IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Heard on CNN just now

Interviewer to oil trader -

Q: "how is the Iraq crisis affecting oil prices"
A: "Prices will go up a little and although I trade in oil it hurts me just as much to pay higher at the pump"

Q: "What will a change in Iraq govt mean ?"
A: "Ohh that will have a profound impact - I mean a friendly Iraq govt will pump a lot more oil and that will have a dramatic impact on what we pay for petrol which will be come significantly cheaper"

Hmmmmmmm !!! - Do you guys know just how many gallons of petrol the US consumes per day !!! - and how many cubic feet of CO2 that produces (the most harmful greenhouse gases).

I challenge Marlowe to come back with the figures for US consumption (I saw them on Discovery channel 2 weeks back) plus include comparisons to the next biggest consumer of petrol.

If Marlowe has the fortitude to take up my challenge I also add to list to list the cost per gallon (allowing for diff between imperial & US gallons) of petrol in the US compared to the next 5 largest countries - I am willing to bet (but be proven wrong) that you (Marlowe) will have no desire to research these figures - but if you don't I will at a later date.

Anyone who says this is *not* about oil is either blatantly dishonest or dangerously naive or spends a lot of their time wondering where the whistling sound comes from (as the wind blows between their ears - in one & straight out the other).

Doug Marke
Expand Edited by dmarker2 Sept. 19, 2002, 10:02:59 AM EDT
New Blathered on CNN just now
Well,

I'd like to submit, this *IS* about many things.... of which ONE of them is the OIL... albeit a big *ONE*... it is STILL not the only big *ONE*...

I'd like you to also admit this *ISN'T* JUST about the OIL!

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New Of course it's not JUST about the oil
It's also about profits for Halliburton. It's also about getting the news media to stop reporting on the dismal economic policies of Bush. It's also to keep the news pointed away from business scandals.
"Logic is a wonderful thing but doesn't always beat actual thought."
-Terry Pratchett
New Ahhhh... feels SOOO good...
The media ALWAYS reports on the MOST important issues of our day... You know that...

Bah... those STEENKEEN Corporate Scandals... Who needs 'em,
Never mind the the Israel bungles happening nearly daily...
Never mind those $$$(tens of Millions for just administrating the program) being thrown away at the "only supposed to be around for 5 years, in the 60's but still is - Educational Encouragement to promote Lawyers"... Bah of no consequence...
Nevermind, those "I want to CUT ALOT of stuff ("except for *MY* constituants") from the federal budget!" Flag waving Congress Critters (Dems or Reps)... bah... no-one cares
Wait... on my... where does that Aircraft Carrier belong.... haeya... who cares...
That SmartShip program... how's that going... crash a few to many times lately?? bah..
SDI... a new company ... oh wait... we just spent ONLY about $20B on it... let's just give it away...
Moon?... What moon?... all I see is Mars... oh wait... can't do that, can I bum a cup-of-coffee?

Blah... Blah... Blah...

curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

New Re: Sorry greg but ...

what was that all about ?

You are no idiot (we all know that) - but I could not make one skerrik of sense from that post & despite how tough I can come across - I truly do look for rational commentary it what we all post (even my own posts !!!).

Can you mimick Brandioch & just give us some simple straight facts & points - Brandioch is always easy to understand even if you disagree with him.

Don't let emotion obscure the smart person you are (not an insult but a genuine compliment).

Cheers

Doug

New Yeah, I know... the hand... I know... the hand...
Yeah... Yeah...

I was just trying to interject, without saying anything at all... although I feel rather strongly on alot of these issues, I just like to stir up the pot sometimes...

JFTR, I am very disappointed in both the Democrats AND Republicans... I am neither, nor am I Independant nor Conservative nor Libertarian... I pick the points *I* agree with and stick to those...

And no... I don't wanna really comment on these particular issues... to much... only to say:

Since WWII, the US has failed to finish *ANY* real engagement with finality... i.e. Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm... sure Grenada and Panama we smoked... but come on... did they even REALLY have a chance? Now it comes down to this... Iraq... these thing have been cooking since *THE* event in the 50's... and if you don't know which event... let's just say it was REALLY aggravated by the "BIG" 12 day incident ~1970(+- 4-5 years)... continued to escalate with the 444 day event... got worse around the barracks bombing... etc... wink-wink-nudge-nudge ;)

That is all...

