IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Counterpoint.
TarheelDem:

A lot of those poor Southern whites were conscripted in 1863 and 1864, states sent out bounty hunters for draft-dodgers. By 1863, the planters were figuring out how to send other recruits in place of their offspring.

All of my ancestors in the Civil War but one were conscripted. That one was out by 1862 and never went back but was the most patriotic Confederate veteran ever. The brother of my great grandfather is reported to have hidden out in the Pee Dee swamps to avoid conscription. Another tale is that he wasn't conscripted, but he was hiding out because a local rich guy wanted to send him in place of his son.

It's much to late to know motives of poor whites in the Civil War. And after the war, they never could be honest about what they actually thought; night riders could be touchy about that sort of honesty.

That reminds me of a (poorly remembered) story my great aunt told about one of her close relatives (father?) who fought on the Union side. They were from Ohio or Indiana. He was just a kid, got signed up by his parents (IIRC), but dutifully sent his meager pay home. When he got out of the Army he returned to find that they had spent all the money.

Some related stories (, perhaps by a relative?,) are here.

It's hard to generalize from anecdotal stories, no matter how interesting.

Cheers,
Scott.
New stand watie was neither white or conscripted
there is a reason that the us army all volunteer during the heavy fighting in Baghdad were volunteers from appalachia. A per capita ration much higher than the rest of the USA. Im sure during the battle of Kings Mountain a few of the fighters against the british shirked their duties, but they were in the minority.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Neither was Ely Parker.
Ely S. Parker:

Ely Samuel Parker (1828 – August 31, 1895), (born Hasanoanda, later known as Donehogawa) was a Seneca attorney, engineer, and tribal diplomat. He was commissioned a lieutenant colonel during the American Civil War, when he served as adjutant to General Ulysses S. Grant. He wrote the final draft of the Confederate surrender terms at Appomattox. Later in his career, Parker rose to the rank of Brevet Brigadier General, one of only two Native Americans to earn a general's rank during the war (the other being Stand Watie, who fought for the Confederacy). President Grant appointed him as Commissioner of Indian Affairs, the first Native American to hold that post.

Tennessee is called the Volunteer State for several reasons, one of which is that it sent more than its share to fight in the War of 1812.

The military is often a way for people in poor areas to climb up the economic ladder.

Ranking patriotism is tough.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
     hey, mmoffitt - (rcareaga) - (38)
         why the kid was following california chuck's play wasnt he? not confederate at all - (boxley) - (11)
             sorry forgot an ob "can you dig it" -NT - (boxley)
             THAT was one of your poorest trolls EVER -NT - (hnick) - (9)
                 not a troll. A manson wannabee by his own words -NT - (boxley) - (8)
                     O...M...G - (hnick) - (7)
                         Re: O...M...G - (boxley) - (6)
                             Re: O...M...G - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                 edit adding another link - (boxley) - (3)
                                     Oooh. Quantum entaglement. I'm convinced. ;-) Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         thought you would like them :-) -NT - (boxley)
                                     Mr. Illuminati Guy seems sharp enough.. - (Ashton)
                             Not precisely the same - (hnick)
         Nothing at all. - (malraux)
         Soldiers aren't Politicians. - (mmoffitt) - (24)
             FWIW - (drook) - (7)
                 There's that oversimplification again. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                     Indiana is still "the South" as far as I'm concerned. - (malraux) - (5)
                         when did indiana seceed from the union? "Michissippi indeed - (boxley) - (3)
                             Talking about my experience. - (malraux) - (2)
                                 so hick and backwards michigan is south? sounds like yankee privilege :-) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                     NFC what you mean. - (malraux)
                         Well, maybe you're "polite company." ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Kerry Reid would like a word. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                 As I hope you know, I do not support religious symbols on government property. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                     People are taught how to hate. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                         yup taught indeed -NT - (boxley)
                         What would you say to Edgerton and the Hervey brothers? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                             No real distribution is an ideal gaussian. There are always outliers. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 The victors always write the history books. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                     Another good book, mentioned here before. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         lets not leave out the californians - (boxley)
                             Read "Uncle Tom's Cabin"! - (a6l6e6x)
                         All definitively covered in 'South Pacific' - (Ashton) - (2)
                             Yup. That song was in the back of my head writing my comment. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Alas.. 'information technology' guarantees that exp-increasing Noise is easier and cheaper - (Ashton)
             Counterpoint. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 stand watie was neither white or conscripted - (boxley) - (1)
                     Neither was Ely Parker. - (Another Scott)

Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war!
104 ms