IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Chairman Mao it aint"
The PRC is missing a bet by not winding the corpse in copper wire.

cordially,

"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
New I nominate Marlowe as ambassador to China <grin>
'Marlowe' said .....

"I prefer to make *real* arguments. The kind that consist of documented facts that pertain to the subject."

'Marlowe' also said ...

"Don't talk to me about the Shanghai miracle. It's a mirage."

Here is some more interesting info, based on published 'facts' and information and extracted from *todays* edition of NewsWeek International, in the World View section. [link|http://www.msnbc.com/news/850714.asp|Link to the story in US Domestic Edition]

The story is a feature article of one page called "The Big Story Everyone Missed" - the Highlighted caption reads "People who were whipped into a frenzy about the 'Chinese peril' must wonder what happened. But Washington's shift in attitude is a return to sanity"

The article is quite long & I won't type it all in but will highlight pertinent statements and the 'facts' it quotes ...

"who are the winners and losers of the new international order?"

The losers are obvious -- Saddam Hussien, Saudi Arabia, Hosni Mabarak, Yasir Arafat and of course, Al Qaeda, which may not be dead but is on the run.

The winners are Israel, India and Russia. Their struggles with their opponents (the Palestinians, the Kashmiris and the Chechens respectively) have been cast in a more favourable light. Russia, in particular, has shrewedly used the war on terror to further its integration into the west.

But in many ways the country that has benefited most from 9-11 is China. The attacks on New York and Washington had an enormous, positive effect for it. They moved the country off Washington's enemies list.

.....(more)

Then with 9/11 along came a real enemy, and China was instantly forgotten. There are many people in America who, having been whipped into a frenzy about the Chinese peril, are wondering what happened.

.....(more)

The results over the two decades have been staggering. Even if you assume its growth numbers are exaggerated, it has moved hundreds of millions of people from poverty into middle-income status. Jeffery Sachs, the economist who has advised dozens of developing countries, puts it simply: "China is the most succesful development story in world history."

Its economic policies have borne remarkable fruit over the last few years. China has become the most important manufacturing nation in the world.

The economic map of Asia is being redrawn, with China at the center. This is the big story of the year that got drowned out by the war on Terror.

Consider the following: in 1985, exports from foreign companies in China were composed of only 1 percent of the country's total exports, amounting to $300 million. In 2001 they composed 50 percent of its exports, totalling $133 billion. Chinais now the largets provider of Japanese imports. And these goods are not all cheap plastic toys.

Nobuyuki Idei has privately revealed that in two years his company, Sony, Japan's flagship corporation, will be manufacturing more goods in China than in its home country.

Last august Singapore's prime minister, Goh Chok Tong, called China's continuing growth "scary", and urged his countrymen "to secure a niche for ourselves as China swamps the world with her higher-quality, but cheaper, products.

.....(more)

Washington\ufffds shift in attitude toward China marks a return of sanity. The United States cannot stop China\ufffds rise, nor should it. To set itself up against China, before that country has shown itself to be a foe, is to create a self-fulfilling prophecy, ensuring a contest between the world\ufffds leading power and its fastest-rising one. This is the stuff of world wars. And we already have one going.

I ask 'Marlowe' - how should we here judge your statements and your facts ? - based on the above quotes from you and the information presented - you have a serious credibility gap.

Can you provide *anything* in mitigation or do we look at this as a classic example of how you argue your points in this forum ?

Do we draw the obvious conclusions about you and what you are when it comes to facts ?

Cheers

Doug Marker
Expand Edited by dmarker Dec. 31, 2002, 02:58:35 AM EST
Expand Edited by dmarker Dec. 31, 2002, 04:36:36 AM EST
New Zooooom - -
That is the sound I am familiar with, re similar er confrontations with My Gramma\ufffd.. it's the sound of something going over a head at high altitude, all er 'buffered' from notice.

Possibly an answer to atavistic one-liners is a variant of, leave her to Heaven ... in a non-denominational sense, of course.

Still, there is a need for such regurgitations as demonstrate how a mere techno education about logic n'stuff Is Never Enough to ensure the creation (hopefully Real Soon next) of a civilized world - one not based solely upon possession of the biggest penis/Boom-Boom machine.

