IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hey I said the stuff seems to work, not
that they knew anything about marketing to peculiar homo-saps ('peculiar' - by def'n, anyone who would want, could use such utils today, that is).

Hell, send 'em a note! You might well be heard immediately.. I just ordered on seeing a friend's demo and thinking that, if we don't support such efforts - we'll be left with only the Symantec Disneyland comic bloatware demos, a bowdlerized scan disk which reports Nothing!

and SpinRite.. for a while longer (until the few who understand its purpose and its cleverness - also are replaced with the latest crop of MCSE College of San Mateo 'certificants').

(I also *bought* XTree - then.. and in the CP/M days a clever program called Power! which was also way-smarter than the prevailing 'retype everything forever' mindset.)

Fight Dumbth: pay good authors for decent work, so they can eat. Today.

A.
New Xtree has been replaced.
[link|http://www.ztree.com/|ZTree] is available for 32-bit Windows and OS/2, and is much better than XTree Gold. At $30 it is clearly a "must have" (I have both Windows and OS/2 versions and use them incessently in-house and for field support). It is available from [link|http://www.bmtmicro.com/|BMT Micro].

Spinrite is, of course, a basic essential without which one cannot claim to be a competent technician (except version 2.0, which did not work (but cost as much as the versions that do work)).
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Re: Xtree has been replaced. Huzzah!
Heh - I think I skipped V2 of SpinRite - was that the one which took forever (as if it were counting Avogadro's number to make up 1 mol of domains?) I think he replaced it with 3.0 for free?

Thanks for ZTree link, bookmarked. I've been using list.com (just today - getting the &*#^*@# ancient .dlls from Iomega replaced with later.) So far, looks as if the ZIP works still, with the later ones needed by Adaptec/Roxio and DVD aps. But list's alien - my brain wants the Tree back.

Will have to read a bit further - it's a 32-bit ap but some of the connections to .zip and other compressors - appear to use .bat files (!!) and even some graphics viewers from XTG-3.0 Ummm.. Anyway for $30 -

Looks as if, when booted to DOS mode, I'd still need list.com -?- for messing with the \\sys items which are locked by share normally, with win.com running. Damn - pity that some X-Tree can't be kludged to work with long filenames and really run in DOS of the Windoze kind.

Guy says he wrote it in C, compiled via M$ C++ (w/o seeing X-Tree source!). A true fanatic.

Cheers,
A.
New Spinrite 2
Spinrite 2 worked fine if there was nothing wrong with the drive. If it found anything, it would stall right there, forever as far as I could tell.

When I complained they said they had an update to 2 that fixed the problem, but they wanted almost as much for the update as for the full program, so I declined and went back to Spinrite 1 for a couple of years.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Never mind: it's a ZopeDupe
Expand Edited by Missing User 70 Aug. 12, 2001, 02:46:07 AM EDT
     deleting hosed file - (boxley) - (54)
         Tried wildcards? - (Another Scott) - (1)
             rename doesnt work -NT - (boxley)
         Try this - (dpeterson) - (9)
             no joy access denied error -NT - (boxley) - (8)
                 Ok... - (bepatient) - (2)
                     nope tied to a reserved word (hardware) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                         Use a NT boot disk, - (DonRichards)
                 Alternately, the POSIX tools supposedly work... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     posix makes sense because to posix hardware - (boxley) - (2)
                         POSIX stuff here... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             More POSIX Stuff - (altmann)
                 A combined idea - (dpeterson)
         I always used a disk editor . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             wouldnt the HAL get in the way? - (boxley) - (2)
                 Tried CHKDSK? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     chkdsk - (boxley)
         more info - (boxley)
         Type "del com1" in google? - (tseliot) - (32)
             tried that - (boxley) - (31)
                 Put the filename in quotes. - (Another Scott)
                 Re: tried that - (a6l6e6x) - (25)
                     no joy -NT - (boxley) - (24)
                         How about del com* -NT - (static)
                         Hell, if you can Move it! - (Ashton) - (22)
                             cant move to another disk - (boxley) - (21)
                                 RIX (Radsoft) Diskview will do it.. - (Ashton) - (20)
                                     Good example of bad design. - (Andrew Grygus) - (14)
                                         *chuckle* - (imric) - (1)
                                             Now there's an LRPDism! -NT - (Steve Lowe)
                                         Hey I said the stuff seems to work, not - (Ashton) - (4)
                                             Xtree has been replaced. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                                 Re: Xtree has been replaced. Huzzah! - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                     Spinrite 2 - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                 Never mind: it's a ZopeDupe -NT - (Ashton)
                                         Yeah, industrial companies are even worse - (tonytib) - (6)
                                             try our advertising - (boxley) - (3)
                                                 OT. Say Box,... - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                                     Sorry neither name rings a bell - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         Thanks! It was just a wild shot. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                             That's what "List Price" is for. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                 Yeah, but most don't even give list price w/o calling - (tonytib)
                                     Here's a hint - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                         Thanks for that tip.. - (Ashton)
                                         FYI: Creating COM1 file - (dpeterson) - (2)
                                             Thanks. I will play on a non-critical partition :) -NT - (pwhysall)
                                             the double slash \\\\ fools NT into thinking - (boxley)
                 Trailing space - (qstephens) - (3)
                     tried no joy - (boxley) - (2)
                         Parse error. - (static) - (1)
                             thought so tried that as well as alt128 alt0 no joy -NT - (boxley)
         Re: deleting hosed file - (GBert) - (1)
             tried no joy -NT - (boxley)
         I'm confused. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             it is being resxolved by building a linux ftp server - (boxley)

Damn thing ate it's way out of the box it was in and lived in my closet for a month.
92 ms