IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Can a Mixie compete with a Blender for making smoothies?
The Blendtec blender my wife uses to make smoothies has a blade who's spinning tip approaches 300 mph. When fresh pineapple is used in the smoothie, the pineapple core is left on the pineapple pieces.

When occasionally used to make to make soup, the friction of the blade with the ingredients makes he soup hot.

The container is about half a gallon.

I would say your blender is just a different tool. That's like I have a coffee grinder to grind coffee beans.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Then wouldn't it make the smoothie hot?
--

Drew
New Takes 50s for a smoothie, 8 minutes for soup.
I've never noticed any heating of the smoothies.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Right!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Well, at its top speed . . .
. . the Mixie runs a little less RPMs than a blender - but the blades are over twice as long, so tip speed may be even higher. I'm no smoothie expert, but I'd be surprised if it took 50 seconds. I guess I'll have to make one "for science".

Yes, it does heat what it grinds or blends, you can't apply that much wattage to grinding something without it heating it.

Incidentally, to grind 1/2 cup of garam masala fine from whole spices, including cloves, whole cardamom pods and cinnamon stick** takes it about 3 seconds.

** That's real Cinnamon, not the Cassia Bark called "Cinnamon" north of the Mexican border. It may take another second for Cassia.
New Ooh, now I want one
Or at least I want to see video of head-to-head comparison of the contenders.
--

Drew
New If I was still playing with DMT I would.
If you Google Mimosa hostilis you will see that it is a root of a particular tree that is sold on the web.

Note: I'd love to play with it but only if I lived in a state where it was legal. I've been damaged way too much. I've learned my lesson.

So in order to extract DMT from the root bark you have to grind that down to a powder. I burned out multiple blenders in the process. They are not built to grind root bark.

Now that I see the alternatives that are possible someday in the future in a legal state I might enjoy that again.
New you need to move to oregon
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Yeah, they're following the Portugal route
Basically stop demonizing everything, if you get caught with drugs they feed you into a psychological evaluation. Then they try to funnel you into a rehabilitation program if they feel you're an addict.

Which means the 90% of us who dabble in various substances won't be destroyed by being arrested. We'd pay a $25 to $100 ticket if we were silly enough to get caught. We'd have to put up with an occasional hi how you doing interview.

Spoken as someone with a felony for a substance they are now showing to be beneficial.
New Smoothie Test
I found most smoothie recipes are not practical for me as I don't store fruits and vegetables in the freezer compartment, and I don't have on hand many of the "Health" ingredients the recipes call for.

But, I froze two bananas and did this one: two frozen bananas, a cup of fresh pineapple chunks, and a cup of coconut milk. It took 90 seconds to liquidate all trace of the pineapple. I consider this acceptable performance.

On the other hand, I do have about 3 pounds of jackfruit arils in the freezer and have been wondering what to do with them. This could be a solution.

As for stuff I actually need, performance is outstanding, and the lightweight Mixie cans are easy to handle, easy to clean, and their width lets you get at the ingredients easily. Having them in three sizes is really convenient.

Last night I used the small can to grate 1/2 of a coconut. It yielded 1 cup of perfectly grated coconut in 2-1/2 seconds, at its lowest speed. Yes, I confirmed that timing with the second half.
     Mixie - (Andrew Grygus) - (20)
         Typo - (drook)
         Dupe - (drook)
         Tall jug-type blenders aren't that popular here - (pwhysall)
         Which blender do you have? - (malraux) - (6)
             The one I have is a Waring. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 You can definitely puree a saucepan of soup in this. - (malraux) - (4)
                     I prefer an immersion blender, don't like the thought of pouring hot soup - (drook)
                     With what? -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         The Vitamix. -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                             Nope, not for me . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Re: Can a Mixie compete with a Blender for making smoothies? - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
             Then wouldn't it make the smoothie hot? -NT - (drook) - (2)
                 Takes 50s for a smoothie, 8 minutes for soup. - (malraux) - (1)
                     Right! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Well, at its top speed . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 Ooh, now I want one - (drook) - (3)
                     If I was still playing with DMT I would. - (crazy) - (2)
                         you need to move to oregon - (boxley) - (1)
                             Yeah, they're following the Portugal route - (crazy)
             Smoothie Test - (Andrew Grygus)

Never date a Psych major.
112 ms