IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Democrats Trusted More Than Republicans on 10 Key Issues

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Democrats are currently trusted more than Republicans on all ten issues measured in Rasmussen Reports tracking surveys. Democrats even have slight advantages on National Security and Taxes, two issues "owned" by Republicans during the generation since Ronald Reagan took office.

On National Security, 46% now trust Democrats more while 43% prefer the GOP. On taxes, the Democrats have a five point advantage, 47% to 42%. Democrats enjoy double digit advantages on ethics and government corruption, the War in Iraq, Immigration, Education, Social Security, and Healthcare.

Issue Dem GOP Net Dem Advtg.

Nat'l Security 46% 43% +3
Taxes 47% 42% +5
Abortion 45% 38% +7
Economy 48% 40% +8
Ethics & Corruption 43% 32% +11
War in Iraq 49% 37% +12
Immigration 47% 33% +14
Education 50% 35% +15
Soc. Security 50% 34% +16
Healthcare 57% 30% +27

[link|http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/democrats_trusted_more_than_republicans_on_10_key_issues|source]

lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

[link|mailto:golf_lover44@yahoo.com|contact me]
New sounds like the sheeple are truly stupid
on tax issues they trust demos more? to do what, ensure that the guv get every dam dime?
on abortion, give them, stop them, pay for them, trust them to do it? what?
economy? the government determines that? Since when?
eddication in gummint schools?
wonder about polls some times.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Sure they are; they voted for Bush AGAIN in '04.
Say, you wouldn't happen to belong to that stupid part of the sheeple, would you?

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New read me in my posts suomi boy :-)
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

New I did. You keep defending him. That *scares* me.
New go back further, I explicitely stated who I would vote for
twasnt shrub
thanx,
bill

New What,you saying you *don't* defend him at every opportunity?
OK, so maybe you don't belong to that stupid part of the sheeple -- that makes it if anything even *more* scary how you keep defending him at every opportunity.

Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New I dislike the " I's hates bush so It must be impeachable"
mentality. Rather use pragmatic judgements based on facts and precedent not hopes and feelings.
thanx,
bill

New Good nutshell
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Not speaking for anyone else, but I think GWB has committed
impeachable offenses.

First, what are impeachable offenses:

Foreword
I am pleased to make available a staff report regarding the constitutional grounds for presidential impeachment prepared for the use of the Committee on the Judiciary by the legal staff of its impeachment inquiry.

It is understood that the views and conclusions contained in the report are staff views and do not necessarily reflect those of the committee or any of its members.

Peter W. Rodino, Jr.
February 22, 1974

The impeachment of Warren Hastings, first attempted in 1786 and concluded in 1795, is particularly important because contemporaneous with the American Convention debates. Hastings was the first Governor-General of India. The articles indicate that Hastings was being charged with high crimes and misdemeanors in the form of gross maladministration, corruption in office, and cruelty toward the people of India.

Two points emerge from the 400 years of English parliamentary experience with the phrase "high Crimea and Misdemeanors." First, the particular allegations of misconduct alleged damage to the state in such forms as misapplication of funds, abuse of official power, neglect of duty, encroachment on Parliament's prerogatives, corruption, and betrayal of trust. Second, the phrase "high Crimes and Misdemeanors" was confined to parliamentary impeachments; it had no roots in the ordinary criminal law, and the particular allegations of misconduct under that heading were not necessarily limited to common law or statutory derelictions or crimes.

B. The Intention of the Framers [Return to Top]

The debates on impeachment at the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia focus principally on its applicability to the President. The framers sought to create a responsible though strong executive; they hoped, in the words of Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts, that "the maxim would never be adopted here that the chief Magistrate could do no wrong. " Impeachment was to be one of the central elements of executive responsibility in the framework of the new government as they conceived it.

The constitutional grounds for Impeachment of the President received little direct attention in the Convention; the phrase "other high Crimes and Misdemeanors" was ultimately added to "Treason" and "Bribery" with virtually no debate. There is evidence, however, that the framers were aware of the technical meaning the phrase had acquired in English impeachments.

Ratification by nine states was required to convert the Constitution from a proposed plan of government to the supreme law of the land. The public debates in the state ratifying conventions offer evidence of the contemporaneous understanding of the Constitution equally as compelling as the secret deliberations of the delegates in Philadelphia. That evidence, together with the evidence found in the debates during the First Congress on the power of the President to discharge an executive officer appointed with the advice and consent of the Senate, shows that the framers intended impeachment to be a constitutional safeguard of the public trust, the powers of government conferred upon the President and other civil officers, and the division of powers among the legislative, judicial and executive departments.

The following is from a report written and released by the Judiciary Committee in 1974 in the aftermath of the Watergate crisis.

[link|http://www.cftech.com/BrainBank/SPECIALREPORTS/impeachment.html|Constitutional Grouns for Impeachement] 

Bill, there is a clear set of documentation for the belief that the constitution allows, actually calls for the impeachment process to used to safeguard the country from harmful administration. You may not agree with that view of the impeachment process, but it is not wishful thinking on the part of the authors of the linked document.