New Re: The Grenada invasion was a real intrigue
When the others were discussing US invasions I decided not to chime in (have a long list (grin))

There was little ole Grenada - It wasn't an independent country, it was in fact the territory of the UK, a European country - Why did US invade Grenada when it was UK territory? - we all know the UK had no trouble protecting its territory such as when the Argies siezed the Falklands - Brits kicked ass big time reasserting their control - message from UK was don't mess with us else we'll send in the SAS. Answer is that Maggie Thatcher Gave Reagan the green light to invade to suit both countries strategic needs.

In Grenada there were communist influenced agitators stirring up trouble - at the same time US wanted to invade Panama (down the track). Panama invasion was to undo the wimpy agreement that the Rev Jimmy Carter entered into to cede Panama Canal to Panama by year 2000 on the basis that the PDF (Panama Defence Forces) was fully able to defend the canal - Reagan & crew (same bunch as Dubya has behind him) did not like that agreement one bit so engineered the Norriega ascendancy just so they could take him out (not a lot unlike what is being done to Saddam Hussien). Norriega was a CIA asset. The former head of Panama had died when his plane fell out of the sky with a big missile shaped hole through it, Norriega was general in the PDF & he took over. He was anothesucker who thought CIA were his friends & supported him in some drug running as they were profiting (for other covert ops) as well. The Panama scheme worked beyond expectations. A pro US govt was installed the former PDF officers were all executed - many were dug up later with bullet holes in back of head & hands tied behind backs (this kind of cracking down is very scary). Some were believed agents of Soviets or China. The new PDF was then US trained & controlled. Then with little delay, US ceeded the canal to Panama. There is though some considerable concern that China through the Hong Kong based Huchison Whampoa mega-shipping line, has gained excessive influence over the port facilities at both ends of the canal. I posted a US think tank report on that matter some months back.

Anyway, back to Grenada. Reagan asked Maggie if the US could use Grenada as a practice run for Panama & at the same time clean-up the communist trouble makers there (Russia was really giving US a tough time thru these little take-over plots it kept hatching - in the Pacific they had tried similar takeovers in Kiribati & Fiji but US managed to blunt them (Figi is a fascinating story in itself - I know lots about that one)). So when some US students staying on Grenada were 'kidnapped' the US press gave it a blaze of publicity (later evidence suggests they weren't actually kidnapped at all) Reagan then used that event to authorise the invasion & siezure of Grenada.

US did get some solid experience in Grenada & discovered that even the fearless SEALS could get shot up badly. I always remember that poor chopper pilot whose machine was shot down in the surf & was trapped there until finally picked off by one of the rebels ashore before rescue unit could reach him.

US needed to do what it did in Grenada but the story used to justify the invasion was largely fabricated. Some times Presidents tell lies in order achieve strategic goals. It is ok if they get away with it as the victor always writes the history but when one can see lies being told it is hard not to jump up & down & cry foul. That is what many of us are doing re this invasion of Iraq. The problem is if lots of people see lies then the Pres has to try a more subtle strategy for fulfilling his goals - the main thing is not to be too transparent (which unfortunately Dubya is) as that breeds hate amongst some nations & peoples towards US & that compounds the problem longer term. I really don't think that Dubya has the charismatic quality that Reagan had (actually, a quality actor) that earned him the nickname 'Teflon President'.

Bush has used 9/11 to lay the foundation for why he is going after Iraq. He really does need to provide some legitimacy to this invasion because make no mistake, lots of people will be killed & nothing breeds hate for US faster than if others see the killings as superpower murder of innocents. Bush has total and full legitimacy for going after the perps of 9/11 - almost everyone in the world agreed with that right. Warping 9/11 into any form of justification for invading another sovereign country is politically very very dangerous turf.

But after it is all over Bush will get to write the history & Saddam will get forgotten *but* the seeds of hate will have been planted.

