IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You have an interesting sense of history
All I know is that we haven't had another hijacking, or another plane flown into a major US building since 9/11/01, and that tells me they must be doing something right.

Hoo-fuckin-ray, no hijacking in about one-and-a-half-years in the US. Of course, we didn't have a hijacking in the US for at least that long in the US before 11Sep01 (I don't have the exact numbers, but I'm sure the collective memory of the LRPD can come up with the exact facts with several links to back it up...its a wonderful toy!).

So what's yer point? That sheep prevent hijackings?
jb4
The difference between Confidence and Ego is that Confidence has respect, while Ego does not.
Candyce Burns (my wife)
New Re: You have an interesting sense of history
Hoo-fuckin-ray, no hijacking in about one-and-a-half-years in the US. Of course, we didn't have a hijacking in the US for at least that long in the US before 11Sep01 (I don't have the exact numbers, but I'm sure the collective memory of the LRPD can come up with the exact facts with several links to back it up...its a wonderful toy!).

So what's yer point? That sheep prevent hijackings?

No, my point is, I guess that I have seen a result. But based on my actual use of the airline industry, I probably have no true basis for deciding anything about it. Bottom line is I don't have the delays and annoyances, because I do not fly. Perhaps if I did fly, I would feel differently.

And I don't know what you mean by sheep, to be honest. But I also believe that any level of comfort that can be gained by the concept of "Someone doing something about the situation" is also based on the feelings of the person getting the comfort.

In my case, I had traumatic nightmares for months after 9/11, afraid that a plane would crash into my house. I know that was an "unreasonable" fear, but nonetheless, that is what 9/11 caused me to deal with. It took me MONTHS before I could stop listening for planes, stop watching for planes, and finally sleep comfortably. And a lot of that comfort was dervived from the measures the airlines and Homeland Security took to protect us.

Maybe it was like a placebo or something, really didn't do anything in particular, but caused me the ability to relax and believe I was safe, regardless.

Nightowl >8#

"I learned to be the door, instead of the mat!"

Comment by Nightowl
New Out of the mouths of -
Here you have succinctly summed-up the vast majority of in-place placebos constructed by this Admin:
Maybe it was like a placebo or something, really didn't do anything in particular, but caused me the ability to relax and believe I was safe
An almost brilliant comment, if I do say so - if you indeed understand the implications of what you said. And were you to take the time and attention to examine the PATRIOT Act and a few thousand other words that have entered our vocabulary since 9/11, why then.. just possibly you might find somewhere an association with the word sheep.
Maybe not.

Or to put it more simply, safety? [whatever a 'life' of perfect safety might be, in your ken] VS the appearance-of safety. More would be telling.

Ashton
New Re: Out of the mouths of -
Here you have succinctly summed-up the vast majority of in-place placebos constructed by this Admin:
Maybe it was like a placebo or something, really didn't do anything in particular, but caused me the ability to relax and believe I was safe
An almost brilliant comment, if I do say so - if you indeed understand the implications of what you said. And were you to take the time and attention to examine the PATRIOT Act and a few thousand other words that have entered our vocabulary since 9/11, why then.. just possibly you might find somewhere an association with the word sheep.

Maybe not.

Okay. I know what you mean now. You mean do I follow orders or obey the laws, and the answer is basically, yes. I'm not a person who makes waves often, although I do defend my position when I feel it is being violated or attacked.

I figure the government must know at least better than I, what should be done, when I can't even barely comprehend what all is going on politically.

So yes, in that sense, I'm a sheep and hey, sheep live long happy lives, only giving their wool on occasion, where wolves are hunted down and shot. ;)

Or to put it more simply, safety? [whatever a 'life' of perfect safety might be, in your ken] VS the appearance-of safety. More would be telling.

