IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'll ask directly, then
First, as to this: "Palin, in the debates, was much more cogent on the role and showed a pretty clear understanding." Having a better answer several days later, after you've been coached, doesn't count. Ref "I'll have to get back to ya."

Now, directly, do you believe Palin was referencing the historical role of the Vice President, and possibly suggesting a return to that, when she said the VP was in charge? I'm not asking what various historians and pundits have said the role was and could be. I'm asking what do you think she meant.

Because that's what I've been talking about this whole time. I don't think she knew what she was talking about. I think she was wrong and got lucky. What do you think she meant?
--

Drew
New Answered once below, here again
I think she used a poor choice of words to translate President of the Senate into plain speak...as "in charge of".

Constitutionally that's the ONLY defined role. Meaning her critics saying she doesn't understand the constitutional role are the ones that are incorrect. If they came back with she doesn't understand the current role, that's a better criticism...but you can't determine from the one sentence of that indeed was an issue.

IN ADDITION, since you bring up coaching...aren't all her critics saying that she refused all coaching? (part of the whole not knowing NAFTA and Africa is a country furor)? So if she wasn't paying attention to the coaches, maybe her debate answer is actually her own?

New And the rest?
You focus on "in charge of" and make a lawyerly, technical defense.

What about "if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes"? What does she mean by that? And is it an accurate description of the VP's job? Does it reflect powers the VP currently wields under existing Senate rules?
--

Drew
New What's to stop it?
There are no rules to limit the VP's ability to work with senators in this manner.
New Further
I actually >do< think that McCain intended to have his administration more involved in House and Senate activities than probably any administration in the past 40 years as part of his effort to "clean up Washington"...and as such do believe that Palin would have, more than any other VP in modern history, spent time in the Senate oversight role and spend time "working with Senators" to get changes to ethics rules, campaign finance rules and alot of other things that need fixed.

I'm hoping that Obama and his staff commit to doing the same thing. It needs to be done.
New This prevents it
http://www.senate.go...s/pdf/RL30945.pdf

"The Vice President of the United States is the Senate’s official presiding officer
(formally, “President of the Senate”), as provided in Article I of the Constitution"

And this:

"Since the Senate’s official presiding officer is not a member of the body, the
presiding officer position does not have the same powers to control floor proceedings
as those held by the Speaker of the House. The Senate’s presiding officer may speak
only if granted permission to do so by the unanimous consent of the membership, and
he may vote (as noted above) only to break a tie."

So no, the VP has no power to influence the Senate due to his position as the President of the Senate. Is he able to work with senators? Absolutely. As can the chief of staff, legislative aides, lobbyists ... Point is, being the President of the Senate grants exactly one power: the tie-breaking vote.

"... do believe that Palin would have, more than any other VP in modern history, spent time in the Senate oversight role ..."

What oversight role? I'll answer for you: there is none.

And ... what evidence do you have of this belief? "... as part of his effort to "clean up Washington" ..."

Is that it? Because you believe that working closely with the Senate is necessary to clean up Washington, that must be what she was referring to?
--

Drew
New Fine
She's an idiot.

And yes, whoever is in that office and in the office of President is going to have to be more closely aligned with the legislators to clean house in Washington. Laws need to be passed to do this. It can't all be done with a veto pen.
New But that's not the VP's job.
The question was:

http://thinkprogress.../palin-vp-senate/

Q: Brandon Garcia wants to know, “What does the Vice President do?”

PALIN: That’s something that Piper would ask me! … [T]hey’re in charge of the U.S. Senate so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom.

"... so if they want to ..."

Her answer is just wrong on so many levels...

Your spin on her answer would apply to almost anyone in the Administration - "I'm the Assistant to the Deputy Assistant Undersecretary of State for Water Resources in Upper Volta. I work with senators to make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better..." :-/

That's not her job as VP. Her job in the Senate as VP is to break ties on the floor.

