled Iron isn't forever - (Andrew Grygus) - (24)
         I've been happy with some stuff from Target. - (Another Scott) - (11)
             Aluminum conducts heat well . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
                 We have a 3.5qt Calphalon anodized Windsor - (admin)
                 dupe, sorry -NT - (Arkadiy)
                 Why doesn't somebody put cast iron on top of aluminium? - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                     Cast Iron is generally thick enough . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         I was thinking "weight" - (Arkadiy)
                 What's wrong with Pyrex? - (deSitter) - (4)
                     Re: What's wrong with Pyrex? - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                         I've got some Pyrex pots and skillets. - (Another Scott)
                         Re: What's wrong with Pyrex? - (deSitter) - (1)
                             The kitchen isn't a lab - it's a production facility. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Re: multi-ply stainless - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             ATTN: Alex Re: "Seal-O-Matic" waterless cookware - (twosnugglebugs) - (2)
                 welcome and post often -NT - (boxley)
                 Do you know anything about that? - (a6l6e6x)
         Nothing beats a well-seasoned carbon steel wok - (pwhysall) - (4)
             Hallelujah! Preach it, brother! -NT - (FuManChu)
             Woks are a religion . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Sink? - (pwhysall)
                 Wok Update - (Andrew Grygus)
         prefer cast iron cookware for even heat distribution - (boxley) - (2)
             Cast Iron is great for frying, no economical substitute . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Simmering goes into the preassure cooker, without the top on - (boxley)

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!
113 ms