Okay, you're saying I should not let the appearance of saftey lull me into a false sense of security, and believe me, I don't completely do that. In fact, I am still very nervous at times regarding the events of 9/11. But it still gave me some measure of comfort to know something was being done, just like my security alarm system gives me some measure of comfort that I'm safe in my own house.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New Two words re safe sheep____lamb chops
New Re: Two words re safe sheep____lamb chops
Not always. Some are bred purely for their wool. :)

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New Dear God...
Please tell me you don't vote. That would be too depressing to contemplate.
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Re: Dear God...
Please tell me you don't vote. That would be too depressing to contemplate.

Didn't you read my post to Ashton about that very topic? :)

I rarely vote.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
I am gratified, madame, beyond my power to express this. Believe me to be

very, very cordially yours,
And furthermore, sir, why does my one single vote matter so much? My father used to tell me that all the time. I HAD TO VOTE, it was IMPERATIVE. Well, I don't get it. Millions of people vote, and no election I've ever seen that mattered was won by one ballot.

So don't worry about my vote or non-vote. Worry about the millions or thousands or whatever number of people there are that will vote the way you worry about.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New nightowl wonders
"why does my one single vote matter so much?"

Your one single vote matters hardly at all. The votes of millions of equally ill-informed enfranchised residents of this allegedly great land matter a great deal. I don't wish to be unkind, but your social and political observations as I have observed them to date strike me as appallingly naïve, even childlike. I can respect those political adversaries whose arguments, even when I violently disagree with them, give some evidence of rational calculations behind them. Your reasonings, my dear nightowl, would not do credit to a twelve year-old. I do applaud, however, your disinclination to vote.

cordially,
New Re: nightowl wonders
I don't wish to be unkind, but your social and political observations as I have observed them to date strike me as appallingly naive, even childlike. I can respect those political adversaries whose arguments, even when I violently disagree with them, give some evidence of rational calculations behind them. Your reasonings, my dear nightowl, would not do credit to a twelve year-old. I do applaud, however, your disinclination to vote.

Ok, granted on the political end. I was just never interested in politics, and still am not, and it's very difficult for me to understand. So yes, I'm sure I have about a grade school level of comprehension for that.

As for my social observations, I'm not sure what you mean by that one.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New NO... what I meant was...
...that Sheep are willing to be led (actually, "herded" is the operative term) to whatever fate, Macheavelian [sic] or otherwise, that their "leaders" (read: shepherds) lead them into, and will quitely accept their fate without so much as a whimper (except perhaps, at the very end....).

Sheep don't question whether they are being duped, or led down the primrose path, because they feel "safe" when they are being herded somewhere.

Airport "security", as it is being practiced today, is so much handwaving. It has been repeatedly shown to be wastetime, ineffective window-dressing that does nothing to address the real problem of securing the airways against those evil-doers would would use said airways to do evil. Yet you, and so many others, are willing -- indeed eager -- to allow this inneffective handwaving exercise in the name of "heightend security" because you "feel so much safer" now that the Government "is doing something about security".

Sheep!

Get it now?
jb4
The difference between Confidence and Ego is that Confidence has respect, while Ego does not.
Candyce Burns (my wife)
New Re: NO... what I meant was...
...that Sheep are willing to be led (actually, "herded" is the operative term) to whatever fate, Macheavelian [sic] or otherwise, that their "leaders" (read: shepherds) lead them into, and will quitely accept their fate without so much as a whimper (except perhaps, at the very end....).

Sheep don't question whether they are being duped, or led down the primrose path, because they feel "safe" when they are being herded somewhere.

Well then I am most definitely NOT a sheep. If that was the case, I would still be employed today at a job I loved, rather than be a victim of having refused to do something I was told which was immoral and against the policy, and having lost a fight against a major university which ultimately cost me my job, my confidence in employment, and my self-confidence, some of the latter, which i have finally reacquired.

Airport "security", as it is being practiced today, is so much handwaving. It has been repeatedly shown to be wastetime, ineffective window-dressing that does nothing to address the real problem of securing the airways against those evil-doers would would use said airways to do evil. Yet you, and so many others, are willing -- indeed eager -- to allow this inneffective handwaving exercise in the name of "heightend security" because you "feel so much safer" now that the Government "is doing something about security".