Cheers

Doug Marker

#1 Why is I can't see my spelling mistakes until hours after they are posted - sheesh

Expand Edited by dmarker2 Sept. 20, 2002, 05:49:22 AM EDT
New You are wrong .
But only in your last sentance--

But after it is all over Bush will get to write the history & Saddam will get forgotten *but* the seeds of hate will have been planted.

Writing history is part of the job of the internet. Disappearing the facts doesn't work so well anymore
"Logic is a wonderful thing but doesn't always beat actual thought."
-Terry Pratchett
New Re: I might very well be on that point and for ...

the very issue you raise.

In the late 60s & early 70s - a whole new generation showed that they didn't have to support wars that were clearly unjust.

Did the world suffer because the Nth Viets won - not really.

Perhaps the Internet and a new generation who have the guts to do the researh & and filter the 'facts' might just teach this pres a new lesson.

Cheers Doug
New Unless ... we supinely let Ashcroft + M$ own the net, next.
New Re: Hmmm - China was rumoured to have

used its influence with ISPs to redirect access to google to a lesser Chines search engine. This appeard to last about 2 weeks abut was reported as erratic.

Google is back & working - I gotta say that google is the best source I knowof to quickly unearth screeds of information on fairly specific topics.

Nothing else compares (that I know of). So if google goes under in US then fighting back would become harder.

Doug M
New OT, but since you asked...
...I still like AltaVista's advanced search. The only engine I know if where you can still formulate a boolean search with nested AND's, OR's, NOT's and NEARs (do not underestimate the power of this last operator in winnowing down the "1,826,751 matches found" problem...).
jb4
"About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe. It is equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead. "
-- Edsger W.Dijkstra (1930 - 2002)
(I wish more managers knew that...)
New dogpile is good also
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

qui mori didicit servire dedidicit
New Re: I just want somneone to take up my challenge

Will you step in for Marlowe and do it or do I have to do it for y'all

Cheers

Doug
New What else is it about?
Specifically.

If the oil isn't the sole reason we have to invade, what is(are) the reason(s)?

Once they're stated, it shouldn't be hard to find other countries doing exactly the same thing WITHOUT the oil that we aren't talking about invading.

Therefore, it is about the oil. Without the oil, no talk of invasion. With the oil, invasion.

No oil == no invasion

oil == invasion

Tack on whatever additional items you want. That basic equation will not change.
New Re: That is too damned logical
How do you expect normal people to grasp pure logic - they can't drink pure alcohol (but love the stuff)

fer chrisakes tell a good story like Dubya does & weave the facts into it (or the lies - as appropriate)

(V.B. Grin)

Cheers

Doug

#1 (typo: dring to drink)
Expand Edited by dmarker2 Sept. 19, 2002, 11:27:17 AM EDT
New Interestingly, Australia is...
...[link|http://www.wri.org/powerpoints/climate/img006-large.jpg|number 2] on the per capita emissions scale.
New Re: Hmmmmm - good detective work there boy ...
What the FUCK does it tell us ???????

(big grin)

Doug Marker

(still waiting to see who has the guts to research petrol consumption & the volume of CO2 each gallon produces - but am expecting to be bombarded with trivial & unrelated distractions that completely ignore the core issue (because so many people don't want to face this ugly issue) - and the bombardment has started)

Saying of the day : Creatures (such as the Ostrich), with their heads in sand will never hear the wind whistling thru their ears

#1 (missing g)
#2 more typo
Expand Edited by dmarker2 Sept. 19, 2002, 11:22:24 AM EDT
Expand Edited by dmarker2 Sept. 19, 2002, 11:30:32 AM EDT
New Total emissions...
...are available [link|http://wri.igc.org/powerpoints/climate/img005-large.jpg|by country], as well as the amount that [link|http://wri.igc.org/powerpoints/climate/img003-large.jpg|Kyoto] was intended to reduce the "increase" in emissions.
New Re: Where from

Please do explain where these carbon emmissions come from ???

Are you trying to tell us something ??? - does Australia have more industry than US ???

Does Australia burn coal to create industry ???

