IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New State Department.
As far as I know, my father was the first American ever allowed to attend Moscow State University. I know he was offered a position with the CIA around that time because I remember eavesdropping on a conversation my mother and he had about then. She was adamantly against it and he didn't take it.

Why we were there in 1969 was that my father worked as a guide on an exhibit sponsored by the State Department. It's the "Education USA" exhibit listed for 1969-1970 here: http://www.state.gov.../ci/rs/c26473.htm

We didn't stay for the second half because of my mother. My dad had actually arranged for me to continue on with another guide, but my mother would not tolerate that. My brother and I both wanted to stay. We actually cried when we were told we had to go back to America.
New I'd love to compare the books
That post about the test in the SC grade school has me thinking about textbooks again. Years ago someone pointed out how math books will have titles like "Math" or "Beginning Algebra", chemistry books will have titles like "Introduction to Chemistry" or "Chemical Concepts", but history books have titles like "The American Century" or "Manifest Destiny".

I'd love to see the titles of the books they were using in Moscow in the late 60s.
--

Drew
New When I get back down there, assuming no theft...
My old school books were up at my late father's place. I'll try to find them the next time I head down there.
     New NSA fun! - (rcareaga) - (28)
         Re: New NSA fun! - (Another Scott) - (23)
             It is their mission - (rcareaga) - (22)
                 Yes. - (Another Scott) - (21)
                     More revealing of our predicament, I think - (Ashton) - (3)
                         We're just going round and round. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             Yes 'NSA" could be a straw-man or, a 'straw dog' horror-show - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 It's right to be concerned; always gotta watch the watchers. - (Another Scott)
                     Slightly OT re "going on since before I was born". - (mmoffitt) - (16)
                         I have met a few of thiose in my time - (boxley)
                         No. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                             State Department. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                 I'd love to compare the books - (drook) - (1)
                                     When I get back down there, assuming no theft... - (mmoffitt)
                             as someone - (crazy) - (1)
                                 Anticipated.. in spirit of camaraderie, I nominate an anthem - (Ashton)
                         Finding the microphones - (rcareaga) - (8)
                             :-) - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                 oh yeah, Fallows and frogs - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                     I know, I know. It just made me laugh, that's all. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                 Bonus! .. a link there to PK's prescient opus of 7-13-09 - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     He was too optimistic there, for once. :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
                             We always found some. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                 Fun with (for) eavesdroppers - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                     While my Russki is beyond-rusty, didn't they have an Org - (Ashton)
         they are hoovering a small amount of messgae traffic - (boxley)
         Obummer's speech today. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Good speech - (hnick)
             This may be one of the clearer outlines of the nested - (Ashton)

The spice must flow.
45 ms