All of these tools were used to keep me in contact with business people (the source of requirements, without which you have nothing to develop), my employees, my managers, and other developers. As someone else pointed out, there's much more to development beyond slinging code.

At one of my previous jobs the Head of Technology (my manager) had to occasionally travel for more than a few days at a time. He held his meetings over Skype, and we were glad to have the face-to-face time with him instead of a phone call or email. At another job we used Lync to communicate with a designer located in another state. At yet another job I had a number of meetings with vendors and engineers via Webex. At my current job we occasionally have stand-ups using Hangouts or HipChat when one of my team can't make it into the office.

And I don't know how to answer "how did you use these on your home computer"... I installed them, I clicked the icon, I signed in, I used them. I suspect that's not the thrust of your question, however.

I'm a Head of Technology, Lincoln. I've been a Chief Software Architect twice, a development manager, and a lead software engineer. Currently I still architect and code in addition to my managerial and operational duties. Anyone I was considering hiring who complained about having to install communication software would quickly be branded as someone who was difficult to work with and a probable disruptive employee.

You might take the advice of someone who has been in both your position as well as the position of the people you would like to hire you. Just a thought.