[link|http://www.filmsite.org/cool.html|Cool Hand Luke]

An extract edited meanly by DSM <grin>

"The Marlowe man .. and the ideas that simply do not conform to normalacy." With this vivid film, director Stuart Rosenberg made one of the key films of the 1960s, a decade in which protest against logic, rational debate & accepted wisdom was a key theme. One line of the film's dialogue from Strother Martin is often quoted:

"What we have here is...failure to communicate."

What really amused me is that like a cornered rat - Merlin (sorry Marlowe) when faced with overwhelming up-to-date evidence (vs any aged flawed historical gumpf) did his classic switch & bait tactic - switched the thrust from his being caught out red handedly wrong to focus on some previously unmentioned & thus undebated theme (that the "Shanghai miracle" was actually only achieved because of US).

Thus Merlin (sorry again - Marlowe) tries to avoid having to stand before his peers here & admit "Yes I was wrong, the "Shanghi miracle is real". And, yes I am flawed when I claim my arguments are based on published fact.

So as I commented on in earlier post.

'Marlowe' I know how to judge you based on your 'facts' and your 'logic' and your debating style - and my judgement is not nice.

Cheers

Doug Marker