You also may not agree that GWB has done enough harm to the country to warrant impeachment. So be it, but there is precedent for the view that impeachment is in the realm of possibilities to be discussed in regards to GWB.

Please either argue against the above document or argue that GWB hasn't done enough damage to the country to be impeached. If you can't or wont, then dismissing discussion of his impeachment as wishful thinking is not warranted anymore.
Seamus
New of course the idiot is impeachable
for wiretapping without court oversight with no plausable denialbility

for recinding pussy communists

for recinding habeus corpus

for recinding paddilla's civil rights as an american citizen

for suspending habeus corpus

for issuing a presidential finding of emperorship on may 9th this year

not for invading Iraq
not for his incompetant humps in charge of federal prosecutors and fema
not for invading afghanistan
not for telling congress to go fuck themselves
not for being a fundie christian
not for being anti abortion
not for being who he was when he was elected

The link you cite is not a confidence poll as you are suggesting it is. I will disagree with it as has others.
thanx,
bill

New Actually if you read the document
he is impeachable for:

for invading Iraq
for telling congress to go fuck themselves

It falls under betrayal of trust and encroachment of Congressional prerogatives:

First, the particular allegations of misconduct alleged damage to the state in such forms as misapplication of funds, abuse of official power, neglect of duty, encroachment on Parliament's prerogatives, corruption, and betrayal of trust.

again from the above linked document.

The issue of whether he will be impeach or not is another issue.

I think they should impeach both Bush and Cheney, but that won't happen. If the only choice is impeaching Bush and getting Cheney or leaving Bush in office, in the short term you probably do more harm getting Cheney as president, but long term leaving Bush in office will continue to erode our standing in the world.

Seamus
New wrong on both counts
congress told him to go invade iraq whenever
telling congress to fuck themselves is every patriotic americans duty.
re-read andy jackson vs supreme court, you dont have precedent behind you
thanx,
also wonder why you are going back to 74 for insight when you have a perfectly good grounds for impeachment document much closer to our time :-)
bill

New No not wrong.
The document from 1974 has a rather through reading of the history and meaning of impeachment. A more impressive document than anything from 1998. Impeachment is a little used instrument, for very good reason. It is not something to be taken lightly. Nor do I think I am taking it lightly.

Impeachment is not tied to a set criminal code, so precedent is not as important as it with a criminal case. Congress is free to decide what constitutes impeachment so it can be free to protect society from unforeseen and unprecedented events.

Contemporary comments on the scope of impeachment are persuasive as to the intention of the framers. In Federalist No, 65, Alexander Hamilton described the subject of impeachment as:

". . . those offences which proceed from the misconduct of public men, or, in other words, from the abuse or violation of some public trust. They are of a nature which may with peculiar propriety be denominated POLITICAL, as they relate chiefly to injuries done immediately to the society itself."

If you are talking about Andrew Johnson, which refers the impeachment trial and the presentation of evidence, not the meaning of high crimes and misdemeanors.
Seamus
New again, I said Jackson vs supreme court
he was handed a ruling stating that he could not remove native americans west of the mississippi. He did it anyway, told the court to kiss his ass. Bush was given the consent of congress to invade iraq, so you cant use the invasion as an impeachable offence. You seem to be of the opinion "I dont like Bush lets impeach" doesnt work that way. If you had sat thru the clinton hearings (I did, not just the news bites) you would find there is a lot more than politics to an impeachment process.
thanx,
bill

New Yes you did but it is less relevant to this than you think
Given consent doesn't cover what he did to the intelligence in getting the authorization nor does it cover his his failure to plan for the occupation. Both are impeachable offenses because of the harm done to the country. The term high crimes and misdemeanors replaced the maladministration because maladministration was to vague. The clear intent of the impeachment clause of the constitution is the ability to remove from office major incompetents such as Bush.

If it is not a dislike of him or his politics, it is all about the harm he is doing to the country. The have enough other charges to impeach, but impeaching without dealing with everything he has done wrong to the country, invites some future Rove clones to interpret what this administration did with the war with Iraq as permissible.
Seamus
New I can name quite a few presidents who did more harm to this
country than bush. Lets see, his butchers bill is under 4k
Economy is still staggering along
He has only participated in 2 regime changes (so far)
our occupation of
dominican republic
philipines
germany
japan
cuba
nicaraugua
vietnam
panama etc etc etc was handled well in the first 5 years?

other than his complete attacks against our civil rights which he hasnt yet caught up to lincoln, list the ireeparable harm you claim
thanx,
bill

New Oh Well, Then - - -
I see how your comparative caliper works -

So if we just wait till another civil war occurs (about when the corporate Representatives have moved to the Magenta Zone), a walled-off concertina-wired Escape from DC - the sequel... compound thing -

Then we just may be permitted to think of taking serious action to remove this dull-witted regime, here at home. Zzzzzzz all the way to late '08.

Gosh, that's awfully calculating of you, Box.
I Knew calculators; calculators were friends of mine..

Mr. Box ... You're no Calculator.

