IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Aluminum conducts heat well . .
. . and is definitely the low cost way to go, but I cook a lot of very acid things and don't trust coatings - they tend to get penetrated sooner rather than later. Acid and aluminum mix a little too well. For fried stuff, or where it gets well coated with oil and for neutral ph cooking it should be fine.

I saw a note somewhere that aluminum is no longer a prime suspect in Alzheimer's, but too much aluminum in the diet probably still isn't good.

That glass lid is an attractive feature and I've been eyeing some Calphalon stuff in laminate, but haven't seen just the sizes and shapes I need. I'm not about to buy expensive stuff I don't really need.

My single most important cookware item is a deep 10" covered plain cast iron skillet and it works great (and will last for centuries).
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New We have a 3.5qt Calphalon anodized Windsor
Great pan, nice and thick, but the tomato sauces have already taken the anodized finish off the bottom.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New dupe, sorry
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
Expand Edited by Arkadiy March 22, 2004, 06:39:53 PM EST
New Why doesn't somebody put cast iron on top of aluminium?
Thermal expansion, I guess. That would be an ideal skillet.
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

New Cast Iron is generally thick enough . .
. . to provide good enough heat transfer by itself, so there's no real need to face the manufacturing problems. Sheet metals can be hot rolled or pressed together in the forming die, aluminum would have to be cast over the cast iron, a tricky and expensive procedure.

Laminate is much more necessary when you are dealing with thinner material, as with stainless which is generally thin and isn't a good heat conductor.
New I was thinking "weight"
My mom is very fond of her cast iron pans (skillets?) but it's getting too heavy for her to handle.
--

New What's wrong with Pyrex?
Nothing beats glass for ease of cleaning, because you can scour the hell out of it without scratching it.
-drl
New Re: What's wrong with Pyrex?
Every piece of Pyrex ovenware says clearly on the label, "not for use on open flame". The temperature stresses are far too great and it'll crack, possibly explode dangerously. It also can't take the physical beating frying pans get.
New I've got some Pyrex pots and skillets.
I don't think they're made any more. Stuff like [link|http://www.cyberattic.com/stores/JAKGUY/items/261934/item261934cyberattic.html|this].

It's nice for some things (e.g. steaming veggies), but doesn't heat as evenly as metal pans. It's not good for heating spaghetti sauce.... It's great for the microwave though. :-)

Cleaning is easy even when stuff is burned on. Just pour in some bleach and heat it up for a few minutes - watch the fumes though. Scouring isn't a good idea because it does scratch and then loses some of its easy cleaning properties.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: What's wrong with Pyrex?
I've been using a Pyrex skillet for a long time. Just don't get it really hot and plunge it into cold water. It's like lab glassware, just be sensible. Those warnings have to be legal matters.
-drl
New The kitchen isn't a lab - it's a production facility.
There's a lot going on at once, and if something is getting too hot, you have to be able to toss in the next round of ingredients right now to bring it down. Stuff gets banged around a lot and sometimes there's accidents. It's no place for gear with "special needs", so I'll save glass for the coffee maker at breakfast.
     Enameled Iron isn't forever - (Andrew Grygus) - (24)
         I've been happy with some stuff from Target. - (Another Scott) - (11)
             Aluminum conducts heat well . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
                 We have a 3.5qt Calphalon anodized Windsor - (admin)
                 dupe, sorry -NT - (Arkadiy)
                 Why doesn't somebody put cast iron on top of aluminium? - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                     Cast Iron is generally thick enough . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         I was thinking "weight" - (Arkadiy)
                 What's wrong with Pyrex? - (deSitter) - (4)
                     Re: What's wrong with Pyrex? - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                         I've got some Pyrex pots and skillets. - (Another Scott)
                         Re: What's wrong with Pyrex? - (deSitter) - (1)
                             The kitchen isn't a lab - it's a production facility. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Re: multi-ply stainless - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             ATTN: Alex Re: "Seal-O-Matic" waterless cookware - (twosnugglebugs) - (2)
                 welcome and post often -NT - (boxley)
                 Do you know anything about that? - (a6l6e6x)
         Nothing beats a well-seasoned carbon steel wok - (pwhysall) - (4)
             Hallelujah! Preach it, brother! -NT - (FuManChu)
             Woks are a religion . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Sink? - (pwhysall)
                 Wok Update - (Andrew Grygus)
         prefer cast iron cookware for even heat distribution - (boxley) - (2)
             Cast Iron is great for frying, no economical substitute . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Simmering goes into the preassure cooker, without the top on - (boxley)

I’d love to have either one win and then lose in a recount. Nice set-up for a faction fight.
137 ms