IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: A neat thing about de T
de T is of course the child of his time, as we are the children of ours. We should probably take this opportunity to repudiate the notion of "progress": enlightened thinking (or "political correctness" if you insist) almost always proves a moving target.

Thirty years ago I had to be physically restrained by a kind classmate from assaulting an earnest young woman who stood up in class to denounce G.B. Shaw for sexism--because he had not, in 1892's Widowers' Houses, contrived to reach the high standards of gender politics we'd achieved that spring quarter of 1973.

I regret to this day that I didn't strangle her. I'd likely have been released from prison by now.

cordially,
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
New :)
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]</br>

"If you want to meet a group of people who have a profound distrust of, and hostility toward, our legal system, don't waste your time on political radicals; interview a random selection of crime victims, and you will probably find that they make the former group look like utopian idealists by comparison." Dave Robicheaux
New Of all sad words of tongue or pen
The saddest are these,
It Might Have Been.

{sigh}

Ah yes, all those withering ripostes to Wuthering Heights, remembered 15 seconds too late.. :(

Recalls for me the time (hearsay to me after) when my mater was describing in a hearing - her injuries in a SF cable car accident.. not life-threatening but painful.. The Insur. Co's sleazy shyster responded, Methinks the lady doth protest too much. She got peanuts; a valuable early lesson for moi, about lying thieving Suits, no doubt.

Even the Bard can be subsumed to Evil Corporate minds, we see. Natch in my innocent pre-Shakespeare state, I could only mentally stick pins through the eyeballs of the slime [too early for me to conjure up groin, alas] - while momentarily also admiring the effectiveness of The Bastardry.

(Now I can despise Effectiveness as easily as snicker at the obtuse idea that there is such a thing as Progress, or of Jesus reviewing your Investments, during Preyer)

Tongue-tied in Timbuktu
     A. de Tocqueville, Democracy in America, about 1830 - (deSitter) - (19)
         What a sobering dialogue - Hmmmm, this caught my attn - (dmarker)
         You sifted that whole thing to grasp one limp straw? - (marlowe) - (13)
             Wow, completely ahistorical - (jake123) - (2)
                 THAT was the whole point - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Well, the good things he said are still as true. - (marlowe)
             I don't hate America - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                 Not even them - (deSitter)
             Re: You sifted that whole thing to grasp one limp straw? - (rcareaga) - (7)
                 Convictions ?? Nay - - (Ashton) - (4)
                     Re: Convictions ?? Nay - - (rcareaga) - (3)
                         Heh.. Let him who is without sine - (Ashton) - (2)
                             I think what we all benefitted from was a mentor - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Never had one - (deSitter)
                 More impotent rage from the peanut gallery! - (marlowe) - (1)
                     When you can't attack the message... - (inthane-chan)
         A neat thing about de T - (Ashton) - (3)
             Re: A neat thing about de T - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 :) -NT - (boxley)
                 Of all sad words of tongue or pen - (Ashton)

"Lord Vetinari won't stop at sarcasm. He might use" -- Colon swallowed -- "irony."
52 ms