I think the only reason I allow it is I have no say on it, am not part of it, do not fly and therefore, never considered it on any serious level. Make sense? I didn't say I did anything to cause it to be, only that knowing it happens gave me a level of comfort. There is a difference in being actively involved in causing something to happen, and simply gaining something from it happening.

Get it now?

Yes, but I still do not consider myself a sheep, based on your first paragraphs here, because I always question anything that directly affects me if I think it's wrong.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
Expand Edited by Nightowl July 23, 2003, 08:58:18 PM EDT
New AHAH! an almost tenured professor
suspected education when I saw that loverly car you drive.
thanx,
bill
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Re: AHAH! an almost tenured professor
suspected education when I saw that loverly car you drive.

Thanks Box. I do adore my car. :) But I was not a professor, was just on my way to becoming a History major...

But I do have a 2 year degree in Communications, Creative Writing. So yes, I'd say I'm fairly educated... just never completed the 4 year thing and may not, don't know.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New Retirement package still includes mint jelly...
New **chuckle**
jb4
Candyce Burns (my wife)
New Oh You Kid..!______(speak goatish?) 23 Skiddoo
     Man kicked off plane for political button - (lincoln) - (182)
         I take it that this is like - (orion) - (50)
             Doesn't sound like it to me, though... -NT - (imric)
             You. Would. -NT - (Ashton) - (48)
                 Re: You. Would. - (rcareaga) - (47)
                     that noise represents 70+% of Amerikan voters :( -NT - (boxley) - (7)
                         OK then.. what % of the plurality: the non-voters? -NT - (Ashton) - (6)
                             even larger :( - (boxley) - (5)
                                 I see only one solution, then. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                     No, Je refuse!!! we are responsable for our fellow man - (boxley)
                                     How ironic. - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                         Heh.. My Father has many liquids___er 'solutions' :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                                 Re: even larger :( - (Nightowl)
                     I confess that I vacillate on that one - (Ashton)
                     I have a friend - (FuManChu)
                     Re: You. Would. - (Nightowl) - (36)
                         Listen to yourself - (rcareaga) - (35)
                             Re: Listen to yourself - (Nightowl) - (34)
                                 Re: Listen to yourself - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Re: Listen to yourself - (Nightowl)
                                 Re: Listen to yourself - (rcareaga) - (31)
                                     I am not going away - (orion) - (30)
                                         Re: I am not going away - (Nightowl) - (29)
                                             Exactly - (orion) - (28)
                                                 Red Flag? - (pwhysall) - (27)
                                                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (folkert)
                                                     Must be the "Purloined Letter" theory of covert ops... -NT - (admin) - (25)
                                                         or cf the movie, "Charade" - for the non-reader. -NT - (Ashton) - (24)
                                                             Re: the movie, "Charade" - (rcareaga) - (19)
                                                                 Oh me oh my... - (folkert) - (2)
                                                                     Re: Oh me oh my... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                                         Well Kate was the poster child for Zappa's Dynamo Hum - (boxley)
                                                                 Good story. He was right! -NT - (deSitter) - (15)
                                                                     Re: Good story. He was right! - (rcareaga) - (14)
                                                                         Re: Good story. He was right! - (deSitter) - (13)
                                                                             Well.. about Audrey I could tell you. - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                                                 Re: Well.. about Audrey I could tell you. - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                                                     Audrey? *Bitchy*? - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                                                                         Re: Audrey? *Bitchy*? - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                                                             Re: Audrey? *Bitchy*? - (deSitter)
                                                                                 My brother, a movie addict, named one daughter Katharine. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                                             Philadelphia story was a damn good movie AND play. - (admin)
                                                                             Geez! Where to begin? - (rcareaga) - (5)
                                                                                 PS re the Other Hepburn - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                                                     Re: PS re the Other Hepburn - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                                                                         BTW - Audrey's US postage stamps are out! - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                             Re: BTW - Audrey's US postage stamps are out! - (Nightowl)
                                                                                 34 for me... - (admin)