(Besides, it seems that when the Strange-loves clam up, go under ground and reproduce aseptically -- can Die Neue Horst Wessel Song and Sam Brown belts come far behind?)

Tidings,
Ashton

PS - we may miss Hating China, as we mourn the loss of the USSR [it was such a perfect Golem!] but bet on it: we'll keep a roster of Evul Ones handy for rabble-rousing by the Lotts and Dubya Dynasties of the future.. they're always with us. In fact many of them: 'govern' us. But these folk do smile a lot.. like our Rev Foulwell (though that one is more like a smarl).

PPS - this just in via magic of Radio:

"Saddam Hussein is a threat to The Murican Peepul"
GW Bush's cheery New Years comment, from very near the stable on his Texas ranchette..
When the rich assemble to concern themselves with the business of the poor, it is called Charity. When the poor assemble to concern themselves with the business of the rich, it is called Anarchy.

-Paul Richards
New Just noticed "Marlowe" is an anagram of "War Mole"
-drl
New I'm 100% satisfied Marlowe is our new Merlin <grin> ...
2003 is going to provide us all with an opportunity to learn from the unassailable evidence we will be able to present that gets debunked by Merlin's (I mean Marlowe's) 'filtered facts & fiction' - (almost rhymes with Fractured Fairytales (remember them):-)

Merlin really provided us with a ton o fun until he fnally slunk off (from IWETHEY) into the sewers of Paris.

Cheers Doug

Just wanted to make it quite clear that I am *NOT* saying that Marlowe is Michel Merlin, I am saying he is our 'new' Michel Merlin. I am pointing this out to make bloody sure that noone comes back & claims I 'said' that Marlowe *is* Merlin.

Marlowe has stated here in this forum that he only posts here with one login. On the face of it we have to accept this even though Marlowe has not really established (as far as I can tell) any credibility with anyone else here (except perhaps with Boxley <grin>).

I understand that 'Marlowe' has indicated to some that his name is an alias & that he is on some special 'mission' in defence of the homeland that will 'be revealed at some future time'.

It is possible that as Boxley has hinted, Marlowe is an alias for someone who is in or employed by a contractor in, the REMF & whilst not being trusted with a gun or possibly not fit for frontline duty, may be 'doing his patriotic' bit by stalking on-line discussion groups dispensing the 'truth' to the great unwashed & ill-informed (us).

The fact that 'Marlowe' has this secret has of course (for some of us) created an atmosphere of mistrust - what are this guy's real motives ? - is he just a fruitcake with a messianic complex ? - and one highly amusing possibility, that he is an undercover agent for some military *mission impossible* (for some).

Picture this (pure humour of course)

OFFICER: Right men! I am captain Michael Cyberseek of Military intelligence and I am here to enlist you in a special ops project of utmost importance to out nation. We have good reason to believe that there are terrorist plots being hatched on the Internet and we need YOU rear echelon men to fight a battle back here in the US every bit as important as our frontline troops.

In the months ahead what we are telling you today will make sense. This is going to be a tough challenge but we know you can do it. Are you willing ?

MEN: (in chorus) Hhhunnn!!!

OFFICER: The mission should you accept it, is to join selected Internet discussion groups and to seek out potential terrorists or those you believe are, or may be planning to, act against the interests of our great nation. You with me ?

MEN: (in chorus) Hhhunnn!!!

OFFICER: We also want you to counter any anti-national discussions by feeding these groups with material we will make available to you. If you run into difficulty you can contact a nominated support officer who will advise you on strategy & tactics and techniques for geeting around difficult discussions.
Do I have your support ?

MEN: (in chorus) Hhhhhuuunnnnn!!!

OFFICER: Good. Here are your allocated target groups and some suggested aliases you can use plus advice on getting started.

Now you in the front row, as an example you could call yourself Marlowe and join this particular group where they are known to debate a much wider range of topics that their title suggests.

MARLOWE: But sir I haven't joined in non-REMF discussion group before. How I do I know I can match wits with real IT intellectuals. I'm just a junior network administrator.

OFFICER: I'm telling you don't worry son, the facts we will give you will be so powerful that that you won't need any higher IQ than you already have as a REMF soldier.

yadda yadd yadda ...

