IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Type "del com1" in google?
[link|http://www.njnet.edu.cn/info/ebook/os/windownt/wsuxafi.htm#E68E1|http://www.njnet.ed...fi.htm#E68E1]
That's her, officer! That's the woman that programmed me for evil!
New tried that
most pages report the \\\\.\\c:\\path\\com1 that doesnt work because of the trailing space.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New Put the filename in quotes.
Maybe that'll help.

e.g.

\\\\.\\c:\\path\\"com1 "

Maybe?

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: tried that
How about: del com1?
Alex

Only two things are certain: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not certain about the universe.
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
New no joy
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New How about del com*

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Hell, if you can Move it!
Move to another er partition: A: as in removable. :-\ufffd

I regularly used Norton to rewrite file, dir names in hex - for the occasional unerasables (sometimes created BY checkdisk, after a cross-linked file). No handy NT equivalents ??

Cannot believe there are no utils for such a widely used POS. Hmmmm know about Radsoft? The RIX utils? Many are NT- oriented (thus inapplicable to me). The others are quite useful for a variety of 9.x oriented tasks.

After all, for most super-users of M$: more than *half their aps* are about keeping the P-OS alive a bit longer. Really -- survey years ago.

Rick might even *make ya one* - it's his Thing. Prolly love the challenge:

[link|http://radsoft.net|http://radsoft.net]

(Or Steve Gibson - at the drive electronics level?) Mark that block BAD. <<<

Luck -

A.
New cant move to another disk
on a disk move is rename on another disk move is copy then delete.
Might just build a linux box and move all the other stuff then fdisk.
thanx,
bill
Chuck Palahniuk
New RIX (Radsoft) Diskview will do it..
Edit any partition or physical drive, save boot sector to a file, fancy Find etc. For NT as well.

Alas not free - package is 63 or so util. Each one a jewel and very compact.. (typ a few K to maybe 50K) the kind of util M$ couldn't write if they wanted to.. and, they don't. Customized .dll is copy control - it stays in own dir - there are NO Registry changes to use these tools, nor junk in \\sys or elsewhere than own directory.

Just used CIP - host file mgr. which makes trivial a lot of chores.. and goes through a 4 MB bookmark file in minutes - for the few you want in hosts.. (huge because the b/marks are a db of many items, not just the URLs).

Anyway- if ya do this a lot, might want to take a look at radsoft. Might could lend ya the one - as sample - all ethical and all.

Reminds me of Gibson's assy language work - and maybe it is in assembly ..

A.
New Good example of bad design.
To find out what the product costs you have to dig down several levels and actually enter the secure order form area.

The Web commerce industry is so concerned about why so many shopping carts are abandoned, but the truth is, on most sites you have no idea what the products really costs until you're at the cash register.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New *chuckle*
Heck, I won't buy anything in a 'real-world' store unless the price is clearly marked.

Why would anyone 'go to the register' in a virtual store to find out the price.

I guess stupidity is a way of life.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait

• Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
New Now there's an LRPDism!
-----
Steve
New Hey I said the stuff seems to work, not
that they knew anything about marketing to peculiar homo-saps ('peculiar' - by def'n, anyone who would want, could use such utils today, that is).

Hell, send 'em a note! You might well be heard immediately.. I just ordered on seeing a friend's demo and thinking that, if we don't support such efforts - we'll be left with only the Symantec Disneyland comic bloatware demos, a bowdlerized scan disk which reports Nothing!

and SpinRite.. for a while longer (until the few who understand its purpose and its cleverness - also are replaced with the latest crop of MCSE College of San Mateo 'certificants').

(I also *bought* XTree - then.. and in the CP/M days a clever program called Power! which was also way-smarter than the prevailing 'retype everything forever' mindset.)

Fight Dumbth: pay good authors for decent work, so they can eat. Today.

A.
New Xtree has been replaced.
[link|http://www.ztree.com/|ZTree] is available for 32-bit Windows and OS/2, and is much better than XTree Gold. At $30 it is clearly a "must have" (I have both Windows and OS/2 versions and use them incessently in-house and for field support). It is available from [link|http://www.bmtmicro.com/|BMT Micro].

Spinrite is, of course, a basic essential without which one cannot claim to be a competent technician (except version 2.0, which did not work (but cost as much as the versions that do work)).
New Re: Xtree has been replaced. Huzzah!
Heh - I think I skipped V2 of SpinRite - was that the one which took forever (as if it were counting Avogadro's number to make up 1 mol of domains?) I think he replaced it with 3.0 for free?

Thanks for ZTree link, bookmarked. I've been using list.com (just today - getting the &*#^*@# ancient .dlls from Iomega replaced with later.) So far, looks as if the ZIP works still, with the later ones needed by Adaptec/Roxio and DVD aps. But list's alien - my brain wants the Tree back.

