IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New They asked for it? How? by being the wrong color?
All of them, Everywhere. Right, Ross?

Nuke'em all. After all, they had the gall to have the skin color of our latest enemies. That about it?

Am beginning to understand your reverence for the Old South.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New Nope - by being from the wrong part of Earth
..where ongoing and congenital insanity over non-issues like who is Chosen and who is Righteous, has created an unlivable situation from them, which they attempt to export to us.

In a way, it's fortunate that they are so easily identified. Profiling Bubba would be orders of magnitude harder.
-drl
New Are you reading as you're typing?
"They" should be treated differently because "They" come from races not as pure as ours. See, they asked for it.

You cannot tell me the above couple of sentences are much removed from your expressed view.

bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New Re: Are you reading as you're typing?
I wish they had 7 eyes so they'd be easier to spot. Or they were all blanched-white redheads from the north of Ireland. This has nothing to do with what race is better (an idiotic question) - it has to do with spotting possible bad people from bad lands. You can't have TLC security. And I'm sick of being searched at random because some fools across the world can't get their minds right.
-drl
New Civilization and life
3000 dead - hell, even if it's once a year - is a pittance to pay for being the kind of country we used to try to be. Even if one of those 3000 is me.

The great Republic or Federation cost quite a bit more than 3000 lives to build. I'm downright embarrased - not before the French or anybody, before God and myself and the lunatics who designed the Republic or Federation in the first place - to be a 21st Century American, ready to surrender it all because we are scared of two-bit terrorists. Oooh, we aren't immune from attack. Anybody who's been off this continent - or on the parts where English isn't spoken much - for more than two weeks at a stretch knew that all along.

We have no guts anymore. Can't risk our own lives for anything important. Can't risk feeling pain or fear or guilt or lack of closure.

Whining about a couple of dead soldiers per day. Home of the brave my ass. One soldier with a stubbed toe for this particular farce is too many, but if it were a war worth fighting, it would be a war worth dying in. Can't deal with our people dying? Don't get into wars.

----
Sometime you the windshield, sometime you the bug, sometime you the driver and you turn on the windshield washer and keep going.
New It does come down to that, doesn't it.
No guts, no historical perspective - no Aims: except personal and Corporate cupidity. No 'Gods' either - only the $$ and that lip-service on Sundays - mainly preying: "Dear Father: Please Let Us Win, Like Always." (But if 'We" can't - then Let Me Win, OK?)

Because the illiteracy is matched by innumeracy: your "3000" comparison would be doomed to incomprehension. The massive overreaction fits the overall pattern of dumbth. No?

What % of the US population could calculate the "percentage" which 3K might be: of 280,000,000 - and get the decimal point within an order of magnitude? OK - TWO orders of magnitude? (What % would know what "an order of magnitude" is?) Are we already Kornbluth's Marching Morons - it seems we're a nuke's-throw away from complete disconnect with humankind. Contrast 'US' with the Brits in the Underground stations during the Blitz. bin-L appears to know our national character to a T.

Amazing the mind's access to everything ever seen, read, experienced - all 'plots' - real and imagined. Beats the shit outta digital- funnel- bubble- or Bubba- 'sorts'! My re-collection tells me:

The US vox populi is seen now by all: to have abandoned even the usual pretense (for display) of all that civics stuff and especially - all that Principle stuff. Has just sat mute, masturbating on consumption (and obsessed only with "raising That back up, higher") - while barely noticing, as a tiny bunch of Neoconmen reversed as much civilization as took 200 yrs. for us to lurch towards (all the while finding it Rilly Hard to kick the formal-slavery habit: now we do it by proxy and digital banking.)
We managed all this in a bit over 900 days!

We are now operating from a very old agenda; one quite familiar to me from my Gramma's time, and from a mindset indistinguishable from her xenophobic hatred, jingoistic Know-nothingism - and the ever-present sanctimony of the religio-bigot. And it's hanging out there as never before, for all to see. I think they have seen, were there any doubts about "whether or not we've Really gone Loony".