Enjoy - DSM

Expand Edited by dmarker Jan. 1, 2003, 01:12:21 AM EST
     Shanghai miracle - (rcareaga) - (62)
         did you get to Shanghai? - (boxley) - (6)
             Re: did you get to Shanghai? - (rcareaga)
             "Chairman Mao it aint" - (rcareaga) - (4)
                 I nominate Marlowe as ambassador to China <grin> - (dmarker) - (3)
                     Zooooom - - - (Ashton)
                     Just noticed "Marlowe" is an anagram of "War Mole" -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                         I'm 100% satisfied Marlowe is our new Merlin <grin> ... - (dmarker)
         The "Shanghai miracle" - (Silverlock) - (9)
             Re: The "Shanghai miracle" - (dmarker)
             China appears ready to put man in space ... - (dmarker) - (7)
                 ...and on the moon - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     Now that tops my news <grin>. Where will this end ? - (dmarker)
                 Pics fine [and er.. deja vu] in Moz 1.01 -NT - (Ashton)
                 Laundry and take-out for ISS :) -NT - (deSitter)
                 Do you suppose they had some help... - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     Re: Do you suppose they had some help... - (deSitter) - (1)
                         So China can help N. Korea and the Pakistanis build ICBMs? - (a6l6e6x)
         An antidote for irrational exuberance - (marlowe) - (44)
             Fucking amazing - it 1st revises its facts ... - (dmarker) - (4)
                 Crash & burn #1 - 'Marlowe' Where in your quoted link here - (dmarker)
                 Crash & Burn #2 - Where in this quoted link is there any .. - (dmarker)
                 Crash & Burn #3 - Your quoted link #3 actually argues in - (dmarker)
                 Crash & Burn #4 - This link is not 'facts' it is subjective - (dmarker)
             take all of your facts and convert them to truth - (boxley) - (2)
                 No, not all that different. - (marlowe) - (1)
                     SO THATS IT !!! - Marlowe is a Falun Gonger ! -NT - (dmarker)
             Re: An antidote for irrational exuberance - (rcareaga) - (35)
                 Chuckle....sometimes it's hard for us to remember - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                     Had that 'Energia' not suffered a Murican-style blow-up - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Merlin/Marlowe/Whoever - brings to mind 'Cool Hand Luke' - (dmarker)
                 Re: An antidote for irrational exuberance - (deSitter) - (31)
                     rocket science - (rcareaga) - (30)
                         Russians were desparate to show the US up. - (static) - (26)
                             Russians messed up by allowing politics to override tech - (dmarker) - (25)
                                 Let us hope, then... - (rcareaga) - (5)
                                     Ah yes, McPhee - - and the decline of US amateur electronics - (Ashton) - (3)
                                         Re: Ah yes, McPhee - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                             Well.. Rhodes ain't too shabby in that department, either. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                 Rhodes not shabby at all - (rcareaga)
                                     You mean like Timothy McVeigh :-) - (dmarker)
                                 But we are losing it.. - (Ashton) - (9)
                                     The world is no longer electronic - (Arkadiy) - (8)
                                         The world! is analog(ue). - (Ashton) - (7)
                                             Yes, alas, digitial does not actually exist . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                 What matters is the precision necessary and possible - (Arkadiy)
                                             Be careful saying "never". - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                 Methinks that "0 resistance" - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                     Electrical resistance and *c* are different issues. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                         Well... DC resistivity does seem bulletproof - (Ashton)
                                                         A/C for runing a super conductor - (dmarker)
                                 Re: Russians messed up by allowing politics to override tech - (rcareaga) - (8)
                                     Yes - very good point. My interest is homebuilt h/c and ... - (dmarker) - (7)
                                         Re: Yes - very good point. My interest is homebuilt h/c and - (rcareaga) - (6)
                                             OOOooooo that was below the belt <grin> - (dmarker) - (5)
                                                 Kinda OT: Insert tasteless joke here... - (Meerkat) - (4)
                                                     Re: Kinda OT: Insert tasteless joke here... - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                                         Don't know of her - was she somone who wouldn't let go - (dmarker) - (1)
                                                             sic transit gloria mundi! - (rcareaga)
                                                     Then there's Rod McKuen - for complete masslessness: - (Ashton)
                         Re: rocket science - (deSitter)
                         Russia has alway been good - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                             Re: Russia has alway been good - (deSitter)

Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?
170 ms