Will have to read a bit further - it's a 32-bit ap but some of the connections to .zip and other compressors - appear to use .bat files (!!) and even some graphics viewers from XTG-3.0 Ummm.. Anyway for $30 -

Looks as if, when booted to DOS mode, I'd still need list.com -?- for messing with the \\sys items which are locked by share normally, with win.com running. Damn - pity that some X-Tree can't be kludged to work with long filenames and really run in DOS of the Windoze kind.

Guy says he wrote it in C, compiled via M$ C++ (w/o seeing X-Tree source!). A true fanatic.

Cheers,
A.
New Spinrite 2
Spinrite 2 worked fine if there was nothing wrong with the drive. If it found anything, it would stall right there, forever as far as I could tell.

When I complained they said they had an update to 2 that fixed the problem, but they wanted almost as much for the update as for the full program, so I declined and went back to Spinrite 1 for a couple of years.
New Never mind: it's a ZopeDupe
Expand Edited by Missing User 70 Aug. 12, 2001, 02:46:07 AM EDT
New Yeah, industrial companies are even worse
Many of them still seem to think their pricing should be a big secret. Well, as more and more engineers use the Internet for product selection, it's not going to help them at all. I don't really care about exact pricing, but ball park figures; for example, if I'm looking at omnidirectional barcode readers (which I will be if one project comes through), I don't care if it's $1800 or $1850, but I do care if it's $10,000 -- that's way over the budget.

The industrial companies that best "get" the internet seem to be the semiconductor companies and distributors; for example, I can search Arrow or Avnet Marshall and not only come up with prices, but also quantities in stock and sometimes other info such as lead times.

Realtors are another bad group -- they never want to give out price or location; that's why the on-line databases are so great (and still so depressing in the Bay Area).

Another pet peeve of mine is companies that are so caught up with marketing and "branding" and the latest special deal that they never clearly explain what they have to offer, and what it costs (AT&T is especially bad about this; every time I try to check out their services, e.g. web access or long distance -- I can't find out what they're really offering).

Tony
New try our advertising
we have a spinning globe(now thats original) movies being piped here and yon with no descritions of how or how much. our web sites are are better. We have a billboard on the way to work that shows a bunch of people all linked together with the words convergence in bold letter. Unless you take the time to stop on the freeway and use binoculars you wouldnt know to goto www.sieweb.com(me actually they are www.siemens.com)
thanx,
bill
Chuck Palahniuk
New OT. Say Box,...
In your travels within the company in your neck of the woods, have you by any chance run into a tech named Dave Michalak? Hasn't been Siemens all that long. Came from Honeywell.

Also, any chance you would know Muriel and Jerry Oxer (husband and wife) that used to live in Charlotte, but retired to Hendersonville, NC?

I have heard that with at most 5 intervening people one can connect any two individuals on earth. Just trying it with one. :)
Alex

New Sorry neither name rings a bell
I am in the telecomms portion of the biz. NC has the corning/siemens fiber plant. If dave came from honeywell he prolly went into Siemens Controls.
thanx,
bill
Chuck Palahniuk
New Thanks! It was just a wild shot.
Alex

New That's what "List Price" is for.
Nobody buys anything at list, but it gives you a pretty good "will be less than" number. A wise company will make a statement like, "$800 list price (see your distributor for actual price)".
New Yeah, but most don't even give list price w/o calling
I'm talking about industrial barcode readers (I'm going to have to call most of the manufacturers to find out what their omnidirectional models cost), motors, stages, PLC's, sensors, etc.

It's slowly improving, helped by the Internet and companies like Automation Direct and National Instruments that give ALL their prices on the web, w/o needing a shopping cart -- but also let you order on line.

Semiconductor companies are sometimes bad about this too, but some are like TI,which is very good about giving reference prices (typically for 1,000 units! But this gives you a good enough idea of the cost in smaller or larger quantities).

Tony
New Here's a hint
Unless you really, REALLY know what you're doing, don't go ANYWHERE near an NTFS volume with a sector editor.

NTFS is a proper filing system, with all sorts of things you didn't know it had, like streams, metadata journalling, per-file compression, encryption, hidden files and all sorts of other horrors. It's not terribly well documented, natch.

It's not FAT16 with long filenames and permissions, that's fer shure.

Fix the problem with the tools at hand - that's CHKDSK, basically.

If it were me? Well, firstly I'd be seriously fascinated as to how such a file could come into existence and some serious poring over the system logs would be done. (I had a brief play with this - I *could not* create a file anywhere in my filesystems called "COM1", either from an application or the command line).

