IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: multi-ply stainless
My wife and I have had and continue to use a "Seal-O-Matic" "waterless" cookware set since 1961. My mother-in-law gave to us as a wedding gift. The waterless part is a bit bogus because you do use water, just less of it. The pan covers seal a pan so that steam does much of the cooking. If I remember the original construction details, it's iron covered by a thin layer of stainless steel. The only damage to the cookware that I recall is my wife singeing the bakelite handle, flame guard notwithstanding, of one of the pots on a gas stove. That was in the early years with toddlers about. We got a replacement for that handle and still have an extra "just in case".

Apparently Regal Ware had the "Seal-O-Matic" brand at least in recent years but has [link|http://www.seal-o-maticcookware.com/|retired it].

[link|http://www.vitacraft.com/5ply.htm|Something vaguely similar] but with an aluminum core.

Anyway, the multi-ply stainless has worked well here.
Alex

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom ... the argument of tyrants ... the creed of slaves. -- William Pitt, addressing the British House of Commons (1783)
New ATTN: Alex Re: "Seal-O-Matic" waterless cookware
Wednesday - May 31, 2006:
Hello Alex, I just had to reply, since I purchased my "Seal-O-Matic" waterless, stainless steel, pots and pans in June of 1962. Like you and your wife, we are still using our cookware and it looks almost as good as the day I bought them! Your Mother-in-Law gave you an exceptional wedding gift! The whole set in 1962, when I purchased it, was over $264.00 which was a small fortune in that era; I was still a teenager. However, the sales lady convinced me that Americans would die from bacteria if I didn't have the "Seal-O-Matic" cookware to use! She even gave me a "free" set of steak knives as my gift and I, in turn, referred her to another couple who also purchased a complete set. America has been healthier for almost 44 years because of that cookware (ha ha). There is none comparable! In checking on google, I read that "Seal-O-Matic" may have been purchased by the "Treasure Chest Company". Do you know anything about that? I'm interested in all info you can provide regarding the real "Seal-O-Matic" cookware which is a registered trademark. Thank you.
Judy
New welcome and post often
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Do you know anything about that?
No more than can possibly be Googled.

And, welcome to the group!
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
     Enameled Iron isn't forever - (Andrew Grygus) - (24)
         I've been happy with some stuff from Target. - (Another Scott) - (11)
             Aluminum conducts heat well . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
                 We have a 3.5qt Calphalon anodized Windsor - (admin)
                 dupe, sorry -NT - (Arkadiy)
                 Why doesn't somebody put cast iron on top of aluminium? - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                     Cast Iron is generally thick enough . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         I was thinking "weight" - (Arkadiy)
                 What's wrong with Pyrex? - (deSitter) - (4)
                     Re: What's wrong with Pyrex? - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                         I've got some Pyrex pots and skillets. - (Another Scott)
                         Re: What's wrong with Pyrex? - (deSitter) - (1)
                             The kitchen isn't a lab - it's a production facility. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Re: multi-ply stainless - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             ATTN: Alex Re: "Seal-O-Matic" waterless cookware - (twosnugglebugs) - (2)
                 welcome and post often -NT - (boxley)
                 Do you know anything about that? - (a6l6e6x)
         Nothing beats a well-seasoned carbon steel wok - (pwhysall) - (4)
             Hallelujah! Preach it, brother! -NT - (FuManChu)
             Woks are a religion . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Sink? - (pwhysall)
                 Wok Update - (Andrew Grygus)
         prefer cast iron cookware for even heat distribution - (boxley) - (2)
             Cast Iron is great for frying, no economical substitute . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Simmering goes into the preassure cooker, without the top on - (boxley)

This must be true. They made a bumper sticker.
86 ms