IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Here's a hint
Unless you really, REALLY know what you're doing, don't go ANYWHERE near an NTFS volume with a sector editor.

NTFS is a proper filing system, with all sorts of things you didn't know it had, like streams, metadata journalling, per-file compression, encryption, hidden files and all sorts of other horrors. It's not terribly well documented, natch.

It's not FAT16 with long filenames and permissions, that's fer shure.

Fix the problem with the tools at hand - that's CHKDSK, basically.

If it were me? Well, firstly I'd be seriously fascinated as to how such a file could come into existence and some serious poring over the system logs would be done. (I had a brief play with this - I *could not* create a file anywhere in my filesystems called "COM1", either from an application or the command line).

Then I'd back up the volume with the exception of that one file, format it, and restore.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Thanks for that tip..
I missed Bill's later comment that it was NTFS (though I don't know fersure how ept are RIX tools - nor if they apply only to NT on FAT, and would automatically abort re NTFS)

Anyway - I hadn't realized that NTFS was both that 'rich' / complex and er.. undocumented. At least I know now, why never to 'try' from naive sector-fix results for FAT :[

A.
waiting for charm + color to be added to 'bits' - for 3D holographic storage of files with smells and angst
New FYI: Creating COM1 file
I had a brief play with this - I *could not* create a file anywhere in my filesystems called "COM1", either from an application or the command line

"dir > \\\\.\\c:\\temp\\com1"

Using the "\\\\" let me create "com1" files and variations.
Darryl A. Peterson

I'm not as funny as I think I am.
New Thanks. I will play on a non-critical partition :)
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New the double slash \\\\ fools NT into thinking
it is another machine so dont check for local reserved names. Delete should work except that it is not "com1" it is "com1 " and del doesnt understand the space and wildcards cant catch it either.
Will be creating a linux box s I can have a useful ftp server that doesnt need to be patched every week. Also anon will be locked out. Unfortunate for the customers but convenience of not remembering passwords is less than the unconvenience of french people using your hard drive for their nefarious french designs. :)
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
     deleting hosed file - (boxley) - (54)
         Tried wildcards? - (Another Scott) - (1)
             rename doesnt work -NT - (boxley)
         Try this - (dpeterson) - (9)
             no joy access denied error -NT - (boxley) - (8)
                 Ok... - (bepatient) - (2)
                     nope tied to a reserved word (hardware) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                         Use a NT boot disk, - (DonRichards)
                 Alternately, the POSIX tools supposedly work... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     posix makes sense because to posix hardware - (boxley) - (2)
                         POSIX stuff here... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             More POSIX Stuff - (altmann)
                 A combined idea - (dpeterson)
         I always used a disk editor . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             wouldnt the HAL get in the way? - (boxley) - (2)
                 Tried CHKDSK? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     chkdsk - (boxley)
         more info - (boxley)
         Type "del com1" in google? - (tseliot) - (32)
             tried that - (boxley) - (31)
                 Put the filename in quotes. - (Another Scott)
                 Re: tried that - (a6l6e6x) - (25)
                     no joy -NT - (boxley) - (24)
                         How about del com* -NT - (static)
                         Hell, if you can Move it! - (Ashton) - (22)
                             cant move to another disk - (boxley) - (21)
                                 RIX (Radsoft) Diskview will do it.. - (Ashton) - (20)
                                     Good example of bad design. - (Andrew Grygus) - (14)
                                         *chuckle* - (imric) - (1)
                                             Now there's an LRPDism! -NT - (Steve Lowe)
                                         Hey I said the stuff seems to work, not - (Ashton) - (4)
                                             Xtree has been replaced. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                                 Re: Xtree has been replaced. Huzzah! - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                     Spinrite 2 - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                 Never mind: it's a ZopeDupe -NT - (Ashton)
                                         Yeah, industrial companies are even worse - (tonytib) - (6)
                                             try our advertising - (boxley) - (3)
                                                 OT. Say Box,... - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                                     Sorry neither name rings a bell - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         Thanks! It was just a wild shot. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                             That's what "List Price" is for. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                 Yeah, but most don't even give list price w/o calling - (tonytib)
                                     Here's a hint - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                         Thanks for that tip.. - (Ashton)
                                         FYI: Creating COM1 file - (dpeterson) - (2)
                                             Thanks. I will play on a non-critical partition :) -NT - (pwhysall)
                                             the double slash \\\\ fools NT into thinking - (boxley)
                 Trailing space - (qstephens) - (3)
                     tried no joy - (boxley) - (2)
                         Parse error. - (static) - (1)
                             thought so tried that as well as alt128 alt0 no joy -NT - (boxley)
         Re: deleting hosed file - (GBert) - (1)
             tried no joy -NT - (boxley)
         I'm confused. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             it is being resxolved by building a linux ftp server - (boxley)

¡Despierte, Estupido-idiota!
71 ms