IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No idea what you mean ( was Re: Gosh.. I missed a ...)
Honesty is an attribute which someone might say about someone else.

I don't remember saying anything about honesty in this thread, so I don't know what this is replying to.

Look it up, please. Your er experience-base is in some disrepair if.. you have never heard the phrase, talking past each other.

I have no idea how to look up a phrase. And I really have not ever heard of that particular phrase. So would someone enlighten me?

Thanks.

Nightowl >8#

P.S. I can't stand Barney the purple dinosaur, by the way. ;)

"Only dead fish swim with the stream."
Linda Ellerbee
New Neither does anyone else. I wouldn't worry about it.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New OK. I failed. No big deal. Change to owls.
Recommendation, for owl-to-owl communication then:

Pigwidgeon (sp?) - one of the owls in the Harry Potter series, might express with more clarity. Actaully the Wizard-wisdom in a few paragraphs across all the series - will do even better. Certainly it will do better than modrin edjaKayshun is doing, lately.

What a Hoot!
New "talking past each other"
Means two people in a dialogue who think they are in a conversation (i.e. are listening and responding) but are not (i.e. are talking without listening or without understanding the other person).

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Exactly
Imagine two people, not quite facing each other, talking at once. What each says goes past the other - and doesn't register. The result is 2 different conversations, and frustration as half-heard responses don't seem to fit what you said.

When a conversation feels like that, I would say that the people are talking past each other. :-)

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Re: Exactly
Imagine two people, not quite facing each other, talking at once. What each says goes past the other - and doesn't register. The result is 2 different conversations, and frustration as half-heard responses don't seem to fit what you said.

When a conversation feels like that, I would say that the people are talking past each other. :-)

Thanks! That makes so much more sense, and explains why you and I weren't understanding each other! :)

Nightowl >8#
"Only dead fish swim with the stream."
Linda Ellerbee
     It FUCKING WELL WASN'T "in response to [your] post"... - (CRConrad) - (35)
         My, we are a grumpy bastard. - (bepatient) - (34)
             Re: My, we are a grumpy bastard. - (Nightowl) - (33)
                 Stop being fluffy... - (pwhysall) - (32)
                     Re: Stop being fluffy... - (Nightowl) - (31)
                         Hang around here and IT WILL HAVE TO BECOME YOUR STYLE! -NT - (mmoffitt) - (21)
                             Re: Hang around here and IT WILL HAVE TO BECOME YOUR STYLE! - (Nightowl) - (20)
                                 Think of it as a second language... - (hnick) - (19)
                                     Re: Think of it as a second language... - (Nightowl) - (18)
                                         But what do people get upset at you about? - (ben_tilly) - (17)
                                             Re: But what do people get upset at you about? - (orion) - (9)
                                                 Re: But what do people get upset at you about? - (Nightowl)
                                                 I'm not mad about your cussing me out - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                     Would somebody fucking FLAME SOMEONE already? - (drewk) - (6)
                                                         ? -NT - (admin)
                                                         Of course not, asshole - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                             I forgot, you're Canadian - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                 Some victory - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                     Remember it? Hell I've got *pictures* - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                         I hope someone got good blackmail money for them :-P -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                             Re: But what do people get upset at you about? - (Nightowl) - (5)
                                                 I was talking about people around here - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                     Re: I was talking about people around here - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                                         No need to apologize about talking past each other - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                             Re: No need to apologize about talking past each other - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                                 I Am What I am ( was Re: No need to apologize) - (Nightowl)
                                             After some thought, Ben... (new thread) - (Nightowl)
                         Gosh.. I missed a whole Fluffy Purple Dinosaur Flamewar :( - (Ashton) - (8)
                             dont you be fucking raggin my shoes!!! :-) - (boxley) - (1)
                                 OK. We now return you to our regularly scheduled -NT - (Ashton)
                             No idea what you mean ( was Re: Gosh.. I missed a ...) - (Nightowl) - (5)
                                 Neither does anyone else. I wouldn't worry about it. -NT - (bepatient)
                                 OK. I failed. No big deal. Change to owls. - (Ashton)
                                 "talking past each other" - (static) - (2)
                                     Exactly - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         Re: Exactly - (Nightowl)

You know nothing of this if they ask you...
179 ms