.....go ahead and putt -
it'll be at least a half minute before the blast wave hits

New re-read my post
when were the troops due home from Bosnia? Christmas about ten years ago wasnt it? My compatative caliper is fine. Take a longer look than the last 8 years. He is still a first rate idiot. I have said so repeatedly. The "I'se dont likes him so lets impeach" is what gets my skivvies in a skid. If you are going to compare occupations by all means do so. Its not like we havnt had plenty of practice fucking them up over the last 200 years or so. You want to remove the regime? By all means do so. I am willing to assist. At least have a carefully reasoned plan.... never mind
thanx
bill

New Everyone does Bill
We disagree about the nature of the meaning of high crimes and misdemeanors. I have shown the evidence I have supporting my definition of high crimes and misdemeanors. You on the other hand are still stuck on a criminal code mindset.

Impeaching him without holding him accountable for the way he started and executed the war on Iraq is irresponsible. And it is not based on wishful thinking.
Seamus
New Where to begin
Bringing Lincoln into the discussion is pointless. He was a real war time president who held the union together. Should he have held it together? Maybe not. Lincoln's civil rights violations were temporary. IMO Bush wants his violations of our civil rights to permanent.

What past presidents did to harm the country is not the standard by which we judge the current president's impeachability. As an aside, because Congress didn't try to stop abuses when they happened, such as the invasions of the Philippines and Cuba, future presidents were emboldened to wreak more havoc on sovereign nations, esp in Central and South America.

I never said that the damage Bush did was irreparable. The Iraq war, the circumventing of the Geneva conventions, fighting a war on terrorism that has encourage more people to want to attack us, using signing statements to ignore the congress and the constitution is not enough damage to the country to impeach him?

Seamus
New nope, there is a laundry list of impeachable items
The Iraq war

now that is not an impeachable offence as congress told him to go ahead. If you bring up false intel then that is on cheneys plate if you can prove it.

the circumventing of the Geneva conventions
so? Clinton, Bush 41, dunno about carter or ford, reagan, nixon, lbj, kennedy, etc all flouted the geneva conventions. Also there is a good legal argument that the people in gitmo could be classified as pirates which has legal standing instead of this enemy combatant mumbo jumbo.

using signing statements to ignore the congress and the constitution
to which there is a specific legal remedy that congress isnt interested in pursuing, and its not impeachment

Those arguments boil down to "I dont care if other presidents did the same and damaged the country, I dont like bush so impeach him"
thanx,
bill

New We have been over this
I disagree with your opinion about what is impeachable and you disagree with my opinion. And they are opinions, not fact, not matter how much state the opposite regarding your opinion.

Just because I believe he should be impeached, esp regarding the war, doesn't mean I think Congress will actually impeach him. But, they should have to explain why they are not.
Seamus
New Im curious about your stance on signing statements
If a signing statement is acted upon and congress determines its a egrgeous breach a suit could be filed directly to the supreme court for a ruling on the signing statement. They will either agree with the legislators or the executive. A problem with a clear solution. So why do you think that is impeachable? Congress hasnt even determined that even one of these signing statements are egregious to date. If congress doesnt think its worth suing over, I highly doubt its impeachable, unless of course he ignore the USSC and continues.... THAT would be impeachable.
otherwise agree to disagree
thanx,
bill

New In his signings statements he has basically said he isn't
going to follow the intent of the law he just signed. I will search for specifics examples later, as I need to take the dogs out to exercise.
Seamus
New I beleive you as I have read the same
however impeachment isnt the remedy of first resort and there is a process to handle those signing statements that no one in congress seems interestd in following
thanx,
bill

New Impeachment isn't the first response but I added them
to show a pattern of abuse of the constitutional separation of powers.

Democrats are letting them get lost in their confusion of what to do next.
Seamus
New the democrats are too concerned about getting the whole hog
during the next election cycle to give a rats ass about the country
thanx,
bill

New Signing statements go back to Monroe
Reagan, Bush 41 and Clinton all used them...with progressively more legal challenge included. Clinton even had his Justice dept write up a formal statement that abdicated his duty to enforce specific parts of the law that he disagreed with.

GW has taken this slide down the slope to an entirely new level, of course, because it is very difficult to put the cat back in the bag.

However, the ABA is working it. If we could get a line item veto rule passed, this would likely all go away.

But calling the use of signing statements impeachable is..well it isn't.
New Minor nit
If we could get a line item veto rule passed, this would likely all go away.

Line-item vetos are on budgetary items, not bills. Most signing statements I've seen refer to bills.
New John Dean had an interesting commentary on them.
[link|http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dean/20060714.html|FindLaw] from July 2006:

[...]

Bush's defenders have portrayed his actions with signing statements as standard operating procedure for all recent presidents. In particular, they have cited Presidents Reagan, George H.W. Bush, and Clinton's signing statement practices as precedents. But Bush's use of the signing statement is not only non-standard, it is egregious, and plainly itself unconstitutional.

The Constitution, and the president's oath of office swearing to uphold it, require a president to veto legislation he finds unconstitutional, and send it back to Congress so its members can correct the flaw. The system is simple and wise - and Bush is subverting it.

