IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The psychology of the aid is important too.
My FIL had very poor hearing and tried out several digital magic-ear contraptions. Even though all the tests indicated that his hearing was much better with them than with his old, in-ear, analog aids, he hated them. He could hear too well with them and never could get used to the new ones.

Background noise is a big problem with hearing aids. Especially if your hearing has been bad for ages, suddenly being able to hear things that you could as a kid takes a lot of getting used to. If you're a cranky old man who's used to simply turning the TV up all the way and telling people to speak up, well, suddenly being able to hear street noise, and air conditioner groaning, and the refrigerator motor, etc., etc., is a big change.

I like your idea of multiple programs:

1) Idyllic pasture.
2) Opera.
3) Noisy Bar.
4) Mother in Law.
5) Telemarketer.

:-)

I assume those days are coming, but maybe you can help them along. If you believe the hype, everyone's going to be wedded to an iPod and/or cell phone soon, so we'll be used to carrying around noisemaking gizmos. Having a [link|http://www.dspguide.com/|DSP] plugin for it would seem to be a nice feature. You'll have to be quick though; I assume Bose, et al., are already working on such a thing.

Best of luck to you and Thane.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: The psychology of the aid is important too.
Indeed, along with the bizness/social aspect of joining the Damaged (you know.. like females with normal body dimensions.) It's likely easier to do an arabesque around conditioned xenophobia if younger; if older - then the caricatures of (what Else is broken??) are apt to trump. Me - I don't care if 'they' think its a You-pod or a defibrillator.

Nice book. But I shan't be designing the clockwork.. for one thing, that's mandatory production of small ckt-boards; mainly though, I lack the EE experience of breadboarding a cpu-based project, let alone devising an interface == levels on levels on..

So I'll be looking for a sorta-DSP 'kit' - already possessing a serviceable enclosure, amp for grafting, in/out. There are several good-fidelity small 'speakers' with their own 'enclosure' sorta-compensated, as there are good teeny mics. Usual tedium running down 'lecronics pieces in small qty. Gadget would have to include the microcode and designer's concept of the physical controls. (A scope, swept osc. will answer the rest, for those of us without a spectrum analyzer to hand.)

Your list of curve titles is the idea, but behind those are lots of ??? re notch filters, filters with variable slope for 'attack' - and likely the best of these data are $uppressed, just like Doze source (even to the point that - there might be some guffaws at revelation of the assumptions, in some of the rationale ;-)

Anyway, audio is today full of mavericks as well as the usual surfeit of purveyors of $100+/ft "speaker waveguides", tested for skin-depth effects, into the GHz.. Which-all is why I don't expect soon to get much beyond an improved mic and (easy) an accurate ear-speaker + decision on its placement.

Besides, there's something unHealthy/idiotic about spending more for an amplifer than for one's Wheels.

Poco \ufffd poco

New Reminds me of the 4/22/2004 "Real Life Adventures" comic.
I can't find it on the [link|http://content.uclick.com/content/rl.html|web] - the archive doesn't seem to go back that far, but it's in the Summer/Fall 2006 issue of Washington Consumer's Checkbook magazine (p.86):

Husband sitting in his chair, between 2 speakers. His wife says:

Let me get this straight. You spend $2000 on speaker cables because you can "hear the difference," but you can't hear me calling you from the kitchen?

:-)

This issue has articles on audio equipment, supermarket price comparisons, buying hearing aids and lots of other things. Unfortunately, the articles are only available online to subscribers ($34 for 2 years). [link|http://www.checkbook.org|http://www.checkbook.org] - they have branches in several areas around the country. It's a good resource for major purchases and for finding home repair contractors, etc.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Unfair!
I believe that there is a male audio context avoidance gene that discriminates between "oh honey, can you come here a second?" which means she wants to rearrange the family room, and 'NICK which means I'm there seconds later saying "what? what?"
     I need hearing aids. - (inthane-chan) - (13)
         :( - (Yendor)
         What? - (bepatient) - (2)
             I've needed them since I was six. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 My nephew's in the same boat - (SpiceWare)
         Are there any resources available that can help you ? - (imqwerky) - (1)
             I'm just whiney. - (inthane-chan)
         Re: I need hearing aids. - (Ashton) - (4)
             The psychology of the aid is important too. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Re: The psychology of the aid is important too. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Reminds me of the 4/22/2004 "Real Life Adventures" comic. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Unfair! - (hnick)
         Ive needed them for years, you should have - (boxley) - (1)
             I'll get them next Friday. -NT - (inthane-chan)

Most of the posts on this thread are from some idiot named "this user is blocked."
90 ms