1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is vim the windows version of vi?
If so, I have both.

I still like the old one best.

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
New Nope, 'vim' is 'vi, improved'
[link|http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/08/24/145234|http://www.linux.com...d=05/08/24/145234]
For a comprehensive look at the differences between vi and vim, you can enter :help differences at the vim command line.

New features include multiple windows, syntax highlighting, multiple levels of undo, and color themes. All of these improvements are made possible by the use of vim plugins.
Also, if your version has scroll bars and mouse support it's actually gvim. I haven't noticed any difference between Linux and Windows versions, assuming you have permissions set up correctly. (I haven't compared vi on Linux and Windows.)
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
Expand Edited by drewk Aug. 11, 2006, 02:35:10 PM EDT
New I seem to have both kinds
[link|http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/08/24/145234|http://www.linux.com...d=05/08/24/145234]

For a comprehensive look at the differences between vi and vim, you can enter :help differences at the vim command line.

Hmmm, I can't tell what I have from that, does the DOS version tell you what it is somewhere when you open it?

New features include multiple windows, syntax highlighting, multiple levels of undo, and color themes. All of these improvements are made possible by the use of vim plugins.
Also, if your version has scroll bars and mouse support it's actually gvim. I haven't noticed any difference between Linux and Windows versions, assuming you have permissions set up correctly. (I haven't compared vi on Linux and Windows.)

I actually have two versions, I have a DOS version that runs from the Dos Shell and is used with the C prompt, and I have a version that is windows supported with mouse and scroll bars that turned out to be easier to use with some of my specific editing needs.

I still like the DOS one best though. ;)

Edit: The Windows one (VIM) seems to be VIM 63. I can't find what the DOS one is.

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
Expand Edited by Nightowl Aug. 11, 2006, 02:49:02 PM EDT
Expand Edited by Nightowl Aug. 11, 2006, 02:50:41 PM EDT
New If it has multiple levels of 'undo' it's probably vim
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Hmmm I only know of one undo command.
Do you mean that I can undo more than one move, is that what multiple levels of undo is in the DOS version? I'm really curious now as to which one I have. I'll have to ask John when he gets home.

Brenda

New What's the command you use to start it?
Look in the shortcut. If it's 'vi', then it's vi. If it's 'vim', then it's vim.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New vi :)
John checked the version and here's the official name:

Xvi 2.15 Oct 24, 1992.

Brenda

Edit: I'm adding to this post in hopes that it will show up again on the right date. (crossing my claws)

Expand Edited by Nightowl Aug. 12, 2006, 12:08:55 PM EDT
New Of course vim can be aliased to "vi"...
Glad to be of some confusion... ;-)
jb4
"So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing? Think about it. I haven't."
Stephen Colbert, at the White House Correspondent's Dinner 29Apr06
New Re: Of course vim can be aliased to "vi"...
Of course. ;)

But I have both, the real vi, and vim. ;)

Brenda

I am SCREWED - (broomberg) - (71)
         :-( Get him a copy of UltraEdit. - (Another Scott) - (16)
             UltraEdit is great - (cforde)
             UE costs money. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 OT: Shouldn't you be on your honeymoon? -NT - (Yendor) - (1)
                     he's gotta come up for air once in a while. ;-j -NT - (jbrabeck)
             That is one of the current Win choices. - (broomberg) - (11)
                 nano? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Install requested - (broomberg)
                 I use nano as my default editor. - (folkert) - (8)
                     Hmmm - (broomberg) - (7)
                         No "undo" - (broomberg) - (5)
                             Try this - (drewk) - (2)
                                 I've played with cream - (broomberg) - (1)
                                     I won't respond to that post - (drewk)
                             Undo is only necessary for htose who make mistaeks. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 You can force it to be the default - (folkert)
                         No, I use them all. I am not a programmer. - (folkert)
         Never "learned" vi, eh? I like him already! - (jb4) - (50)
             Sigh - (broomberg) - (49)
                 Well... - (jb4) - (37)
                     I think auto-complete is a macro - (drewk) - (36)
                         Depends on who you ask - (jb4) - (13)
                             So have them fix it - (broomberg) - (3)
                                 Yeah...comma...right - (jb4) - (2)
                                     Sigh - (broomberg) - (1)
                                         I don't make large edits on these systems - (jb4)
                             Is vim the windows version of vi? - (Nightowl) - (8)
                                 Nope, 'vim' is 'vi, improved' - (drewk) - (7)
                                     I seem to have both kinds - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                         If it has multiple levels of 'undo' it's probably vim -NT - (drewk) - (5)
                                             Hmmm I only know of one undo command. - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                 What's the command you use to start it? - (jake123) - (3)
                                                     vi :) - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                         Of course vim can be aliased to "vi"... - (jb4) - (1)
                                                             Re: Of course vim can be aliased to "vi"... - (Nightowl)
                         Yes, I mean vim - (broomberg) - (21)
                             Was I right about that being a plugin? - (drewk) - (20)
                                 No idea - (broomberg) - (19)
                                     Hmm, gvim vs vim - (drewk) - (18)
                                         I prefer gvim - (broomberg)
                                         No law says you have to use a mouse and scroolbars - (jb4) - (16)
                                             :7000<ENTER> or 7000G -NT - (broomberg) - (2)
                                                 But the day goes faster hitting Page Down 200x. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                 Assuming, of course, that you know the target line... - (jb4)
                                             No, that's not what I was going to say - (drewk) - (11)
                                                 I've seen enough of them. - (admin)
                                                 Here - (broomberg) - (7)
                                                     And the last time you needed to edit /etc/termcap was...? -NT - (Yendor) - (6)
                                                         About 21 years ago - (broomberg) - (5)
                                                             YPB -NT - (hnick) - (1)
                                                                 Wasn't so bad. - (broomberg)
                                                             I think the term would be "pathological example" - (drewk)
                                                             Oops, time travelling on the reboot - (drewk)
                                                             No, really, that's what happened - (drewk)
                                                 10K lines? Pshaw. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                     Yes, I **did** know that. - (jb4)
                                             That's what incremental search is for... -NT - (admin)
                 Emacs. - (admin) - (10)
                     You can do that in vi, too - (drewk) - (9)
                         I don't see that in the man page. - (admin) - (4)
                             Nope, it's a plugin - (drewk) - (3)
                                 Looks somewhat similar - (admin) - (2)
                                     Yeah, it's not as general-purpose - (drewk) - (1)
                                         Right. - (admin)
                         nano can edit files on remote machines... - (folkert) - (3)
                             Emacs is as simple as you make it. - (admin) - (2)
                                 "Modal == teh sukc" for newbies, indeedly do. - (folkert) - (1)
                                     What bad habits would they be? (new thread) - (static)
         why cant he use the xeditor on solaris? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             'X' - not character mode -NT - (broomberg)
         Emacs with CUA Mode? - (altmann)

I've had worse!
231 ms