In over six years in office, Bush has not vetoed a single bill. Therefore, he has avoided the political costs those vetoes would have rightly entailed. Instead, Bush has issues a steady stream of signing statements claiming that the very bills he is signing have constitutional problems.

Bush's extraordinary and unconstitutional use of signing statements is making the laws enacted by the representatives of the people irrelevant. It is also making a mockery of due process: How can anyone have prior notice of what the law says, if so many laws come with a warning that the President may disregard some of their provisions?

[...]

Cheers,
Scott.
New GWB has taken this...
...previous abuse of the office and stretched it to its "logical" conclusion for Washington...which is as far as it can be stretched without snapping in half.

IMO, the SC needs to take one of these laws and invalidate it by saying, specifically, that the signing statement is unconstitutional.
New Rats and constitutional law dont exactly go together

New Shooting the messenger (Dean) doesn't help the argument...
New There is a line item veto.
Just veto any bill that contains more than one item. Just vote on one thing at a time.
That would keep all those idiotic pork riders off. It would also keep the pols on the hook as they wouldn't be able to say "I had to vote for the blah bill because it was tied to the snort bill that is SO importent to the CHILLLDREEEEN..."

It would be interesting if everybody in government just did their friggin job.

On a different topic... If we deleted all posts that contained the "But somebody else did it!" excuse/justification and the derivitive posts, we would have about 7 posts left in this forum. It's getting past boring and into disgusting.
New 2 things
Hurray!!! Several states have the one item per vote rule. Some critics say it would make Washington screech to a halt because there would be too many bills to process.

I support it. Think its a fabulous idea.

Second...the problem (that seems largely relegated to box and myself) is the contention that somehow this latest (P)resident invented all of this crap. He should be (blah blah blah) because he (blah blah blah).

It seems, sometimes, that it has to be pointed out that this crap has been happening for far longer. Hell...maybe they should thank him instead of trying to impeach him for showing them all the ways their Fed government has been screwing them for nearly 40 years.
New Heh!
Washington screeching to a halt because they had to pass so many bills would be wonderful. That would imply that they actually had to read all of each bill and know what it was about (I think somebody proposed a bill like that which was immediately rejected.) Further, if they only had time to pass necessary bills, maybe government would be less intrusive. Just a thought. I think it was Sam Clemens who said something like "No mans liberty or wallet is safe when congress is in session."

Thanking W for showing us how badly government can foul up, would be like expecting the Cambodians to thank the Kymer Rouge for reminding them that death exists. At a certain point there are no more excuses. W is way past that point. I suspect that the last bunch of presidents have screwed things up so badly that our government as it stands, is past repair. I'd like to be wrong...
New as a country we have survived worse

New Think Hookes modulus
My thought is that each time government process/policy is twisted in a new direction, the "heat of deformation" will produce stress and brittleness that will eventually cause the material to break. The effect is cumulative.

Our civil war caused enormous stress and brittleness which is still spreading. It's not over either. It will outlive all of us. I assume that was what you where referring to. If not, I don't really care about Indians. Sorry.

Recent (since and including Kennedy) presidents have done a lot of twisting and mangling. The damage done, destruction of the Constitution, corporate citizenship, manipulation of states rights... an endless list, has caused cumulative material damage to our society that only massive treatment can correct.

That will not be pretty.

my last 0.02 to this discussion. Not only am I broke, but I'm not dumb enough to argue with you when you've been popping your redneck pills.
New +5 Originality - an apt scienterrific application of Hooke!
-- exceeding the modulus of elasticity of any [color=] [psi=] [object=neck]

New Signing statements
I am not saying he invented any of this crap. My view on signing statements is not that the use of signing statements is impeachable but it is just one tool this president as used to subvert the constitution and place itself as the sole interpreter of the law.

Bush is using signing statements like line item vetoes. Yet the Supreme Court has held the line item vetoes are unconstitutional. In 1988, in Clinton v. New York, the High Court said a president had to veto an entire law: Even Congress, with its Line Item Veto Act, could not permit him to veto provisions he might not like.

[link|http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dean/20060113.html|John Dean at FindLaw] 

His use of signing statements goes well beyond what preceding presidents have used them for. Other presidents have push the line and tried to grab power from congress and the courts, but this president operated from a different perspective. Instead of trying to grab power, IMO he started his administration with the believe that the presidency already had these powers and he doesn't have to explain his view of presidential powers to anyone; including Congress. That is why he is different from other presidents and why I am treating him differently than I would treat other presidents.

Congress has done anything about signing statements, so I doubt they put them in to any articles of impeachment - not that I think they are going to impeach him either.
Seamus
New another rat reference, why is he an authority on anything?