The evidence is now indelible: of what Murica is capable of, and of how casually our disinterested consumers, most non-voting - will let Loonies run amok with the power of all those $$ skimmed from across the planet, especially since WW-II. Shrub has officially ordered the New Nukes (with expected minimal mention in the Corp meeja, then or since. I know - I regularly look for refs. It's a dead 'issue' - despite the truly ominous implications to anyone with a third of a working brain.)

Some of this may be reversible, depending on the dice throw of next few months. Decades to atone for the rest? but nobody will ever forget our pewling panic and the massive hypocrisy - even at home. I doubt anyone will have failed to notice too, that the Americans they may have met travelling, in the past: are not running the place. They now have an idea who Is. (Even if many of us haven't noticed even that - yet.)

Maybe we'll squeak through, house-clean in the nick of time? Crap shoot.

Condolences,

Ashton
New Re: no historical perspective
Only last night, talked about this with my brother. He was in the US Air Force stationed in Korea in 1962. He had visited [link|http://www.gluckman.com/NKBorder.html|"peace village"] at Panmunjom, North Korea three times. His fellow airmen were surprised to learn from him that there had been a war there less than 10 years prior. It's not just "how soon they forget", it's "they never had a fricken idea".

The 50th anniversary of the armistice has just been celebrated.
Alex

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -- George Bernard Shaw
New People who think 2 lives per day is too many
happen to also think this war was not worth fighting. Not the way it was fought, anyway.
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
     Man kicked off plane for political button - (lincoln) - (182)
         I take it that this is like - (orion) - (50)
             Doesn't sound like it to me, though... -NT - (imric)
             You. Would. -NT - (Ashton) - (48)
                 Re: You. Would. - (rcareaga) - (47)
                     that noise represents 70+% of Amerikan voters :( -NT - (boxley) - (7)
                         OK then.. what % of the plurality: the non-voters? -NT - (Ashton) - (6)
                             even larger :( - (boxley) - (5)
                                 I see only one solution, then. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                     No, Je refuse!!! we are responsable for our fellow man - (boxley)
                                     How ironic. - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                         Heh.. My Father has many liquids___er 'solutions' :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                                 Re: even larger :( - (Nightowl)
                     I confess that I vacillate on that one - (Ashton)
                     I have a friend - (FuManChu)
                     Re: You. Would. - (Nightowl) - (36)
                         Listen to yourself - (rcareaga) - (35)
                             Re: Listen to yourself - (Nightowl) - (34)
                                 Re: Listen to yourself - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Re: Listen to yourself - (Nightowl)
                                 Re: Listen to yourself - (rcareaga) - (31)
                                     I am not going away - (orion) - (30)
                                         Re: I am not going away - (Nightowl) - (29)
                                             Exactly - (orion) - (28)
                                                 Red Flag? - (pwhysall) - (27)
                                                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (folkert)
                                                     Must be the "Purloined Letter" theory of covert ops... -NT - (admin) - (25)
                                                         or cf the movie, "Charade" - for the non-reader. -NT - (Ashton) - (24)
                                                             Re: the movie, "Charade" - (rcareaga) - (19)
                                                                 Oh me oh my... - (folkert) - (2)
                                                                     Re: Oh me oh my... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                                         Well Kate was the poster child for Zappa's Dynamo Hum - (boxley)
                                                                 Good story. He was right! -NT - (deSitter) - (15)
                                                                     Re: Good story. He was right! - (rcareaga) - (14)
                                                                         Re: Good story. He was right! - (deSitter) - (13)
                                                                             Well.. about Audrey I could tell you. - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                                                 Re: Well.. about Audrey I could tell you. - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                                                     Audrey? *Bitchy*? - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                                                                         Re: Audrey? *Bitchy*? - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                                                             Re: Audrey? *Bitchy*? - (deSitter)
                                                                                 My brother, a movie addict, named one daughter Katharine. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                                             Philadelphia story was a damn good movie AND play. - (admin)
                                                                             Geez! Where to begin? - (rcareaga) - (5)
                                                                                 PS re the Other Hepburn - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                                                     Re: PS re the Other Hepburn - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                                                                         BTW - Audrey's US postage stamps are out! - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                             Re: BTW - Audrey's US postage stamps are out! - (Nightowl)
