IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well aren't they silly.
There are other "crops" which can be processed to produce biofuel but aren't edible, so they don't eat into the food crop. I believe kudzu qualifies, and there are a number others. Some of them yield quite a bit more than mere corn.

Interesting that the biofuels "industry" chose corn et al. And I'm a little surprised it seems to have fallen apart so quickly.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

New Here's a good scenario
We have a kudzu problem here in the States, but we couldn't convince anyone that they could make any money using it for biofuels. So, push the corn angle until it hits critical mass and implodes. Sheepishly suggest that kudzu is the answer and watch them run like Oklahoma Sooners.

Smile,
Amy
New hemp being much more multiuse
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Still means less overpriced food
The problem with biofuels is insufficient, arable land. Land growing inedible crud is still land not growing food sold to poor markets at a reasonable price. The WTO could run a policy of growing sufficient food around the globe to keep prices reasonable and only growing inedible crops on the spare land but I can't see that happening.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New The biofuel industry chose corn because . . .
. . they could combine lobbying pressure with the powerful grain lobby to put irresistable pressure on congress critters. This biofuels thing has nothing at all to do with energy efficiency, energy independence or global warming and everything to do with money. All those other considerations are a convenient cover to get support from various grass roots enthusiasts.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Besides...
(Currently) It takes nearly 7% more energy to make a gallon of ethanol from Corn than a gallon of ethanol provides.

At least that's is the rumors I've been hearing for a few years.

In any case, originally, I thought it was supposed to make gasoline burn cleaner, but not a replacement.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0  2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
Alternate Fingerprint: 09F9 1102 9D74  E35B D841 56C5 6356 88C0
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2
New That 7% may be low . . .
. . but how can we know with so many people obfuscating the figures?

Yes, ethanol was originally just an additive to replace toxic MTBEs which were leaching into the groundwater, mainly to raise the octane rating. Then it got political.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Do you *ever* use "etc", or do you think "et al" means...
...*exactly the same* as "etc" used to mean?

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New Etc=things, et al=people....HTH :-)
Smile,
Amy
New HT... Whom, exactly, do you think you're H'ing?
New I know, I know...
meant to go up one notch and forgot.

Now the roasting will be on me. (re: the other thread)
Smile,
Amy
New etc is where you keep the configurations for bin HTH
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Not really sure, now that I think about it.
I know 'et al' and 'etc' are different, though only marginally. I don't know why I started using it, but I seem to use 'et al.' to mean "and others", which is literally correct, but grammatically incorrect when meaning things not people. I had been taught that 'etc.' meant "and so on" which is correct in modern usage, but not literally correct. To my thinking, the difference between the two is mostly the former implies a fixed (but not necessarily known) list, whilst the latter implies an open-ended list.

Perhaps it's because 'etc' is so overused - finding something else when the overuse annoys me is one of my traits.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

New Cetera="everything else", alia="other things"
Cetera="everything else", alia="other things"

Easy to tell apart in these other idomatic expressions:

"Ceteris paribus" means "everything else being equal"

"Inter alia" means "Among other things"

If they made diving boards
six inches shorter -
think how much sooner
you'd be in the water.
-- Piet Hein
     so much for biofuels - (boxley) - (25)
         The free market will provide. - (warmachine) - (5)
             You're right - (imqwerky) - (4)
                 It's worse than that... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     I would say, "Unbelievable" - (imqwerky) - (2)
                         "Nothing that doesn't "? So then it IS "Unbelievable"...? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             oops - (imqwerky)
         Rejoice! The creation of the Third World middle class! - (warmachine) - (4)
             the landowners will be quickly dispossesed by the diktat -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                 Ever the Optimist, Aren't we? :-)P -NT - (imqwerky)
                 I'll go with that - (warmachine) - (1)
                     zimbabwe fine example -NT - (boxley)
         Well aren't they silly. - (static) - (13)
             Here's a good scenario - (imqwerky)
             hemp being much more multiuse -NT - (boxley)
             Still means less overpriced food - (warmachine)
             The biofuel industry chose corn because . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Besides... - (folkert) - (1)
                     That 7% may be low . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Do you *ever* use "etc", or do you think "et al" means... - (CRConrad) - (6)
                 Etc=things, et al=people....HTH :-) -NT - (imqwerky) - (2)
                     HT... Whom, exactly, do you think you're H'ing? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         I know, I know... - (imqwerky)
                 etc is where you keep the configurations for bin HTH -NT - (boxley)
                 Not really sure, now that I think about it. - (static) - (1)
                     Cetera="everything else", alia="other things" - (GBert)

Reillusionment... what a concept.
142 ms