New Why is he a rat? Because he felt a greater loyalty to the
country than to Nixon?
Seamus
New yeah, right. He had a greater loyalty to his
virgin asshole which is why he ratted out to avoid prison.
thanx,
bill

New So there is nothing he has done since then to redeem himself
in your eyes?
Seamus
Expand Edited by Seamus May 31, 2007, 06:08:36 PM EDT
New what has he done?
rat days
[link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dean|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dean]
Dean pled guilty to obstruction of justice before Watergate trial judge John Sirica on November 30, 1973. He admitted supervising payments of "hush money" to the Watergate burglars, notably E. Howard Hunt, and revealed the existence of Nixon's enemies list. On August 2, 1974, Sirica handed down a sentence of one to four years in a minimum-security prison. However, when Dean surrendered himself as scheduled on September 3, he was diverted to the custody of U.S. Marshals and kept instead at Fort Holabird (near Baltimore, Maryland) in a special "safe house" holding facility primarily used for witnesses against the Mafia. He spent his days in the offices of the Watergate Special Prosecutor and testifying in the trial of Watergate conspirators Mitchell, Haldeman, Ehrlichman, Robert Mardian, and Kenneth Parkinson, which concluded on January 1, 1975. Dean's lawyer moved to have his sentence reduced, and on January 8, Sirica granted the motion, adjusting Dean's sentence to time served.
post rat days what has he accomplished since then, he claims to have written a book about watergate, ended up in court over it and has written about law since. He is too flawed to have an legal argument without the stench of corruption attached. Same reason I wouldnt buy into Liddy's version of what the constitution means. At least liddy wasn't a rat.
thanx,
bill

New So he shouldn't have told the truth?
New he should have been building a case to get all of them
instead of rolling over like a trick when caught.
I would have had a lot more respect if he had said I am respnsible but will not discuss anyone elses role.
And done his time.
thanx,
bill

New Has anyone else in the US government ever done that?
I'm not aware of an example.

Isn't it better for someone to come forward and tell the truth about their illegal activities, and what they know about the illegal activities of others, than to do what, say, Scooter Libby did?

I think it's much better to come clean in sworn testimony, even if it's late. I also think his obligation to the country was much greater than to his former colleagues.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who notices that Amazon's "Surprise Me" excerpt of Libby's novel [link|http://www.amazon.com/Apprentice-Novel-Lewis-Libby/dp/0312284535/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product/002-5664532-8022445|The Apprentice] has some weird discussion among hunters about having their way with a deer...)
New scooter did the right thing
so did Liddy, they have the courage of their convictions, even if they are wrong. Either one has priciples and stands on them or one does not. Dean clearly does not stand for anything except what is good for dean.
Dean did not "come forward" he was hoisted squealing like a pig after being caught. Come forward it aint. I guess I am of a different era. You beleive what you are doing is right and stck by it. The vagaries of circumstance really shouldnt determine morals practiced.
thanx.
bill

New Scooter lied to FBI, obstructed justice, comitted perjury.
Somehow I thought that if someone was held up as an example of standing up for the "courage of their convictions", then they should also accept the consequences.

[link|http://thenexthurrah.typepad.com/the_next_hurrah/files/52507_fitzgerald_sentencing_memorandum.pdf|Libby's a whining liar].

Dean [link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2002/05/31/AR2005112200792.html|talked to the Senate investigators] before he was granted immunity. He understood that Nixon was damaging the country and he stood up and took the heat for testifying against a pretty [link|http://edition.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/02/13/cq/poll.html|popular president]. He served time.

For someone who's so idealistic about so many things, I'm surprised that you think that Libby's somehow honorable. It seems to me that our system of government and our judicial system cannot work if people lie under oath and obstruct justice.

But different strokes, I guess.

Cheers,
Scott.
("But what about Clinton?" That's a different thread...)
New "The courage of their convictions, even if they are wrong"?
That's what makes Scooter "Perjury" Libby and G. Gordon "Zippo" Liddy good guys, in your eyes??? Wow. That's just, um... Wow. (To [probably] misquote an LRPDism.)

You DO realise, of course, that that also makes Adolf a good guy, according to you? (Along with every single one of his SS henchmen -- the more unrepentant of their crimes against humanity they were, the *more* "good guys" they were, in your reasoning.)

Are you beginning to see why I've been calling you "scary" a few times, recently? Maybe you think I was kidding. If so, you are mistaken: I was not.

New principled!=good in any case
We were talking about criminal elements in government that broke many laws excluding murder. Different class than the crowd you are describing. Gleefully carrying out burglaries, paying off henchmen and then ratting out your fellow crooks makes that person a lesser being than those who gleefully carried out burglaries, henched then did their time with a no comment. Why are you scared? I cant afford to fly to DC much less finland :-)
thanx,
bill

New Because you, and people like you, get to vote over there.
Actually, I've been scared of where the fuck you guys -- Americans, the ones who vote on who gets to be the most powerful man not only in America but the WORLD, with his finger hovering over The Button -- are taking us all ever since 2004. "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice...", and all that.

You (all) voted in the Chimp-in-Chief *again*. How the fuck could anybody sane NOT be scared of you?

New Given that the Ohio elections were probably rigged . . .
. . by Dibold, we probably didn't actually elect him for the second term, and with the Florida fiasco we may not have actually elected him to the first term either.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Sorry, not good enough; shouldn't have been even close.
The fact that he got more than, say, ten percent, the second time around, that alone means that something's wrong as Hell over there. Heck, the fact that he even got the nomination already does.

