IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I need hearing aids.
That's the official diagnosis of the ear doctor. Not only do I need hearing aids, but the cheap ones ($1250-$2000 EACH, not per pair) are unlikely to help me where I need the help most, in crowded situations where multiple conversations are going on.

The price range? $2500-$3000.

Each.

How do I know he's not getting a kickback? Well, he gave me a list of a bunch of different places, and I can shop around and pick the best deal, then no matter where I get it, he'll help me get them tuned. Insurance won't pay for the hearing aids, but they will pay to have them tuned.

I didn't need a downpayment anyways... :P

Edit: Correction, insurance will pay $300 every 36 months towards hearing correction devices. Yaay.
Hurt me if you must, but let the duckie go!
Expand Edited by inthane-chan July 28, 2006, 05:22:14 PM EDT
New :(
That sucks, Thane. Sorry to hear that the hits just keep on comin' for ya. Good vibes, 'n all that jazz. But not jazz hands.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New What?
Just kidding. Sorry about the hearing aids....truly sucks getting old.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New I've needed them since I was six.
This is damage going back to then because of ear infections at the time. Of course, my parents didn't have the money, so I didn't bother, so I never went to places with lots of white noise (clubs, bars, etc.) and I can get by in not-so-noisy situations with my awesome lip reading skills.

Now, I'm going dancing, going to bars, etc, and it REALLY sucks. I can't hear half of what people say to me, and I mishear the other half. That's what pushed me to check it out.

And I just climbed out of the hole I'd been in since I moved out... Back into it again. :(
New My nephew's in the same boat
though he's only bad off in one ear.
Darrell Spice, Jr.            Trendy yet complex\nPeople seek me out - though they're not sure why\n[link|http://spiceware.org/gallery/ArtisticOverpass|Artistic Overpass]                      [link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare]
New Are there any resources available that can help you ?
I would think that there would be some nonprofit organization that can get at least one hearing aid for you.

Hang in there, Thane. When it starts raining soup, hold up your bowl.

Smile,
Amy

[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Amy%20Rathman|Pics of the Family]
New I'm just whiney.
I'm sure I make too much to be a real charity case, especially since this doesn't affect my ability to work.

Gonna go around and hit up the fam, see what they say.
New Re: I need hearing aids.
I have to cobble up a solution, too - but having been immersed in audio and being no stranger to the physics involved (and enough of: how the ear ackshully 'hears' stuff / what it means when the teeny cilia have broken-off, etc.) --

I'm still 'innovating'.

As I see it: the absurd prices for clever on-the-fly compensation are determined by

A) the vanity factor: make it too-small (imagining you can somehow get around the physics, spacing, separation of mic/'speaker' and physiology) and

B) the White-coat + 'mysterious' (to most) techno 'instruments, and the patter which capitalizes [literally] upon the ignorance factor; the unawareness of how such audio manipulation is today dirt-cheap.. if it's in a small box and not crammed into a vitamin pill that disappears into the ear canal.

I'm still evaluating (casually.. did I mention I'm lazy about research 'projects'?) what I might do with some bargain-steal close-outs of a half-cigarette-pack sized light-plastic box with an actually decent amp, 3 sliders for a crude filter-set - and how, practically - to do much more than the simple filters installed.
(I have some spares, should you want to play, too..)

My next stage would be evaluating the numerous Bluetooth or similar high-quality (ie near-flat actual SPL-response) over-ear speaker/transducer gadgets, though I'd not mind a small wire - depending on all factors.

Some minor factoids, theoretical and as verified-by-ear..

1) You need more than one 'program' - for hearing an orchestra VS ordering a Czechvar in a Coors hangout.

2) The problem is finding the design work already done, but not ultra-miniaturized. A digital controller would make n-programs an instant matter, permit cute things with those clever filters with steep sides.. to tailor for a variety of environmental situations. As with those other omnipresent 'programmable' boxes - the interface! determines just how much whiz-bang cleverness you can first arrive at through personal experiment.. then sanely control, on-the-fly.

