IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Mixie
I never liked blenders - they seemed way too limited, just good for smoothies and other very liquid applications, and really noisy. I never used my blender much. Now, it's gone into storage - replaced by a far more capable machine, an Indian Mixie.

Mixie
New Typo
Granite mortar page: easy cllean-up

Copyright page: Dremstime
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Nov. 13, 2020, 01:44:08 AM EST
New Dupe
Granite mortar page: easy cllean-up

Copyright page: Dremstime
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Nov. 13, 2020, 01:43:47 AM EST
New Tall jug-type blenders aren't that popular here
Most people have food processors where the receptacle has a wide, flat base, and can take multiple attachments and blades. I usually use the blade in mine, but it's got a grater, a slicer, a herb mill, a juicer (!), a mixer (for nothing more resistant than egg whites, tbh) and a weird wavy plastic disc thing, with which you apparently can make mayonnaise.

It has a tall blender-type jug too, but I never use it.
New Which blender do you have?
Ours gets used at least once a day because I do drink smoothies. The maker of the blender matters; our Vitamix will make soup, dry grind, and liquify things within an inch of their lives. We use the food processor for things that would need a wide base.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New The one I have is a Waring.
As I recall, Vitamix is rather pricy, and I don't do smoothies, ever. The shape of a blender jar is just unsuited to most of the things I do.

For things like Idli / Dosa batter, a food processor is useless - it can't get the batter anywhere near smooth. I have a heavy duty KitchenAid, which gets used 2 to 3 times a year. It got fabulous reviews, but is almost worthless to me because it's acceptable liquid level is much too shallow. You can't purée a saucepan of soup in it. I guess people use it mostly for shredding salads and the like. It's a bear to get out to the counter.

The thing I use almost daily is a whirling blade spice grinder, which gets permanent counter space. It has limitations in capacity, and can't handle anything with the slightest bit of oil.

The item that gets used several times a week is the Mini-Prep processor. Very good for many small things, and very easy to get out to the counter and easy to clean, but useless on spices and also can't handle anything dry with the slightest bit of oil.

Another thing that gets permanent counter space is the Coffee Grinder - Cuisinart, and it's fabulous. Grinds very fast, not too noisy, and never gets coffee grounds on the counter.

Also with permanent counter space is a big lift bowl KitchenAid mixer, basically a mini-Hobart, and over 40 years old now. It isn't used that often, but when it's needed there is no substitute. It also has a drum type slicer-grater, a heavy duty meat grinder (better than the KitchenAid one) and a Grain Grinder. The old KitchenAid grain grinder was useless, but the new one is quite good.

The big granite mortar with it's 3 pound pestle still gets plenty of use. There are things machines just don't do well enough, and they are a lot harder to clean. I confess though, that for some difficult items, I first run them in the Mini-Prep, then transfer them to the mortar for finishing. Saves a lot of pounding time.
New You can definitely puree a saucepan of soup in this.
And if you want it will heat the soup up for you as well.

It's pricey but we've already gotten our money's worth from it. I was going through a Ninja every 6 months or so because I wore them out.
Regards,
-scott
New I prefer an immersion blender, don't like the thought of pouring hot soup
Although if I can cook in it I might try it.
--

Drew
New With what?
New The Vitamix.
Regards,
-scott
New Nope, not for me . . .
. . I'm very fussy about exact textures. Blending for a few seconds may be good for a base purée, but heating in a blender? Blending for 8 minutes or more? Nothing I'd be interested in.

That would be totally out of control. I rarely use a food processor for chopping, because by time they get stuff chopped evenly, it's chopped way too fine.
New Re: Can a Mixie compete with a Blender for making smoothies?
The Blendtec blender my wife uses to make smoothies has a blade who's spinning tip approaches 300 mph. When fresh pineapple is used in the smoothie, the pineapple core is left on the pineapple pieces.

When occasionally used to make to make soup, the friction of the blade with the ingredients makes he soup hot.

The container is about half a gallon.