New yer saying it was better in the old days?
only white property owners could vote
senators were appointed by governors
president was appointed by the electoral college which was run by the state legislators
I'll bring it up during the next MLK rally and see how it flies.
By the way, how come mr KGB Putin got re-elected? Case of pot and kettle etc.
thanx,
bill

New WTF are you gibbering about? Yes, of course it was! In...
...the "good old days" under, say, Clinton -- he only screwed an intern; he did *not* fuck the Constitution up the ass with a chainsaw.

Now cut it out with the stupid strawmen, willya, before everybody thinks you ARE as stupid as you're trying to sound here.

Thank you.

New clinton didnt trample the WHAT!
of course he did although not the shattering the current crew is doing. Makes me glad you lot cant vote here,
thanx,
bill

New OK, so read it as "Clinton didn't *shatter* it" in stead.
Still makes it the good old days, compared to the total ass-reaming the current crew is giving it.

WTF is *wrong* with you, that you insist on pretending this huge difference is as nothing?!?

You might be glad, but that is precisely what has me so scared: That *you*, OTOH, *are* allowed to vote over there.

New No you tell everything you know and take the consequences
That would be impressive. Libby was, and I assume he still is, blindly loyal.

Blind loyalty has no place in a representative government.
Seamus
New What I see in this analysis is -
Exactly the rationale for when..

{{
Street kid wants to get into local gang.
Big kids say, OK punk - go shoot some random cop.
[like, quite recently - in Sackamenna CA - killed him dead]
The watching, wise-quipping gangbangers, all knowing Code-of-Silence,
(having seen the latest massively popular Mafioso-deifyin Tee Vee series) - to the point of memorizing the comical-tough-lines to drop on new 13 yos:

watch. the. kid. go. out. door, clearly enroute to
1) Acceptance by this Lovely Group
2) 17 virgins -- but first:
3) Life sans parole.

And.. that's All that any One of them next Does.
}}

These kids..? Not. a. RAT. in. the. bunch.

{{{Applause by The Troops}}}

New so a trained lawyer is no better than a street punk?
nevermind...
but you would think he would have more morals than that? nevermind,,,
grumble,
bill

New We were talking about RATS
You were saying: ~ if you TELL, you are a RAT.

And I say.. that's Mafioso doggerel (and <13 yo territory) == prior to ever Getting to any intro-to personal 'ethics' course. (The subject-topic just hasn't come up - for many.) For some - it never Does. Those last stay pre-teen for liff. Dying as winos or CIEIOs.

Some admire {{a Lot, I guess}} - those guys/psychopaths who can hold their hand in a candle flame till it smells lika a Baghdad street.. then, \ufffd l\ufffd 007, declare - the trick is in not minding..

(I could say ~~ "when you TELL" and why you tell, if.. you do tell.)
But I wouldn't want to disturb your simple homily by incinerating it, prematurely - now would I?

As to Lawyers any so-called 'Profession'al?
(We profess to ___ and to ___ and: pay us $Lots/hour because We Profess ___)
See above.
See Foulwell; see lawyer-Nixon, see the University-educated Nazis amidst the mob. See Reiser (made neat file systems though, eh?)
See MBAs at Enron. Professionals - all.

Hint - a foolish consistency is
New Liddy was/is psycho
Having a ghost writer and trying to protect his wife's reputation doesn't detract from his current research.

If you can find flaws in his arguments, lets hear them.
Seamus
New why dont you read a real constitutional scholar
instead of a hack whose only claim to fame is to get caught breaking the law then sliming all over himself when caught. He should have done the same thing ashcroft did on his hospital bed, "thats against the law" full stop. Then he would have some gravitas in regards to constitutional law.
John Hart Ely
Gerry Spence
Thurgood Marshal
David Golove
Lawrence A Tribe
None of the above are lowlifes and actually have experience in something other than investment banking, mopery and ratting out fellow co-conspirators
thanx,
bill

New Constitutional scholars
The ABA panel of constitutional scholars find Bush's use of signing statements constitutional problematic.

Tribe, while not agreeing with the panel does think that Bush's use of signing statements show that he is over stepping his constitutional authority in the signing statements by taking on Congress's role of regulating conduct of executive branch officials. Which is my I think his use of signing statements is needed to show the pattern of abuse of his office that warrants impeachment.
Seamus
New just for grins, what decade of life are you in?
no obligation to answer of course. thanx,
bill

New duplicate
Seamus
Expand Edited by Seamus May 31, 2007, 05:27:10 PM EDT
New The pre-impeachment hearings re Nixon
were televised, donchaknow? .. even way-back then.

Anyone paying attention during those - got the full spectrum of the breadth of the process, and of the pivotal effect of the quality of rhetoric AND content (or any lack thereof.)

'Jackson', or any ref thereto today - is of NO USE to a post-literate, fatally preoccupied nation of shoppers and trivia hounds. Tee Vee OTOH - is where they liff.

New Just to be clear
When I say he is impeachable for the invasion of iraq, it is the lying about the reasons for war.