                                                             Ok, that's the tangent limit people - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                 Oh.. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                     Oh..______Kay..______then -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                 Belings in Politics, Man Ejected Off Plane for Button (new thread) - (orion)
         Wondering if pilots, aircrews are selected for general - (Ashton) - (31)
             Re: Wondering if pilots, aircrews are selected for general - (deSitter) - (28)
                 Contentious LRPD: "That's what Brian Boitano'd do!" -NT - (Ashton)
                 At which point, - (jb4) - (26)
                     At a guess - (hnick) - (25)
                         Well, Hugh - that is indeed the pragmatic approach. - (Ashton) - (2)
                             Seems sort of boolean to come from you - (hnick) - (1)
                                 OW!___rilly know how to Hurt a Guy :( - (Ashton)
                         Re: At a guess - (deSitter) - (16)
                             Please tell me that's just flame bait. - (mmoffitt) - (15)
                                 Re: Please tell me that's just flame bait. - (deSitter) - (14)
                                     Huh, didn't know that Timothy McVeigh looked Semitic... -NT - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                                         He doesn't! - (deSitter) - (3)
                                             Well, that's the problem. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                                 Re: Well, that's the problem. - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                     Re: Well, that's the problem. - (deSitter)
                                         Re: Huh, didn't know that Timothy McVeigh looked Semitic... - (Nightowl)
                                     They asked for it? How? by being the wrong color? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                         Nope - by being from the wrong part of Earth - (deSitter) - (6)
                                             Are you reading as you're typing? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                 Re: Are you reading as you're typing? - (deSitter)
                                             Civilization and life - (mhuber) - (3)
                                                 It does come down to that, doesn't it. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                     Re: no historical perspective - (a6l6e6x)
                                                 People who think 2 lives per day is too many - (Arkadiy)
                         Hugh, the asshole in this thing was the PILOT - (jb4) - (4)
                             Utterly wrong - (deSitter) - (3)
                                 Brains, common sense are always useful. -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     Absolutely - might also be a firing offense though - (hnick)
                                     And, increasingly, conspicuous by their absence! -NT - (jb4)
             Most commercial pilots are former military - (jb4) - (1)
                 Explanation tested: found complete. Danke. -NT - (Ashton)
         Am sympathetic, but there is a flaw. - (mmoffitt)
         Oh come on. - (Silverlock) - (94)
             OK - how about '?W' buttons then.. or 'Impeach Bush' ? -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Acting obtuse? - (Silverlock) - (1)
                     It's like crazy Aunt Martha - (Ashton)
             Huh? - (broomberg) - (7)
                 You equating this with discrimination? - (Silverlock) - (3)
                     Re: You equating this with discrimination? - (jb4) - (2)
                         All riiiighty then. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                             One's lack of imagination is not criminal... - (jb4)
                 In Joisey, (where else) two dreadlocked fellers - (boxley) - (2)
                     ..and pull your pants up! -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                         .. and cut off that sissy ponytail - might conceal Stuff -NT - (Ashton)
             I thought you supported the Dixie Chicks? - (SpiceWare) - (79)
                 Yeah, me too - but then - (Ashton)
                 Huh? - (Silverlock) - (77)
                     Re: Huh? - (SpiceWare) - (76)
                         You quote yourself - (Silverlock) - (75)
                             I refer to an article - (SpiceWare) - (74)
                                 One more time. - (Silverlock) - (73)
                                     Re: One more time. - (Nightowl) - (46)
                                         No, no and no - (drewk) - (32)
                                             Re: No, no and no - (Nightowl) - (31)
                                                 do you moo when you go to the airport? - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     Re: do you moo when you go to the airport? - (Nightowl)
                                                 I also haven't been trampled by any elephants since 9/11 - (drewk) - (8)
                                                     ROFL! -NT - (jb4)
                                                     Re: I also haven't been trampled by any elephants since 9/11 - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                                         Why are you afraid of crashing Airplanes? - (boxley) - (5)
                                                             Re: Why are you afraid of crashing Airplanes? - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                                 Boxish to English translation. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                     Re: Boxish to English translation. - (Nightowl)
                                                                 Well do you cower in fear that cars, and cows crash into - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                     Re: Well do you cower in fear that cars, and cows crash into - (Nightowl)
                                                 You have an interesting sense of history - (jb4) - (18)
                                                     Re: You have an interesting sense of history - (Nightowl) - (17)