Then I'd back up the volume with the exception of that one file, format it, and restore.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Thanks for that tip..
I missed Bill's later comment that it was NTFS (though I don't know fersure how ept are RIX tools - nor if they apply only to NT on FAT, and would automatically abort re NTFS)

Anyway - I hadn't realized that NTFS was both that 'rich' / complex and er.. undocumented. At least I know now, why never to 'try' from naive sector-fix results for FAT :[

A.
waiting for charm + color to be added to 'bits' - for 3D holographic storage of files with smells and angst
New FYI: Creating COM1 file
I had a brief play with this - I *could not* create a file anywhere in my filesystems called "COM1", either from an application or the command line

"dir > \\\\.\\c:\\temp\\com1"

Using the "\\\\" let me create "com1" files and variations.
Darryl A. Peterson

I'm not as funny as I think I am.
New Thanks. I will play on a non-critical partition :)
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New the double slash \\\\ fools NT into thinking
it is another machine so dont check for local reserved names. Delete should work except that it is not "com1" it is "com1 " and del doesnt understand the space and wildcards cant catch it either.
Will be creating a linux box s I can have a useful ftp server that doesnt need to be patched every week. Also anon will be locked out. Unfortunate for the customers but convenience of not remembering passwords is less than the unconvenience of french people using your hard drive for their nefarious french designs. :)
thanx,
bill
Chuck Palahniuk
New Trailing space
Are you sure it's a trailing space (0x20) and not a trailing blank (0xFF)?

At a command line, try del /f "com1[alt+255]"
qts
New tried no joy
del /f "com1[alt+255]" returns cant find file com1[alt+255] as if the brackets are being interpreted literally also same result without the quotes ls -lb shows com1\\ should show an octal value for the trailing space.
thanx,
bill
Chuck Palahniuk
New Parse error.
He meant type c o m 1 hold-alt-type-2-5-5-on-the-numpad-release-alt. Really old trick for entering any character if you know it's ASCII code.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New thought so tried that as well as alt128 alt0 no joy
Chuck Palahniuk
     deleting hosed file - (boxley) - (54)
         Tried wildcards? - (Another Scott) - (1)
             rename doesnt work -NT - (boxley)
         Try this - (dpeterson) - (9)
             no joy access denied error -NT - (boxley) - (8)
                 Ok... - (bepatient) - (2)
                     nope tied to a reserved word (hardware) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                         Use a NT boot disk, - (DonRichards)
                 Alternately, the POSIX tools supposedly work... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     posix makes sense because to posix hardware - (boxley) - (2)
                         POSIX stuff here... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             More POSIX Stuff - (altmann)
                 A combined idea - (dpeterson)
         I always used a disk editor . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             wouldnt the HAL get in the way? - (boxley) - (2)
                 Tried CHKDSK? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     chkdsk - (boxley)
         more info - (boxley)
         Type "del com1" in google? - (tseliot) - (32)
             tried that - (boxley) - (31)
                 Put the filename in quotes. - (Another Scott)
                 Re: tried that - (a6l6e6x) - (25)
                     no joy -NT - (boxley) - (24)
                         How about del com* -NT - (static)
                         Hell, if you can Move it! - (Ashton) - (22)
                             cant move to another disk - (boxley) - (21)
                                 RIX (Radsoft) Diskview will do it.. - (Ashton) - (20)
                                     Good example of bad design. - (Andrew Grygus) - (14)
                                         *chuckle* - (imric) - (1)
                                             Now there's an LRPDism! -NT - (Steve Lowe)
                                         Hey I said the stuff seems to work, not - (Ashton) - (4)
                                             Xtree has been replaced. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                                 Re: Xtree has been replaced. Huzzah! - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                     Spinrite 2 - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                 Never mind: it's a ZopeDupe -NT - (Ashton)
                                         Yeah, industrial companies are even worse - (tonytib) - (6)
                                             try our advertising - (boxley) - (3)
                                                 OT. Say Box,... - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                                     Sorry neither name rings a bell - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         Thanks! It was just a wild shot. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                             That's what "List Price" is for. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                 Yeah, but most don't even give list price w/o calling - (tonytib)
                                     Here's a hint - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                         Thanks for that tip.. - (Ashton)
                                         FYI: Creating COM1 file - (dpeterson) - (2)
                                             Thanks. I will play on a non-critical partition :) -NT - (pwhysall)
                                             the double slash \\\\ fools NT into thinking - (boxley)
                 Trailing space - (qstephens) - (3)
                     tried no joy - (boxley) - (2)
                         Parse error. - (static) - (1)
                             thought so tried that as well as alt128 alt0 no joy -NT - (boxley)
         Re: deleting hosed file - (GBert) - (1)
             tried no joy -NT - (boxley)
         I'm confused. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             it is being resxolved by building a linux ftp server - (boxley)