The democrats are vulnerable on this issue, but they need to responsible for what they did as well.
Seamus
New the inteligence estimates need to be publicised
the intel committee was given in depth intel. Clinton for example admits she had never read them. Until those are published we dont really know what was with held from congress do we? I imagine it was close to what was in the presidents daily briefing. If it was, the people who prepared them should be punished, not the receiptiants
thanx,
bill

New There is a lot to the intelligence side than just the PDB
But, sticking with the daily briefs, the people preparing the briefs are not the ones to go after it is the one(s) who set up the alternative intelligence gathering and analysis units that provided the intelligence used in the PDB. Cheney certainly had his hand in this.
Seamus
New absolutely, you just pointed out the problem
cheney not bush set up all of that and he is impeachable for that if found to deliberately mislead the commander in chief. Bush cannot be got at that way.
thanx,
bill

New Yes he can
As president he is ultimately responsible for not only letting it happen, but actively using it to forward his agenda.
Seamus
New not without evidence you cant

New This is the crux of the matter
You are looking for beyond a reasonable doubt proof of specific actions. The Bush administration has governed in such a way as to keep as little evidence of the actual decisions made as possible Their goal is not to be accountable to Congress. If you govern that way and screw up this bad, you deserve to be impeached. It is also a betrayal of trust, which the historical precedent shows that betrayal of trust is an impeachable offense. If he is not impeached, why wouldn't future presidents follow this president's lead and actively avoid congressional oversight?

Two points emerge from the 400 years of English parliamentary experience with the phrase "high Crimea and Misdemeanors." First, the particular allegations of misconduct alleged damage to the state in such forms as misapplication of funds, abuse of official power, neglect of duty, encroachment on Parliament's prerogatives, corruption, and betrayal of trust. Second, the phrase "high Crimes and Misdemeanors" was confined to parliamentary impeachments; it had no roots in the ordinary criminal law, and the particular allegations of misconduct under that heading were not necessarily limited to common law or statutory derelictions or crimes.

[link|http://www.cftech.com/BrainBank/SPECIALREPORTS/impeachment.html|Link] 
Seamus
New I would expect future presidents to
actively avoid congressional oversight, its the nature of the position. Just like reagan ignored congress meddling in his foreign affairs found a way to get money to the contras.
An executive who is the rolling buttplug for congress is useless in my opinion.
thanx,
bill

New And vis a vis a Congress that is a rubber stamp for...
...the Imperial President is worthless as well.
Odoru aho ni miru aho!
Onaji aho nara odoranya son son!
New yup, strong beleiver in tight gridlock

New He is exactly who he was when he was elected
Seamus
New The "not for"s are bs.
Name someone, not in your imagination of a lefty, who has called for impeachment for any of those reasons. The only one you are even close on is Iraq and the offense there is lying to congress about the reasons to invade, not the invasion itself. If anyone ever called for impeachment over the invasion of Afghanistan, I have yet to see it. As for the others? Hogwash.

I have a feeling this is a "leftys swirl clockwise" stance.

-----------------------------------------
Atheism is a religion in the same sense that not collecting stamps is a hobby.
New He's impeachable...but he won't be impeached.
Do you really want Cheney as President?
New Sure!
His bionic ticker wouldn't survive the self-imposed paranoia that the "whole world is out to get me". (Which it is, but that's another story.) We'd have President Pelosi long before the Congress (sensing the eventual outcome) would ratify Al Gonzales as the new VeeP.
jb4
"It's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a firsthand assessment."
George W. Bush, when asked if he believed Iraq was in a state of civil war (Newsweek, 26 Feb 07)
New s /Al Gonzales/Jeb Bush/ :-/
New Jeb ain't **that** stupid!
jb4
"It's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a firsthand assessment."
George W. Bush, when asked if he believed Iraq was in a state of civil war (Newsweek, 26 Feb 07)
New one other thing, there isnt 60 votes so by your definition
he isnt impeachable :-) same argument the clinton folks used
thanx,
bill

New Not yet there isn't, but there's still time
If they don't get the votes to convict, they still need to do to keep it from happening again and regaining their lost powers.

Seamus
New Technically speaking
he's impeachable, just not convictable.