3) The ACID test of any 'solution', as regards speech is ever: the Sibilants; you need to hear someone speaking all those intermingled ff's, ss's, ph's and particularly th's! Before/After - with great concentration. Somehow you have to restore.?. a bit of the 2000 - 4000 Hz response (and of course - perpetually stay Way-away from landing jets and Acid Rock-halls..) There aren't many of those critical teensy hairs left in the cochlea area: no amount of AMPlification can wiggle a cilium that's departed for other dimensions.

But my approach is irrelevant - if you want this thing to be near-invisible.
Vanity costs not only $$ but severe compromises in achievable audio performance and your ability to have that flexible control in a form YOU can Access (not via jeweller's screwdriver or magic boxes owned by the Vendor. Hmmm Windoze again.)

I gauge my hearing delta-% via merely cupping hands behind ears:
the noted difference is as good as a Fourier analyzer! if one has some idea of what happens in what octaves of speech, music (sirens, etc.)

Astounding how much $$ can be extracted to get.. not much more improvement than this simple test. Of course, this level Can be improved upon - but I don't believe (yet) that any of the teeny gadgets can come close to what could be done cheaper-while-larger.

I'll find out. Alas too.. while the $$ remains absurd - there seems little actual competition, probably because of the white-coat syndrome, a plethora of small vendors hawking SMALL items.. pretty similarly limited - and the fact that most people are too lazy to find out even a little about the elements of the Problem / and the means for addressing (at least many..) of the underachieving body-parts.

As one who despises Hype at any intensity.. I was prepared for the above marketing - but even with a local ~ept guy with some fancy equipment: wasn't prepared for the lack of candor about the actual limitations of (and my brief right-there tests of) even the high-priced spread.

It's as if all these guys have tacitly agreed that we shall all settle for a really bitchin 4-cylinder side-valve with chrome valve-cover: ie. it's as if Redmond had fucked this industry exactly the way it lies to itself.
(So even if I had a free-pass for one of these Ferraris with a '47 Plymouth engine.. I'd demur. Guess it's a curse, knowin even a little-Shit -- immersed in a culture that prides itself on wishful dumbth.) Oh well..

Rotsa ruck in the 'auditions', though - maybe I lied, and you'll find something that will -Suddenly- let you hear that triangle! in Petrouchka, the crystal purity of Sergei Nakariakov's pianissimo high-G or even.. hear the rain, again.

Ashton

:opTy

DEAF be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore deaf, nor yet canst thou kill me.
From rest and sleepe, which but thy pictures bee,
Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow,
And soonest our best men with thee doe goe,
Rest of their bones, and soules deliverie.
Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell,
And poppie, or charmes can make us sleepe as well,
And better then thy stroake; why swell'st thou then;
One short sleepe past, wee wake listen eternally,
And deaf shall be no more; deaf, thou shalt die

-- to coin a phrase
Expand Edited by Ashton July 28, 2006, 07:09:29 PM EDT
New The psychology of the aid is important too.
My FIL had very poor hearing and tried out several digital magic-ear contraptions. Even though all the tests indicated that his hearing was much better with them than with his old, in-ear, analog aids, he hated them. He could hear too well with them and never could get used to the new ones.

Background noise is a big problem with hearing aids. Especially if your hearing has been bad for ages, suddenly being able to hear things that you could as a kid takes a lot of getting used to. If you're a cranky old man who's used to simply turning the TV up all the way and telling people to speak up, well, suddenly being able to hear street noise, and air conditioner groaning, and the refrigerator motor, etc., etc., is a big change.

I like your idea of multiple programs:

1) Idyllic pasture.
2) Opera.
3) Noisy Bar.
4) Mother in Law.
5) Telemarketer.