I would say your blender is just a different tool. That's like I have a coffee grinder to grind coffee beans.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Then wouldn't it make the smoothie hot?
--

Drew
New Takes 50s for a smoothie, 8 minutes for soup.
I've never noticed any heating of the smoothies.
Regards,
-scott
New Right!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Well, at its top speed . . .
. . the Mixie runs a little less RPMs than a blender - but the blades are over twice as long, so tip speed may be even higher. I'm no smoothie expert, but I'd be surprised if it took 50 seconds. I guess I'll have to make one "for science".

Yes, it does heat what it grinds or blends, you can't apply that much wattage to grinding something without it heating it.

Incidentally, to grind 1/2 cup of garam masala fine from whole spices, including cloves, whole cardamom pods and cinnamon stick** takes it about 3 seconds.

** That's real Cinnamon, not the Cassia Bark called "Cinnamon" north of the Mexican border. It may take another second for Cassia.
New Ooh, now I want one
Or at least I want to see video of head-to-head comparison of the contenders.
--

Drew
New If I was still playing with DMT I would.
If you Google Mimosa hostilis you will see that it is a root of a particular tree that is sold on the web.

Note: I'd love to play with it but only if I lived in a state where it was legal. I've been damaged way too much. I've learned my lesson.

So in order to extract DMT from the root bark you have to grind that down to a powder. I burned out multiple blenders in the process. They are not built to grind root bark.

Now that I see the alternatives that are possible someday in the future in a legal state I might enjoy that again.
New you need to move to oregon
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Yeah, they're following the Portugal route
Basically stop demonizing everything, if you get caught with drugs they feed you into a psychological evaluation. Then they try to funnel you into a rehabilitation program if they feel you're an addict.

Which means the 90% of us who dabble in various substances won't be destroyed by being arrested. We'd pay a $25 to $100 ticket if we were silly enough to get caught. We'd have to put up with an occasional hi how you doing interview.

Spoken as someone with a felony for a substance they are now showing to be beneficial.
New Smoothie Test
I found most smoothie recipes are not practical for me as I don't store fruits and vegetables in the freezer compartment, and I don't have on hand many of the "Health" ingredients the recipes call for.

But, I froze two bananas and did this one: two frozen bananas, a cup of fresh pineapple chunks, and a cup of coconut milk. It took 90 seconds to liquidate all trace of the pineapple. I consider this acceptable performance.

On the other hand, I do have about 3 pounds of jackfruit arils in the freezer and have been wondering what to do with them. This could be a solution.

As for stuff I actually need, performance is outstanding, and the lightweight Mixie cans are easy to handle, easy to clean, and their width lets you get at the ingredients easily. Having them in three sizes is really convenient.

Last night I used the small can to grate 1/2 of a coconut. It yielded 1 cup of perfectly grated coconut in 2-1/2 seconds, at its lowest speed. Yes, I confirmed that timing with the second half.
     Mixie - (Andrew Grygus) - (20)
         Typo - (drook)
         Dupe - (drook)
         Tall jug-type blenders aren't that popular here - (pwhysall)
         Which blender do you have? - (malraux) - (6)
             The one I have is a Waring. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 You can definitely puree a saucepan of soup in this. - (malraux) - (4)
                     I prefer an immersion blender, don't like the thought of pouring hot soup - (drook)
                     With what? -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         The Vitamix. -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                             Nope, not for me . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Re: Can a Mixie compete with a Blender for making smoothies? - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
             Then wouldn't it make the smoothie hot? -NT - (drook) - (2)
                 Takes 50s for a smoothie, 8 minutes for soup. - (malraux) - (1)
                     Right! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Well, at its top speed . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 Ooh, now I want one - (drook) - (3)
                     If I was still playing with DMT I would. - (crazy) - (2)
                         you need to move to oregon - (boxley) - (1)
                             Yeah, they're following the Portugal route - (crazy)
             Smoothie Test - (Andrew Grygus)

Innovation from the rear again.
96 ms