Same thing as Clinton. (Cept I think the votes would be there, if Cheney wasn't)
     Democrats Trusted More Than Republicans on 10 Key Issues - (lincoln) - (88)
         sounds like the sheeple are truly stupid - (boxley) - (87)
             Sure they are; they voted for Bush AGAIN in '04. - (CRConrad) - (86)
                 read me in my posts suomi boy :-) -NT - (boxley) - (85)
                     I did. You keep defending him. That *scares* me. -NT - (CRConrad) - (84)
                         go back further, I explicitely stated who I would vote for - (boxley) - (83)
                             What,you saying you *don't* defend him at every opportunity? - (CRConrad) - (82)
                                 I dislike the " I's hates bush so It must be impeachable" - (boxley) - (81)
                                     Good nutshell -NT - (bepatient)
                                     Not speaking for anyone else, but I think GWB has committed - (Seamus) - (79)
                                         of course the idiot is impeachable - (boxley) - (71)
                                             Actually if you read the document - (Seamus) - (68)
                                                 wrong on both counts - (boxley) - (57)
                                                     No not wrong. - (Seamus) - (56)
                                                         again, I said Jackson vs supreme court - (boxley) - (55)
                                                             Yes you did but it is less relevant to this than you think - (Seamus) - (53)
                                                                 I can name quite a few presidents who did more harm to this - (boxley) - (52)
                                                                     Oh Well, Then - - - - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                         re-read my post - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                             Everyone does Bill - (Seamus)
                                                                     Where to begin - (Seamus) - (48)
                                                                         nope, there is a laundry list of impeachable items - (boxley) - (47)
                                                                             We have been over this - (Seamus) - (46)
                                                                                 Im curious about your stance on signing statements - (boxley) - (45)
                                                                                     In his signings statements he has basically said he isn't - (Seamus) - (44)
                                                                                         I beleive you as I have read the same - (boxley) - (43)
                                                                                             Impeachment isn't the first response but I added them - (Seamus) - (42)
                                                                                                 the democrats are too concerned about getting the whole hog - (boxley)
                                                                                                 Signing statements go back to Monroe - (bepatient) - (40)
                                                                                                     Minor nit - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                                                                                                         John Dean had an interesting commentary on them. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                                                                             GWB has taken this... - (bepatient)
                                                                                                             Rats and constitutional law dont exactly go together -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Shooting the messenger (Dean) doesn't help the argument... -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                     There is a line item veto. - (hnick) - (34)
                                                                                                         2 things - (bepatient) - (33)
                                                                                                             Heh! - (hnick) - (3)
                                                                                                                 as a country we have survived worse -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                                                     Think Hookes modulus - (hnick) - (1)
                                                                                                                         +5 Originality - an apt scienterrific application of Hooke! - (Ashton)
                                                                                                             Signing statements - (Seamus) - (27)
                                                                                                                 another rat reference, why is he an authority on anything? -NT - (boxley) - (26)
                                                                                                                     Why is he a rat? Because he felt a greater loyalty to the - (Seamus) - (25)
                                                                                                                         yeah, right. He had a greater loyalty to his - (boxley) - (24)
                                                                                                                             So there is nothing he has done since then to redeem himself - (Seamus) - (23)
                                                                                                                                 what has he done? - (boxley) - (22)
                                                                                                                                     So he shouldn't have told the truth? -NT - (Another Scott) - (14)
                                                                                                                                         he should have been building a case to get all of them - (boxley) - (13)
                                                                                                                                             Has anyone else in the US government ever done that? - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                                                                                                                                 scooter did the right thing - (boxley) - (10)
                                                                                                                                                     Scooter lied to FBI, obstructed justice, comitted perjury. - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                                                                     "The courage of their convictions, even if they are wrong"? - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                                                                                                                                         principled!=good in any case - (boxley) - (7)
                                                                                                                                                             Because you, and people like you, get to vote over there. - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                                                                                                                                                 Given that the Ohio elections were probably rigged . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                                                                                                                                                     Sorry, not good enough; shouldn't have been even close. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                                                                                                                                         yer saying it was better in the old days? - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                                             WTF are you gibbering about? Yes, of course it was! In... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                                 clinton didnt trample the WHAT! - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                                     OK, so read it as "Clinton didn't *shatter* it" in stead. - (CRConrad)
                                                                                                                                             No you tell everything you know and take the consequences - (Seamus)
                                                                                                                                     What I see in this analysis is - - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                                                                         so a trained lawyer is no better than a street punk? - (boxley)
                                                                                                                                         We were talking about RATS - (Ashton)
                                                                                                                                     Liddy was/is psycho - (Seamus) - (3)
                                                                                                                                         why dont you read a real constitutional scholar - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                                                                             Constitutional scholars - (Seamus) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                 just for grins, what decade of life are you in? - (boxley)
                                                                                                             duplicate -NT - (Seamus)
                                                             The pre-impeachment hearings re Nixon - (Ashton)
                                                 Just to be clear - (Seamus) - (9)
                                                     the inteligence estimates need to be publicised - (boxley) - (8)
                                                         There is a lot to the intelligence side than just the PDB - (Seamus) - (7)
                                                             absolutely, you just pointed out the problem - (boxley) - (6)
                                                                 Yes he can - (Seamus) - (5)
                                                                     not without evidence you cant -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                                                         This is the crux of the matter - (Seamus) - (3)
                                                                             I would expect future presidents to - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                 And vis a vis a Congress that is a rubber stamp for... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                                                     yup, strong beleiver in tight gridlock -NT - (boxley)
                                             He is exactly who he was when he was elected -NT - (Seamus)
                                             The "not for"s are bs. - (Silverlock)
                                         He's impeachable...but he won't be impeached. - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                                             Sure! - (jb4) - (2)
                                                 s /Al Gonzales/Jeb Bush/ :-/ -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     Jeb ain't **that** stupid! -NT - (jb4)
                                         one other thing, there isnt 60 votes so by your definition - (boxley) - (2)
                                             Not yet there isn't, but there's still time - (Seamus)
                                             Technically speaking - (Simon_Jester)

TARDIS powered!
255 ms