:-)

I assume those days are coming, but maybe you can help them along. If you believe the hype, everyone's going to be wedded to an iPod and/or cell phone soon, so we'll be used to carrying around noisemaking gizmos. Having a [link|http://www.dspguide.com/|DSP] plugin for it would seem to be a nice feature. You'll have to be quick though; I assume Bose, et al., are already working on such a thing.

Best of luck to you and Thane.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: The psychology of the aid is important too.
Indeed, along with the bizness/social aspect of joining the Damaged (you know.. like females with normal body dimensions.) It's likely easier to do an arabesque around conditioned xenophobia if younger; if older - then the caricatures of (what Else is broken??) are apt to trump. Me - I don't care if 'they' think its a You-pod or a defibrillator.

Nice book. But I shan't be designing the clockwork.. for one thing, that's mandatory production of small ckt-boards; mainly though, I lack the EE experience of breadboarding a cpu-based project, let alone devising an interface == levels on levels on..

So I'll be looking for a sorta-DSP 'kit' - already possessing a serviceable enclosure, amp for grafting, in/out. There are several good-fidelity small 'speakers' with their own 'enclosure' sorta-compensated, as there are good teeny mics. Usual tedium running down 'lecronics pieces in small qty. Gadget would have to include the microcode and designer's concept of the physical controls. (A scope, swept osc. will answer the rest, for those of us without a spectrum analyzer to hand.)

Your list of curve titles is the idea, but behind those are lots of ??? re notch filters, filters with variable slope for 'attack' - and likely the best of these data are $uppressed, just like Doze source (even to the point that - there might be some guffaws at revelation of the assumptions, in some of the rationale ;-)

Anyway, audio is today full of mavericks as well as the usual surfeit of purveyors of $100+/ft "speaker waveguides", tested for skin-depth effects, into the GHz.. Which-all is why I don't expect soon to get much beyond an improved mic and (easy) an accurate ear-speaker + decision on its placement.

Besides, there's something unHealthy/idiotic about spending more for an amplifer than for one's Wheels.

Poco \ufffd poco

New Reminds me of the 4/22/2004 "Real Life Adventures" comic.
I can't find it on the [link|http://content.uclick.com/content/rl.html|web] - the archive doesn't seem to go back that far, but it's in the Summer/Fall 2006 issue of Washington Consumer's Checkbook magazine (p.86):

Husband sitting in his chair, between 2 speakers. His wife says:

Let me get this straight. You spend $2000 on speaker cables because you can "hear the difference," but you can't hear me calling you from the kitchen?

:-)

This issue has articles on audio equipment, supermarket price comparisons, buying hearing aids and lots of other things. Unfortunately, the articles are only available online to subscribers ($34 for 2 years). [link|http://www.checkbook.org|http://www.checkbook.org] - they have branches in several areas around the country. It's a good resource for major purchases and for finding home repair contractors, etc.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Unfair!
I believe that there is a male audio context avoidance gene that discriminates between "oh honey, can you come here a second?" which means she wants to rearrange the family room, and 'NICK which means I'm there seconds later saying "what? what?"
New Ive needed them for years, you should have
the graph of your audiology test, post the numbers and see if any around here have some input.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New I'll get them next Friday.
     I need hearing aids. - (inthane-chan) - (13)
         :( - (Yendor)
         What? - (bepatient) - (2)
             I've needed them since I was six. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 My nephew's in the same boat - (SpiceWare)
         Are there any resources available that can help you ? - (imqwerky) - (1)
             I'm just whiney. - (inthane-chan)
         Re: I need hearing aids. - (Ashton) - (4)
             The psychology of the aid is important too. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Re: The psychology of the aid is important too. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Reminds me of the 4/22/2004 "Real Life Adventures" comic. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Unfair! - (hnick)
         Ive needed them for years, you should have - (boxley) - (1)
             I'll get them next Friday. -NT - (inthane-chan)

Ok, on the internet awesomeness scale, this rates roughly a 153 on a scale of 1 to 10.
81 ms