IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You're not helping yourself getting your back up about this.
I can empathize to a degree as I am in a somewhat similar position. I'm old; 65 next month, and I still have to work (more to keep me sane, although we still need the income.) I've had to bend and compromise to keep employed. The work I do usually requires me NOT to use my own computer, but then, I don't work entirely remotely. I just started a new gig a few weeks ago. Curiously, the machine they issued me had business skype on it, but it didn't have a VM for the Linux or Visual Studio (or any windows programming editors). I've been working with putty and SSH. Is it wonderful? No, but it keeps Alzheimer away and the dogs fed...
If your anger about your situation is more important than your ongoing well being, then you're on the right track. If your ambition is future happiness, you might loosen up a bit and consider: "A $20 camera and a minor pain in my ass vs. a potential good future? Might be worth it."
If it isn't worth it to you, your job situation is not your biggest problem.
Just my $0.02 if it's worth that much.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Well said. Hang in there.
     Just got bitched at by a dothead recruiter - (lincoln) - (53)
         got a camera on my laptop, it is covered and taped up -NT - (boxley)
         Pick your battles. - (Another Scott) - (12)
             this was for a telephone interview - (lincoln) - (11)
                 You're causing unnecessary problems for yourself. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                     Re: You're causing unnecessary problems for yourself. - (lincoln) - (9)
                         You're picking a tiny hill to die on. Your choice, but think about it some more. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             So translating your attitude - (lincoln) - (3)
                                 If you're trying to interview - (malraux)
                                 You want another machine? - (Another Scott)
                                 I use the cheapest laptop available from walmart $239 or less usually an hp - (boxley)
                         Re: You're causing unnecessary problems for yourself. - (pwhysall)
                         You're not helping yourself getting your back up about this. - (hnick) - (1)
                             Well said. Hang in there. -NT - (Another Scott)
                         I use Skype. - (static)
         Get both. - (pwhysall) - (38)
             Really? How? - (lincoln) - (37)
                 You're thinking as a "programmer", not a "developer" - (pwhysall) - (36)
                     If you are doing Agile (or abortions thereoff) - (boxley) - (35)
                         And releasing tons of buggy code, iteratively. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                         I was doing all that years before - (lincoln) - (33)
                             Re: I was doing all that years before - (pwhysall) - (32)
                                 Re: I was doing all that years before - (lincoln) - (13)
                                     Re: I was doing all that years before - (malraux) - (5)
                                         Re: I was doing all that years before - (lincoln) - (4)
                                             Development is more than just the code - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 How often do you attend these meetings - (lincoln) - (1)
                                                     Stop right there. - (pwhysall)
                                             Because being a developer requires communication. - (malraux)
                                     Oh, I'm pretty sure - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                         I would never hire you - (lincoln) - (4)
                                             Re: I would never hire you - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                 Amen to that. - (malraux) - (2)
                                                     same in my current shop, I can train anyone to do this - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         Yep. -NT - (malraux)
                                     several places I have worked at required me to supply my laptop - (boxley)
                                 I am amazed it took this long into the thread - (crazy) - (17)
                                     It went over my head. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         Nope, it's pretty offensive. -NT - (malraux)
                                         Christ! Me, too. Completely missed it. Thought it was a reference to "dot Net" -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                     "This long into the thread" - (malraux)
                                     The "dothead" escaped me - (pwhysall) - (12)
                                         Makes sense - (crazy) - (11)
                                             Either that or ... - (drook) - (10)
                                                 There was a band that took their name from it - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                     What's their point? - (drook) - (2)
                                                         Dunno, tbh. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                         Re: Does Sri Lanka have some great reputation? - (a6l6e6x)
                                                 I've heard this one, too. - (mmoffitt)
                                                 It is nowadays, and his name is Apu. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                     What a strange thread to reappear in... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                         It has its own logic. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                             A quite Jungian synchronicity, too - (Ashton)
                                                         Re: Howdy, stranger! - (a6l6e6x)

That's the kind of brilliant thinking that propelled you onto public access.
71 ms