                                                                                 34 for me... - (admin)
                                                             Ok, that's the tangent limit people - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                 Oh.. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                     Oh..______Kay..______then -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                 Belings in Politics, Man Ejected Off Plane for Button (new thread) - (orion)
         Wondering if pilots, aircrews are selected for general - (Ashton) - (31)
             Re: Wondering if pilots, aircrews are selected for general - (deSitter) - (28)
                 Contentious LRPD: "That's what Brian Boitano'd do!" -NT - (Ashton)
                 At which point, - (jb4) - (26)
                     At a guess - (hnick) - (25)
                         Well, Hugh - that is indeed the pragmatic approach. - (Ashton) - (2)
                             Seems sort of boolean to come from you - (hnick) - (1)
                                 OW!___rilly know how to Hurt a Guy :( - (Ashton)
                         Re: At a guess - (deSitter) - (16)
                             Please tell me that's just flame bait. - (mmoffitt) - (15)
                                 Re: Please tell me that's just flame bait. - (deSitter) - (14)
                                     Huh, didn't know that Timothy McVeigh looked Semitic... -NT - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                                         He doesn't! - (deSitter) - (3)
                                             Well, that's the problem. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                                 Re: Well, that's the problem. - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                     Re: Well, that's the problem. - (deSitter)
                                         Re: Huh, didn't know that Timothy McVeigh looked Semitic... - (Nightowl)
                                     They asked for it? How? by being the wrong color? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                         Nope - by being from the wrong part of Earth - (deSitter) - (6)
                                             Are you reading as you're typing? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                 Re: Are you reading as you're typing? - (deSitter)
                                             Civilization and life - (mhuber) - (3)
                                                 It does come down to that, doesn't it. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                     Re: no historical perspective - (a6l6e6x)
                                                 People who think 2 lives per day is too many - (Arkadiy)
                         Hugh, the asshole in this thing was the PILOT - (jb4) - (4)
                             Utterly wrong - (deSitter) - (3)
                                 Brains, common sense are always useful. -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     Absolutely - might also be a firing offense though - (hnick)
                                     And, increasingly, conspicuous by their absence! -NT - (jb4)
             Most commercial pilots are former military - (jb4) - (1)
                 Explanation tested: found complete. Danke. -NT - (Ashton)
         Am sympathetic, but there is a flaw. - (mmoffitt)
         Oh come on. - (Silverlock) - (94)
             OK - how about '?W' buttons then.. or 'Impeach Bush' ? -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Acting obtuse? - (Silverlock) - (1)
                     It's like crazy Aunt Martha - (Ashton)
             Huh? - (broomberg) - (7)
                 You equating this with discrimination? - (Silverlock) - (3)
                     Re: You equating this with discrimination? - (jb4) - (2)
                         All riiiighty then. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                             One's lack of imagination is not criminal... - (jb4)
                 In Joisey, (where else) two dreadlocked fellers - (boxley) - (2)
                     ..and pull your pants up! -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                         .. and cut off that sissy ponytail - might conceal Stuff -NT - (Ashton)
             I thought you supported the Dixie Chicks? - (SpiceWare) - (79)
                 Yeah, me too - but then - (Ashton)
                 Huh? - (Silverlock) - (77)
                     Re: Huh? - (SpiceWare) - (76)
                         You quote yourself - (Silverlock) - (75)
                             I refer to an article - (SpiceWare) - (74)
                                 One more time. - (Silverlock) - (73)
                                     Re: One more time. - (Nightowl) - (46)
                                         No, no and no - (drewk) - (32)
                                             Re: No, no and no - (Nightowl) - (31)
                                                 do you moo when you go to the airport? - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     Re: do you moo when you go to the airport? - (Nightowl)
                                                 I also haven't been trampled by any elephants since 9/11 - (drewk) - (8)
                                                     ROFL! -NT - (jb4)
                                                     Re: I also haven't been trampled by any elephants since 9/11 - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                                         Why are you afraid of crashing Airplanes? - (boxley) - (5)
                                                             Re: Why are you afraid of crashing Airplanes? - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                                 Boxish to English translation. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                     Re: Boxish to English translation. - (Nightowl)
                                                                 Well do you cower in fear that cars, and cows crash into - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                     Re: Well do you cower in fear that cars, and cows crash into - (Nightowl)
                                                 You have an interesting sense of history - (jb4) - (18)