Just explain the significance of the charts - petrol use & CO2 have very clear cut meanings in terms of why countries go to war over oil & why some countries REFUSE to sign treties like Kyoto

D
New Look over here!!!! Oil!!!! And tripled exclamation marks!!!
You've been taking red herring lessons from Brandioch. Sorry, I don't chase red herrings. None of what you say has any bearing on the real issue, and you know it. That's precisely why you're making a big deal out of it. Shame on you.

I challenge you to prove that Saddam is acting like he has something to hide because he's being mind controlled by aliens or something, instead of for the most likely reason.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Everything's a mystery until you figure out how it works.
We are here to go!
The nihilists and the liars have buried truth alive in a shallow grave.
New Re: Look over here!!!! (I suck sand)
What the f*** are you on about ?????

As I kinda knew - you (Mr M) are not interested in the major concerns of your own scientists re greenhouse emmisions
& consumption of petrol. There are some states in the US whose number of cars is growing faster than their populations - but you can't make a thread of a connection to these kinds of facts and the current Republican right's desire to invade Iraq unilaterally.

You are so blinded by your infusion of war propaganda (for whatever emotional reasons behind it) that you don't realise how the ordinary citizen of Bhagdad are terrified of what the US is intending inflicting on them - you are so full of the propaganda about what an evil bastard Saddam is that you truly believe that slaughtering a lot of Iraqis is saving them from that horrible meglomanic that rules & suppresses them. You ignore that no other country sees it the same way.

Go shove your head back in the sand - then that mysterious whistling noise will stop disturbing you.

Cheers

Doug Marker
New You become so predictable when you know you're wrong.
I challenge you to prove that Saddam is acting like he has something to hide because he's being mind controlled by aliens or something, instead of for the most likely reason.
Instead of addressing the stated issues, you go off about some fantasy.

No one said that Saddam was "being mind controlled by aliens".

But, you can't address the actual position so you'll go off on some weird tangent.

Saddam isn't acting like he has something to hide. He's acting just like the person he is. A military dictator that doesn't want to lose his country or his life and is facing the increasing possibility that the remaining super-power will invade.

There's nothing complex about THAT!

Well, for any reasonably intelligent person, there's nothing complex about that. Just think of how we would act if a bigger enemy started talking about invading us?

New Heard on NPR just now
a official Congressional panel discusses the invasion

"It's reasonable to assume that the new, free Iraqi governement will use the oil wealth to compensate for war damage"

"If French and Russians think that they can have an arrangement with Hussein, and then come back to liberated Iraq and pick things up as if nothing happened - we should give them something else to think about."

Both quotes from the distinguished chairman of the panel.

We have only 2 things to worry about: That things will never get back to normal, and that they already have.
     Heard on CNN just now - (dmarker2) - (23)
         Blathered on CNN just now - (folkert) - (14)
             Of course it's not JUST about the oil - (Silverlock) - (10)
                 Ahhhh... feels SOOO good... - (folkert) - (9)
                     Re: Sorry greg but ... - (dmarker2) - (8)
                         Yeah, I know... the hand... I know... the hand... - (folkert) - (7)
                             Re: The Grenada invasion was a real intrigue - (dmarker2) - (6)
                                 You are wrong . - (Silverlock) - (5)
                                     Re: I might very well be on that point and for ... - (dmarker2) - (4)
                                         Unless ... we supinely let Ashcroft + M$ own the net, next. -NT - (Ashton) - (3)
                                             Re: Hmmm - China was rumoured to have - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                                 OT, but since you asked... - (jb4) - (1)
                                                     dogpile is good also -NT - (boxley)
             Re: I just want somneone to take up my challenge - (dmarker2)
             What else is it about? - (Brandioch) - (1)
                 Re: That is too damned logical - (dmarker2)
         Interestingly, Australia is... - (ChrisR) - (3)
             Re: Hmmmmm - good detective work there boy ... - (dmarker2) - (2)
                 Total emissions... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                     Re: Where from - (dmarker2)
         Look over here!!!! Oil!!!! And tripled exclamation marks!!! - (marlowe) - (2)
             Re: Look over here!!!! (I suck sand) - (dmarker2)
             You become so predictable when you know you're wrong. - (Brandioch)
         Heard on NPR just now - (Arkadiy)

Dead people voting?
250 ms