                                                         Out of the mouths of - - (Ashton) - (16)
                                                             Re: Out of the mouths of - - (Nightowl) - (15)
                                                                 Two words re safe sheep____lamb chops -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                     Re: Two words re safe sheep____lamb chops - (Nightowl)
                                                                 Dear God... - (rcareaga) - (5)
                                                                     Re: Dear God... - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                                         Re: Dear God... - (rcareaga)
                                                                     Re: Dear God... - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                         nightowl wonders - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                                             Re: nightowl wonders - (Nightowl)
                                                                 NO... what I meant was... - (jb4) - (6)
                                                                     Re: NO... what I meant was... - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                         AHAH! an almost tenured professor - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                             Re: AHAH! an almost tenured professor - (Nightowl)
                                                                     Retirement package still includes mint jelly... -NT - (hnick) - (2)
                                                                         **chuckle** -NT - (jb4)
                                                                         Oh You Kid..!______(speak goatish?) 23 Skiddoo -NT - (Ashton)
                                                 What I know - (tuberculosis)
                                         Or, perhaps, one less time - (jb4)
                                         Please.. - (Ashton) - (7)
                                             Re: Please.. - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                                 Point == missed. - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                                                     Re: Point == missed. - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                         Technology? - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                             Re: Technology? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                 Well, that clears it up. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                     Re: Well, that clears it up. - (Nightowl)
                                         Re: One more time. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                             Right. On. - (rcareaga)
                                             Thanks, Peter. - (Ashton)
                                         Dead fish get through the line faster -NT - (mhuber)
                                     button wasn't created for the article. - (SpiceWare) - (25)
                                         Sigh - (Silverlock) - (24)
                                             why the distinction? - (SpiceWare) - (23)
                                                 Good question - (Silverlock) - (22)
                                                     Good question, but the *wrong* one IMO - (drewk) - (21)
                                                         Ept-LRPD: "Safety is our first concern! Actually, meat - (Ashton)
                                                         Couldn't let this go by - (broomberg) - (16)
                                                             See, e.g., 87073. - (Another Scott) - (15)
                                                                 Thanks for finding the link - (drewk) - (9)
                                                                     So then.. what about Government Subsidized biznesses? - (Ashton) - (8)
                                                                         Good point - (drewk) - (7)
                                                                             Private water company - (broomberg) - (6)
                                                                                 Two answers - (drewk) - (5)
                                                                                     Why? - (broomberg) - (2)
                                                                                         Hey you can swim last time I checked - (boxley)
                                                                                         How can "company towns" exist? - (drewk)
                                                                                     Veolia (nee Vivendi) and Suez are 2 of the biggest. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                         Re: Veolia (nee Vivendi) and Suez are 2 of the biggest. - (Ashton)
                                                                 Medical? - (broomberg) - (4)
                                                                     Turn it around - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                         I'm merely exploring your "harm" limitation - (broomberg) - (2)
                                                                             Not allowed to buy my product != harm - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                                 Untrue - Answer Y/N on water company above - (broomberg)
                                                         I'm not a pilot - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                             Cool, but ... - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                 Here ya go - (Silverlock)
             Agree that the subject title could have been better -NT - (lincoln) - (2)
                 Hmmm. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                     {cackle} -NT - (Ashton)
         Haha! - (pwhysall)
         Didn't EXACTLY happen to me. -NT - (mhuber)
         Didn't EXACTLY happen to me. - (mhuber)

Finito, bay-bee...
235 ms