                                                     Re: You have an interesting sense of history - (Nightowl) - (17)
                                                         Out of the mouths of - - (Ashton) - (16)
                                                             Re: Out of the mouths of - - (Nightowl) - (15)
                                                                 Two words re safe sheep____lamb chops -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                     Re: Two words re safe sheep____lamb chops - (Nightowl)
                                                                 Dear God... - (rcareaga) - (5)
                                                                     Re: Dear God... - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                                         Re: Dear God... - (rcareaga)
                                                                     Re: Dear God... - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                         nightowl wonders - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                                             Re: nightowl wonders - (Nightowl)
                                                                 NO... what I meant was... - (jb4) - (6)
                                                                     Re: NO... what I meant was... - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                         AHAH! an almost tenured professor - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                             Re: AHAH! an almost tenured professor - (Nightowl)
                                                                     Retirement package still includes mint jelly... -NT - (hnick) - (2)
                                                                         **chuckle** -NT - (jb4)
                                                                         Oh You Kid..!______(speak goatish?) 23 Skiddoo -NT - (Ashton)
                                                 What I know - (tuberculosis)
                                         Or, perhaps, one less time - (jb4)
                                         Please.. - (Ashton) - (7)
                                             Re: Please.. - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                                 Point == missed. - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                                                     Re: Point == missed. - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                         Technology? - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                             Re: Technology? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                 Well, that clears it up. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                     Re: Well, that clears it up. - (Nightowl)
                                         Re: One more time. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                             Right. On. - (rcareaga)
                                             Thanks, Peter. - (Ashton)
                                         Dead fish get through the line faster -NT - (mhuber)
                                     button wasn't created for the article. - (SpiceWare) - (25)
                                         Sigh - (Silverlock) - (24)
                                             why the distinction? - (SpiceWare) - (23)
                                                 Good question - (Silverlock) - (22)
                                                     Good question, but the *wrong* one IMO - (drewk) - (21)
                                                         Ept-LRPD: "Safety is our first concern! Actually, meat - (Ashton)
                                                         Couldn't let this go by - (broomberg) - (16)
                                                             See, e.g., 87073. - (Another Scott) - (15)
                                                                 Thanks for finding the link - (drewk) - (9)
                                                                     So then.. what about Government Subsidized biznesses? - (Ashton) - (8)
                                                                         Good point - (drewk) - (7)
                                                                             Private water company - (broomberg) - (6)
                                                                                 Two answers - (drewk) - (5)
                                                                                     Why? - (broomberg) - (2)
                                                                                         Hey you can swim last time I checked - (boxley)
                                                                                         How can "company towns" exist? - (drewk)
                                                                                     Veolia (nee Vivendi) and Suez are 2 of the biggest. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                         Re: Veolia (nee Vivendi) and Suez are 2 of the biggest. - (Ashton)
                                                                 Medical? - (broomberg) - (4)
                                                                     Turn it around - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                         I'm merely exploring your "harm" limitation - (broomberg) - (2)
                                                                             Not allowed to buy my product != harm - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                                 Untrue - Answer Y/N on water company above - (broomberg)
                                                         I'm not a pilot - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                             Cool, but ... - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                 Here ya go - (Silverlock)
             Agree that the subject title could have been better -NT - (lincoln) - (2)
                 Hmmm. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                     {cackle} -NT - (Ashton)
         Haha! - (pwhysall)
         Didn't EXACTLY happen to me. -NT - (mhuber)
         Didn't EXACTLY happen to me. - (mhuber)

Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!
208 ms