Or she could be correct and say, "The VP helps the President." and elaborate on that based on work in the Executive Branch.

The VP doesn't "get in there with the senators and ..." any more than the Assistant does - and in fact less that person does since the VP almost never testifies before the Senate.

Cheers,
Scott.
New she should have just said run the country like cheney does
what will biden's job be
depends?
Jay mentioned that he could be a facilitator between legislative and the president
cant happen according to you
New Readme in my posts.
:-)

It wasn't a hard question. She should have been able to answer it, not go off on some tangent about getting in there with the senators and being all mavericky and such like.

You betcha.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Palin on Africa as a country. - (Another Scott) - (61)
         teh funnay, and the true beleivers bought it :-) -NT - (boxley) - (49)
             Of course they did - (beepster) - (46)
                 It got traction because it was almost believable... -NT - (Another Scott) - (45)
                     Depending on your starting point, I guess - (beepster) - (44)
                         Dunno. - (Another Scott) - (43)
                             oh for Obama's sake - (boxley) - (42)
                                 Uhh ... - (drook) - (40)
                                     That reminds me... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Re: That reminds me... Berkeley Breathed employed said - (Ashton)
                                     On Senate role - (beepster) - (37)
                                         Evidence, please. - (Another Scott)
                                         You being facetious? - (drook) - (26)
                                             Re: You being facetious? - (beepster) - (25)
                                                 You're doing it again - (drook) - (11)
                                                     Your taking it as insult is not my problem - (beepster) - (10)
                                                         I'll ask directly, then - (drook) - (9)
                                                             Answered once below, here again - (beepster) - (8)
                                                                 And the rest? - (drook) - (7)
                                                                     What's to stop it? - (beepster) - (6)
                                                                         Further - (beepster) - (2)
                                                                             This prevents it - (drook) - (1)
                                                                                 Fine - (beepster)
                                                                         But that's not the VP's job. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                             she should have just said run the country like cheney does - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                 Readme in my posts. - (Another Scott)
                                                 Um, that article also says that the VP... - (Another Scott) - (12)
                                                     who sits in that funny seat at the head of the senchamber? - (boxley) - (11)
                                                         Sitting there doesn't give them power to do anything. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                                                             On the rules... - (beepster) - (9)
                                                                 doesnt count because palin prolly didnt know that :-) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                     Sure, cause everyone already knows - (beepster)
                                                                 Originally, slavery was legal too. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                                                     The criticism all said - (beepster) - (5)
                                                                         With a vengeance? - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                                             You are kidding, right? - (beepster) - (2)
                                                                                 Re: You are kidding, right? - (malraux) - (1)
                                                                                     Well said. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                             her youngest child isnt hers! vengeance indeed -NT - (boxley)
                                         Ok, I think I see what you're doing. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                             And she did - (beepster) - (7)
                                                 We'll have to agree to disagree. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     What fun is that? -NT - (beepster)
                                                 Barking at the moon - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                     so sound bytes are us wins over the body of work? - (boxley) - (3)
                                                         Unparseable. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                             uncheck yer dear leader tab -NT - (boxley)
                                                         Why yes - (beepster)
                                 There is that Large Hadron Collider Spirit! -NT - (folkert)
             True believers on both sides. - (malraux) - (1)
                 Heh. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Read it more carefully - (rcareaga) - (10)
             Oooh. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 again, no - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     Interesting. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     sullivan is right you know - (boxley)
             Then why all the apologies? - (beepster) - (5)
                 she is country folk, must be backward and ignorant -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                     No, she actually sounds ignorant. - (malraux) - (3)
                         stood up to cheney, is that antics of an idiot? - (boxley) - (2)
                             Ignorant != idiot. - (malraux)
                             Re: stood up to cheney, is that antics of an idiot? - (folkert)

The biggest giveaway is they always have slightly too specific of an answer to literally every question.
279 ms